Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://gematsu.com/2019/03/yakuza-...a-game-id-like-to-change-the-game-drastically

Yakuza series general director on Ichiban Kasuga game: “I’d like to change the game drastically”

At the beginning of the “Yakuza Fan Meeting” stage event at Sega Fes 2019, Sega chief creative officer and Yakuza series general director Toshihiro Nagoshi commented on the new Yakuza game starring Ichiban Kasuga for PlayStation 4.

Here is Nagoshi’s comment:

Given that the game is in the action adventure genre, I’d like to change the game drastically. We’ve tried changing things in past titles, though our audiences often claimed it to be “minor changes.” This time, we want our change to feel like an online game would become from version 1.0 to 2.0, not just another big patch. This process takes time.

We released Judgment a little while ago, and that too was part of the experimentation for this change. The energy we’re pouring into this is on par with how hard we tried to make the first Yakuza. We’re looking forward to the day you can be surprised by that change.

Switching the main character from Kiryu Kazuma to Kasuga Ichiban also was a good idea for this change. If the personality differs, the objective changes, if the objective changes, the game itself changes. They speak differently, and they think and act differently.

Changing the main character would open up new paths and help change the notion of “it’s a Yakuza game right? You just walk around a city right?”,that many have.

We want to use this change of main characters in the best way possible. When it comes to the story, before we had many scene that we’re teary or made you and the main character infuriated at something. This time, we’re thinking about putting in more comedic and goofy scenes that connect into the end, which has an impact of the player’s emotions.​

Thanks, Games Talk.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
never quite understood why they decided to dress the Kiryu replacement in literally Yuya's outfit but there you go.

I'll be ready when it's ready and then not ported for awhile after that

Modron

Arcane
never quite understood why they decided to dress the Kiryu replacement in literally Yuya's outfit but there you go.
Same reason they made you change Kiryu's nice black suit to that terrible white double breasted pin striped suit in zero.

Misco Jones

Savant

I can't wait to be part of Majima Construction.

kU0MWJE.jpg

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Kiwami 2 is a great addition, I still enjoy the fluidity of the Dragon Engine's combat system the most, and it's got a massive amount of content in general (very notably the Clan Creator minigame is hugely improved from 6). I've still probably liked Yakuza 6 the most though, due to the strength of the story and themes it has (one detail to note here too is that while Kiwami 2 clearly had a smaller budget, they've greatly improved the performance of Dragon Engine in it, it has no problem handling transparent windows for example which easily caused it to chug in Yakuza 6).

Modron

Arcane
Kiwami 2 is a great addition, I still enjoy the fluidity of the Dragon Engine's combat system the most, and it's got a massive amount of content in general (very notably the Clan Creator minigame is hugely improved from 6). I've still probably liked Yakuza 6 the most though, due to the strength of the story and themes it has (one detail to note here too is that while Kiwami 2 clearly had a smaller budget, they've greatly improved the performance of Dragon Engine in it, it has no problem handling transparent windows for example which easily caused it to chug in Yakuza 6).
I heard Kiwami 2 had a lot of content removed compared to the original release was I misinformed? Not Yakuza 3 levels of butchery but still a decent amount is what someone here said.

CyberModuled

Savant
I heard Kiwami 2 had a lot of content removed compared to the original release was I misinformed? Not Yakuza 3 levels of butchery but still a decent amount is what someone here said.
Most content is in tact (it added loads of mini games overall and even a short side campaign where you get to play as Majima for a bit) but they ended up cutting out a portion of the map in Chapter 11 of the original (Shinseicho) and lazily end up making you do it in the parts of Osaka you've already been to. Along with that, it does change a few things in cutscenes (most specifically some music choices, the most somewhat infamous one being changing one fairly dramatic scene's track (Crazy Ken Band) with uh... this). Along with that, it has the same issue as Kiwami 1 where the animations are just the same ones from the PS2 which makes the lip sync even more noticeably bad since Dragon Engine has more graphical fidelity than 5/0's engine. Localization is fine from what I've heard and they didn't cut anything out at least.

Probably worth trying out both versions imo (Y2 PS2 is pretty short overall) though since I feel both feel different in tone due to different graphical styles alone (along with the fact that I just personally hate Dragon Engine combat so far so I'm not going to act like I'm not biased).

Deflowerer

Arcane
Soundtrack seemed a bit watered down as well from what I heard, but, oh well, that has been the general direction iirc with the sound. Only the PS2 games really had that crunchy "bones on the pavement" guitar feel.

At least on PC this can be easily modded back in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom