Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

edgy, violent games (mostly shooters)

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So... I almost started a thread like this yesterday.

But I wanted to focus on psychopath simulators lol. Gore is not enough I want to play something psychologically sinister -- so tired of saving the world. Something dripping with Max Payne-like atmosphere, but with the main character's crazy and nihilism turned to 11. So very specific, I know. But is it so much to ask to play evil incarnate?

I haven't played any of the games mentioned ITT except Blood a long time ago. I was thinking about Hatred since it seems to fit the desired theme, but I heard the gameplay is shit. Is it? Any other suggestions?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

But I wanted to focus on psychopath simulators lol. Gore is not enough I want to play something psychologically sinister -- so tired of saving the world. Something dripping with Max Payne-like atmosphere, but with the main character's crazy and nihilism turned to 11. So very specific, I know. But is it so much to ask to play evil incarnate?

I haven't played any of the games mentioned ITT except Blood a long time ago. I was thinking about Hatred since it seems to fit the desired theme, but I heard the gameplay is shit. Is it? Any other suggestions?
Hatred is shit, best just play Postal 1. Nhilism, sounds a lot like Condemned and Manhunt to me. Though the latter is just regular psycopath stuff.

Martyr

Arcane

if you want psychopath simulators I'd suggest (out of my list): Manhunt, Manhunt 2, Postal 1, Postal 2, Shellshock 67, Hatred. they're all good and worth playing imo.
I played Hatred for a decent amount of time and had lots of fun, never thought the gameplay was shit and the whole game is basically a homage to Postal 1.
like Siveon has mentioned, Condemned and Manhunt come the closest to Max Payne's atmosphere and tone. but as far as I can remember you're playing a cop in Condemned. a very violent, ruthless cop. but he's certainly not evil. crazy would be debatable.

Master

Arbiter

You can try choosing evil options in rpgs.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Hmm, I see there's a Postal Redux, with HD graphics and shit. Any reason not to go with that and stick to the original?

Yeah I know. But rare are the RPGs tailored for an evil playthrough. The atmosphere is rarely there to support it. You end up being a dude that saves the world reluctantly / for money, or does it the whole way and then makes a final evil choice at the end.

Which ones are there? Mask of the Betrayer might be where the psychopath path gets the most support; there's some in PST; SW:KotOR 1-2 for the lulzy muahaha evil; Bloodlines is great and you're a killer vampire but the choices themselves aren't really evil; Fallout, Arcanum, PoE, AoD and ATOM have dark/selfish choices but they're really not psychologically dark or evil IIRC; Tyranny maybe (I haven't played it). What else is there?

bataille

Arcane
Demonophobia. It's an obscure Japanese game, and I'm not sure there's a translation. It's more sickening than edgy. It just crosses that threshold where edginess ends and a creepy death fetish starts.

Harvester. A great absurdist adventure game that just happens to have awful blood and guts spilled all over its second half.

The White Chamber has a lot of fail states that end in edgy gore.

Stasis was suicide galore.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Wolfenstein - New Collosus
dat slide by pregnant Anna was something else

Fallouts death animations

Neanderthal

Arcane
You might laugh at this but Ultima VII had some genuinely fucking violent and disturbing shit, babies being sacrificed by Liches, horrible mutilations, murders, bodies all over place yadda, yadda.

Martyr

Arcane
Hmm, I see there's a Postal Redux, with HD graphics and shit. Any reason not to go with that and stick to the original?

What else is there?

huh, I didn't know a Postal Redux exists. someone give some information!

Temple of Elemental Evil, of course. I always do Chaotic Evil playthroughs. :obviously:
or Prelude to Darkness, side with the rebellion.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Darkness II is a pretty violent FPS. You have two tentacles with mouths that you can use to tear people apart, or grab items like car doors and either guard or throw them to decapitate enemies.

3zFqdII.jpg

Master

Arbiter
If you can play the Suffering and listen to the demonic voice every time, then you trully are a psychopath. This is the test! (spawn intro music playing)

Last edited:

ur dad

Literate

Might not make the "edge" rating as you mostly fight demons in the game though.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Doman : Grzechy Ardana was violent beat 'em up for Amiga clearly inspired by Barbarian games.

1288915053-Doman-6.png

Night Slashers is another title from the same sub-genre that is worth mentioning. You kill zombies and other monsters. Since it's an arcade game, you need to check the game setting through service mode to be sure that you are playing the more bloody version.

2018111411525500-C2E7C4569BE94068D4B78A7978544A97.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom