Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Deleted Member 16721

Game is releasing in a few months, if they are not ready to show some of the good stuff, then believing in some imaginary and yet to be shown magic gameplay that will make everything better, is just delusional.

Yeah okay. I'm sure this is the best quest in the game with the most reactivity, sure. The rest of the quests will just be total garbage in comparison.

Xeon

Augur
Didn't they make FNV in a year or something? if the game is mostly complete then they probably can still complete it and do whatever is needed in 4 months or something. It will probably be buggy tho.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I'm going to guess they weren't prepared to release this soon but Epic needed some kind of big name exclusive and they waived enough cash in front of the publisher to rush the timetable.

2019 was targeted waaay before Epic. Doubt that had any influence.

Also honestly, it doesn't seem that unfinished for me for what 5-6? months out.
There were like 2 non-critical bugs in the whole thing, some unimplented stuff and missing polish.

For a build they basically just compiled from code and immediatly used without much playtesting I'd expect waaaaaaaaaay worse honestly.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
The art design is unexpectedly strong and cool, even if not very original. Humour and combat, however, feel abysmal.
I never liked the basic gameplay in New Vegas, and this thing looks like the same, but worse. Still I have more hope for this, then I do for VtM:B2.
At least, the OW is being made by people who know some shit about cRPGs.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Combat is irredeemable garbage. I can't believe someone might think this to be passable combat any longer. It's been how many years since Unreal Tournament?
I don't know man let's give them that: the slomo aiming looked like it was an improvement over VATS (haven't played the new Failouts though), and location damage in FPS combat is incline. Still looks terrible but it might be tolerable shitty combat? Other aspects of the game look even worse anyways.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Combat is irredeemable garbage. I can't believe someone might think this to be passable combat any longer. It's been how many years since Unreal Tournament?
I don't know man let's give them that: the slomo aiming looked like it was an improvement over VATS (haven't played the new Failouts though), and location damage in FPS combat is incline. Still looks terrible but it might be tolerable shitty combat? Other aspects of the game look even worse anyways.
Fallout 4 is decent shooter,still trash at anything else tho. The slowmo looks pretty meh to me,will go for live action over it.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
lhWvDef.jpg

So it looks like the attributes were changed from the previous footage. 'Endurance' may have been removed or renamed as 'Strength' and 'Willpower' was either dropped or changed to 'Charisma' perhaps?

Seethe

Arbiter
On youtube

Lol, 167 dislikes vs. 205 likes. Incredible how the Epic exclusivity ruined the hype for this game.

It might be that, but for me, it's also that it looks like fucking garbage here. Those gun projectiles are some of the worst VFX I've ever seen in my life. It looks like they're shooting toy guns. The fake recoil animation does not help either.

Fairfax

Arcane
So it looks like the attributes were changed from the previous footage. 'Endurance' may have been removed or renamed as 'Strength' and 'Willpower' was either dropped or changed to 'Charisma' perhaps?
I think they said around that time that the game had a six-letter acronym, so these were probably changed. I don't know if they ever confirmed an anagram, but the current system doesn't have one.

IIRC Cain talked about three physical attributes and three mental attributes in the infamous shapes presentation, so I'd guess the original system was SPICED. Now they have two for body, mind, and personality, so that might explain the changes.

Last edited:

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
This seems like it'll be another Alpha Protocol - a butchered game with a handful of good ideas and elements that only a smattering of people talk about a year after its release.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'd guess the original system was SPICED
Nah, couldn't be. Temperament was always one of the attributes, along with Willpower and Endurance (we knew because of the Flaw that was first revealed). Which is why I suggested T.W.E.A.K.S. at the time. So I'm guessing Willpower got folded in Temperament, and Endurance got axed -- everyone being as enduring, except for variance introduced by Perks, Flaws and game difficulty.

conan_edw
New stats screen has been posted earlier:

Last edited:

Terenty

Liturgist
The art style is ripped straight out of Bioshock infinite, only manages to look even worse graphics wise. What is their obsession with red pink green violet hair? Reminds me of a game called Paradise Cracked with its obnoxious colour palette

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I guess it could be fun with a diplomat/scientist character. But the FPS combat is cancer. And to those that ask what do I want from the combat, it's simple - I want NPCs to use cover instead of strafe-shooting, and coordinate their attacks and movement to cover each other. Even if nothing else changes, this would improve FPS combat a great deal.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Reminds me of a game called Paradise Cracked with its obnoxious colour palette
Its color palette was classic cyberpunk. Anyways that wasn't the worst of its problems, what with the obnoxious turn based exploration. It had good atmospheric music tho IIRC

Duraframe300

Arcane
I guess it could be fun with a diplomat/scientist character. But the FPS combat is cancer. And to those that ask what do I want from the combat, it's simple - I want NPCs to use cover instead of strafe-shooting, and coordinate their attacks and movement to cover each other. Even if nothing else changes, this would improve FPS combat a great deal.

The pitfalls of hybrids. Or more accuratly, how do you accomedate multiple playstyles/builds. And to the point: Meele.

It worked for Mass Effect, because that one was *just* shooting (and dumbed down).

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And to the point: Meele.
I thought of that but I intentionally left it out.

It's a pitfall not of hybrids but of the "every playstyle should be viable" mentality. Two solutions:
1. Design gameplay where people should simply learn that they don't bring a knife to a gunfight.
2. Design gameplay where melee is viable vs guns if the melee fighter is heavily armored (magic sci-fi armor or "shield-like item" can work in the ToW setting).

My point is that there is a solution if someone wants to look for it, we are not doomed to strafe-shooting bots.

Duraframe300

Arcane
And to the point: Meele.
I thought of that but I intentionally left it out.

It's a pitfall not of hybrids but of the "every playstyle should be viable" mentality. Two solutions:
1. Design gameplay where people should simply learn that they don't bring a knife to a gunfight.
2. Design gameplay where melee is viable vs guns if the melee fighter is heavily armored (magic sci-fi armor or "shield-like item" can work in the ToW setting).

My point is that there is a solution if someone wants to look for it, we are not doomed to strafe-shooting bots.

I don't doubt theres a better solution, but in this case both would go against Tim and Leonards mindset. So, they may not go for those anyway.
(And I don't mean the *balance everything to shit* varation of that mentality Sawyer has)

Plaguecrafter

Novice
For the gameplay I expected a bit... more? This feels like New Vegas in a Bioshock setting which in itself is not bad, quite the contrary, but it feels like a game that should've been released a few years ago.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I don't doubt theres a better solution, but in this case both would go against Tim and Leonards mindset. So, they may not go for those anyway.
(And I don't mean the *balance everything to shit* varation of that mentality Sawyer has)
What do you mean by their mindset?

Duraframe300

Arcane
What do you mean by their mindset?

What they did and how they talked about game design, they'd rather avoid things that constrict the player too much in their choices if possible. (Having to engage an enemy in a certain way in this case). YMMV.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom