Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

sullynathan

Arcane
Bayonetta is gud mang. Of Most "spectacle fights" it's both highly friendly to new comers and people who like the depth these games provide. DMC is better though.

Meh, they're pretty different games in terms of how they feel.

In Bayonetta you'll struggle, in DMC you'll struggle to die even once in a single campaign. Despite resembling each other so heavily I find they are barely comparable.

Right after beating the God Hand campaign I was looking for more and tried DMC4, game was so easy I couldn't stand it. First boss was some giant flaming demon thing and I could beat it without taking any damage. Moved to Bayonetta and that game pushed my shit in on the reg. Exactly what I was looking for.

I like DMC5 a lot more than 4 but still, it's nowhere near being a platinum game.

I guess if you started DMC with 4 and only played it once on normal.

Platinum has made enough games that aren't good to say DMC5 is nowhere near being a platinum game. It's far better than almost all their games.

Suicidal

Arcane
Bayonetta is gud mang. Of Most "spectacle fights" it's both highly friendly to new comers and people who like the depth these games provide. DMC is better though.

Meh, they're pretty different games in terms of how they feel.

In Bayonetta you'll struggle, in DMC you'll struggle to die even once in a single campaign. Despite resembling each other so heavily I find they are barely comparable.

Right after beating the God Hand campaign I was looking for more and tried DMC4, game was so easy I couldn't stand it. First boss was some giant flaming demon thing and I could beat it without taking any damage. Moved to Bayonetta and that game pushed my shit in on the reg. Exactly what I was looking for.

I like DMC5 a lot more than 4 but still, it's nowhere near being a platinum game.

Que? In Bayonetta I barely died in the entire game except for a few late game bosses and those stupid platforming QTEs. Then I replayed on infinite climax or whatever the mode is called (the one that removes your time slowing effect) and I died even less because I was already familiar in the game (first tried all the bosses except Jeanne).

DMC games on their hardest difficulty setting (Dante Must Die) are MUCH harder than Bayonetta could ever hope to be. I never completed DMC 3 on DMD because it was too hard for me at the time (gonna replay it eventually). I just finished DMC 5 on the hard mode (the one before DMD) and I spent 3 hours fighting the last boss.

Maybe Bayonetta on normal is harder than DMC games are on normal (I recently replayed DMC 4 on normal without dying once, for example) but they're both piss easy anyway so it's not worth comparing.

v1rus

Arcane
EDIT: I didn't react to you v1rus with the Ichimanji comment, it was a coincidence. I always thought this move isn't good - for the reasons I gave, it's slow and not that much more effective - and yesterday I watched Vaati, he said the same.

Well thats what I thought too, before I got in shape. Turns out, its bonkers, especially on Genichiro/Sword Saint, and all other posture focused fights. It doesnt cost any se (which is a problem i have with shadowroflstomp), it does decent hp dmg and great posture dmg, staggers/interrupts the enemy (making double ichimonji even sillier, since if you hit the first one, you are gonna hit the second one), you can channel it for bonus dmg if you have the opening, and, to make it even more lolworthy, hitting double ichimonji literally empties your whole posture bar.

Pick up the skill and give it a try, regular and double one cost like 5 sp. It might take a few tries to get a grasp on how to use it, but trust me, its bonkers when you figure it out. I wouldnt be surprised it gets patched sooner or later.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I did try it. My experience was this - the non-charged single version does about the same HP damage and better posture damage than a R1 slash. But it's almost always better to fit two R1s into any window than one Ichimonji clap. As for the double clap, bosses were always able to deflect the second one.

The charged version is too slow and impractical in most situations where it matters.

The R1 is just too stronk man.

v1rus

Arcane
I did try it. My experience was this - the non-charged single version does about the same HP damage and better posture damage than a R1 slash. But it's almost always better to fit two R1s into any window than one Ichimonji clap. As for the double clap, bosses were always able to deflect the second one.

Really? :O Neither Genichiro nor Sword Saint did to me.

Oh well, thats good news then - means that certain combat arts fit certain playstyles, and that there is prolly no TEH_OEN you should go for. You musnt ignore the "sit down bitch" aspect of Ichimonji tho - feels better than mikiri to me.

I added some attack power with trainer, point by point, testing my damage each time. Ended up adding +3 total. The damage output increase seems very minuscule, but at least I managed to take down Genichiro and Seven Spears after doing it, though not without dying multiple times anyway. Tried first Headless a couple times, no luck. Doesn't seem like I broke the game doing this, it's still hard as fuck, so no regrets. Especially when I know it's only going to get harder. Hopefully this will save me a little sanity. And maybe I can finish this proper way on second run sometime.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Doesn't seem like I broke the game doing this, it's still hard as fuck

I tried adding x2 posture multiplier for the NG+ Owl Father fight and it was too easy. Posture damage rulez in this game. You just spam R1 and break his guard in no time.

Then I left posture the same and added x2 HP damage. Then the fight was fantastic. Exactly in my difficulty sweet spot. It didn't really feel like an extra boon but rather like removing artificial bloat.

I tried adding x2 posture multiplier for the NG+ Owl Father fight and it was too easy. Posture damage rulez in this game. You just spam R1 and break his guard in no time.

Then I left posture the same and added x2 HP damage. Then the fight was fantastic. Exactly in my difficulty sweet spot.

Attack Power is supposed to add both HP and Posture damage, but effect from +3 (up to 6 from 3) is barely noticeable. Enough to get me through these couple of fights but I've no doubt I will be dying over and over again soon. Still, afraid to mess with stats further, this is the first time I've used trainer to do this type of stuff. Don't want to make it a habit.
How much attack power did you have after playthrough? And was it actually a significant increase?

Sentinel

Arcane
The moves that indicate they serve as counters are incredible, particularly High Monk which deals massive posture damage if you use it to counter sweep attacks and you can string it after for more. Shadowrush is also really good. Whirlwind slash is actually really good if you have some experience against some bosses because its startup animation lets you evade a lot of hits (I evaded some 3 hits from the snake eyes woman using it).
final boss spoilers ahead

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Also I've cheesed Isshin and Corrupted Monk the last time (x2 damage).

2 times? how? Or do you mean cheats?

Of course cheats. I gave myself 2x damage so that I can finish them off faster.

In hindsight there was no need for the Corrupted Monk but I did not know about the cheese way.

also is it worth it to get the dragon mask, how much skill do I have to invest for attackpower?

5 skill points for 1 attack.

Wolfe

Arbiter
Owl was the worst boss so far, imo. Really drawn out fight, boring, repetitive. He's not even deadly but it takes ages to chip at his posture bar even with a perfect deflect game. Meh..

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Welp, I haven't "died twice" yet. If I can't beat the dude, after resurrect I hightail it back to the idol and rest and try again.

Right now I have 3 paths/bosses open to me. On one side I have the drunkard, on the other the horsey man, and one path I haven't explored yet...some note on a shack about losing heads or something.

I've killed all the 2 dot mini-bosses along the way. Also killed the purple monk at the 3 tiered pagoda and got the prize.

I bought the phantom kunia for 3,000 but can't upgrade yet. Kinda bummed me out, I assumed it would be automatic.

Killed a bunch of treasure carp, I think I have 6 or 7 scales now. Not sure what to buy or maybe save up some more.

As far as "dying twice", do I have to do that at least once or twice (or more) to make the story progress? Is it really nesc?

Zep--

mwnn85

Savant
Mixed feelings about Sekiro - played it up to the Hirata Estate so far.

It seems like they've taken elements (grapple, takedowns, etc) from Arkham City and mashed it together somewhat clumsily with Dark Souls.
Not sure it really works - the AI enemies are still as thick as shit and don't hunt you down effectively.
They don't have any awareness or understanding of the open environment they're in.
It's a bit immersion breaking to pick them off one at a time - grapple away - watch them reset - pick them off, etc.
They weren't any smarter in Dark Souls but the maps channel you through them.
But at the same I like sneaking through the long grass and jumping across the rooftops.

Less is more is usually true but an awful lot of stuff I liked from Dark Souls has been chopped out - armour? spells? different weapon movesets?
The prosthetic arm whip is just Batman's grapple, the axe is basically the "kick move" you used against shield bearers.
I do like the fact you can't just hide behind a 100% block shield any more and I can't fault the atmosphere.

Though I'd try out Demon's Souls with RPCS3 and it's semi-playable on my outdated machine.
Most people report the older 6xxx builds work perfectly.
Quite easy to set it up - just a NTSC or PAL image, PS3 system update and the emulator itself; the Linux version is just a AppImage.
Since it doesn't look like we'll ever see a remastered version - and I'm not buying a PS3 - that might be the best hope.

Last edited:

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Why wouldn't you resurrect?

If I don't have the guy down to less than half, I 1st rez and rest. If I do have him down to less than 1/2, I'll rez and fight some more. But If it looks like I'm gonna lose. I head back to the idol and rest.

I haven't pick the "die" option yet.

Zep--

Suicidal

Arcane
Welp, I haven't "died twice" yet. If I can't beat the dude, after resurrect I hightail it back to the idol and rest and try again.

I've been doing that too. I think it's the smart/intended way to play - after all, you're not a retarded samurai whose honor commands to fight till he dies. You're a sneaky ninja assassin, running away from a fight you think you cannot win is the right thing to do.

Sentinel

Arcane
mCkSlXi.png

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
On Genichiro's 2-hit -> multi-hit combo, did anyone find that the second-to-last hit in the combo is impossible to deflect? No matter how often I try it and how hard I mash block, I can perfectly deflect everything except for that second-to-last hit. Kind of annoying if you're playing without Kuro's Charm, and can be dickish if you don't realize why this combo keeps breaking your posture. Same goes when he backsteps after a deflect and jumps in the air to fire four arrows in quick succession at you, where the first three arrows can be deflected but the fourth for some reason only blocked.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom