Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
From what I recall, Steam has always honored glitched purchases even when they were pennies on the dollar. Technically, yes, buying something for $0.00 isn't a purchase, but still... more bad publicity for Epic.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAc...ma_ethics_epic_games_store_illegally_removes/

Oh boy.

While I don't think anyone would actually sue, it's another mark on EPIC. Also another case of foot in mouth :)
To be honest a purchase implies you actually spent money on the game. So, just to make an example, the game was 0.01$ you purchased it, but if it was totally free like in this case, they can revoke it.

Letting a Russian run consumer relations, or whatever Galyonkin's title is, was perhaps the biggest mistake on Sweeney's part. We're incredibly shit at it. It comes from the Soviet times, when everything was in short supply and shopkeepers were gods endowed with the power to allow or deny you access to even basic necessities, while customers were relegated to the level of beggars. Now the times have changed, but the attitudes of Russian business runners didn't - they still treat everyone as if they were beggars with no other choice. So with a Russian at helm, the demise of EGS is only a matter of time.

Honestly the only shitty thing I can think of is the dude getting like 13000$ each month from Patreon for the SteamSpy project while working for Epic, because I'm pretty sure the dude can access data about Steam to use on the Epic store.

Also:

If you haven't noticed, most skins, dances etc. are based on someone else's work. Epic just puts anything that is popular into Fortnite so kids would buy it (as it's popular stuff) and generate $$$ in this way.

No, Epic doesn't ever pay original artists for anything.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Imagine tomorrow, Capcom, SEGA and a bunch of big publishers suddenly announce they will stick with Steam indefinitely, boom, their games keep selling, they receive warmer reaction on social media without doing anything, easiest win ever :lol:

Imagine that!
But I wonder if you'll cry that their games are exclusive to Steam if they'd do that.

Of course not. And this post just shows how steamtards are just liars and hypocrites. Somebody does exclusives on something other than Steam? Evil incarnate! Somebody does exclusives on Steam? Wow, they're so awesome!

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Exclusive partnership with Epic Games Store

We have some major news to share! PCGamingWiki has signed a new deal with Epic Games to bring PC gaming fixes exclusive to the Epic Games Store. From today, all of our articles will be exclusive to Epic Game Store games, including award winning titles such as Fortnite, Phoenix Point, Heavy Rain and The Outer Worlds.

This deal is a real game changer for our studio, because, thanks to Epic’s support, it is certain that we will be able to update and expand the wiki for years to come.

We are also announcing that we are fully rebranding our website to EpicGamingWiki. To login, you will now need to link and sign in with your Epic Games account. To access content, users will need to spend W-Bucks or 'wikibucks' to buy temporary access. W-Bucks are available to buy from the Epic Game Store.

We want to share our success with all the backers who have helped us get here, so we have a special benefit to announce: if you backed or pre-ordered PCGamingWiki at any time since our crowdfunding campaign until today you will receive a year's free season pass for the wiki, which includes unlimited access to all our articles.

In solidarity with Epic Game Store's lack of features, we have decided to drop support for: forums, refunds, parties, account sharing, version rollbacks, screenshots, groups, marketplace, mod hosting, library sorting and the entire Linux platform as Epic Game Store has no support these features. Staff members have already begun removing all non-Epic Game Store articles and the creation of non-Epic Game Store articles is now prohibited.

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Home

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's a wiki, that has products? WTF?

Also, they're fucking assholes. Thumbs up features = no refunds? Advocating removing Steam games? Scum.

MHtSdpm.jpg

EDIT: Oh I forgot the date, they're early. +M

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is this real life?

Edit:
Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.

Last edited:

cosmicray

Savant
It's a wiki, that has products? WTF?

Also, they're fucking assholes. Thumbs up features = no refunds? Advocating removing Steam games? Scum.

EDIT: Oh I forgot the date, they're early. +M

So the date really gave it away? :roll:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Imagine tomorrow, Capcom, SEGA and a bunch of big publishers suddenly announce they will stick with Steam indefinitely, boom, their games keep selling, they receive warmer reaction on social media without doing anything, easiest win ever :lol:

Imagine that!
But I wonder if you'll cry that their games are exclusive to Steam if they'd do that.

Of course not. And this post just shows how steamtards are just liars and hypocrites. Somebody does exclusives on something other than Steam? Evil incarnate! Somebody does exclusives on Steam? Wow, they're so awesome!
It's about accepting bribes for exclusivity or choosing exclusivity on your free will. If you decide to have your game exclusively on Steam, because that is the biggest PC gaming cummunity, that is understandable. Accepting bribe and putting your game exclusively on an inferior platform will trigger people.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Nah that won't happen. It would be like GOG dropping DRM-free. If you lose your main distinguishing characteristic you might as well shut down operations
The only distinguishing characteristics that have Epic store: lack of functionality and hostile position towards customers. The "charitable" 88% cut is example of standard business practise, similar to luring customers in newly opened store IRL. It's like temporary discount, but for publishers. I don't understand why exists idiots who was hyped about it, because such cut not guarantee that these money will be spent on development team and not cocaine with whores for CEO of publisher company.

passerby

Arcane
If there is no extra money, than it's 100% guaranteed, that no extra money will be spent on development team.
I don't want Epic to win, but I don't mind them making some sheckels until they pressure Valve into lowering their cut, when it happens Epic Store willl be marginalised to selling mostly their own games.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I don't understand why exists idiots who was hyped about it, because such cut not guarantee that these money will be spent on development team and not cocaine with whores for CEO of publisher company.
We already know devs got shit in the case of The Outer Worlds, it's the publisher getting it. So Epic is basically just insurance for publishers. It has jack shit to do with supporting devs. Except maybe for indies with no publisher.

passerby

Arcane
We already know devs got shit in the case of The Outer Worlds, it's the publisher getting it. So Epic is basically just insurance for publishers. It has jack shit to do with supporting devs. Except maybe for indies with no publisher.
Who pays devs salaries and takes all financial risks you commie retard ? No one was stopping Obsidian owners from going all in with all their savings and loans like CDPR, or Larian did and finance it themselves.

The Epic's 12% cut could be just a dumping tactic to remove the competition that cannot maintain such low cut.
It's guaranteed, that Valve can maintain it way easier than Epic.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Who pays devs salaries and takes all financial risks you commie retard ? No one was stopping Obsidian owners from going all in with all their savings and loans like CDPR, or Larian did and finance it themselves.
Sure, if the publisher publishes the devs' next game maybe. But that's not always the case -- in the case of Obsidian we know it isn't. Plus, the future "support" a dev gets from their publisher in return for their game's financial success is not necessarily proportional to the extra % gained. So from the customer's point of view, it's really not clear that buying from Epic will help support the game's devs more than buying from Steam.

passerby

Arcane
Who the fuck cares about Obsidian in such case. If the PC game will make more money, it's most likely that publisher won't be making console exclusives, it's more likely he will publish simillar game, by the same, or another dev.
It's more likely, that some other publisher pick up a dev in the future. If New Vegas wasn't financial success, there would be no publisher interested in financing Outer Worlds now.

I'll put it this way, it's a publisher who provides "insurance" for a dev studio owners, that if their game will be a flop, they will not be personally bankrupt. So there is more people interested in creating and running games studios, if they can get financing from publishers.
If PC game publishing bussiness is more profitable, "insurance" terms are better, or there is easier to even get "insurance" in the first place. That is not mentioning independent devs, for which benefits are direct.
I also think, that thanks to all kickstarters, it's perfectly clear by now that outside of some rare occassion of retarded meddling suit, publishers have no negative impact on quality of games.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
the whole 88 split will be dropped the moment Epic can no longer sustain it.

Nah that won't happen. It would be like GOG dropping DRM-free. If you lose your main distinguishing characteristic you might as well shut down operations

According to zealots on the insufferable GOG forums, this already happened with certain games requiring GOG Galaxy for online features.

Drakron

Arcane
Who pays devs salaries and takes all financial risks you commie retard ?

Depends on what you mean by that, if its a studio owned by the publisher or a independent studio but even that will have similarities.

We know somewhat how the system words, the publisher makes payments for milestones and will pay royalties for copies sold and we know this because publishers have failed to make such payments with a good example being Bethesda and Prey 2 with Human Head, in the end who pays the devs salaries is the studio, not the publisher.

Also by financial risk you mean what? Obsidian is now owned by Microsoft and the Other Worlds is simply being thrown under a bus by Take 2 simply because of that since as a franchise it will now be under Microsoft, Take 2 simply took a bribe and screwed over Obsidian out of spite, in fact this harms their "Private Label" as it serves as a example of what they will do to indies ... as a matter of fact, it makes sense Take 2 knocks out Steam as due to Steam publishing system indies dont really need to bend over to the older established publishers to get their game out in the market since Steams allows then to do that.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I find using shitty game titles to waste good food offensive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom