Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Luzur

Good Sir
Hello to all fans of the Might and Magic series!
Some fans make their own mods, someone is trying to remaster the graphics for this game. I decided to create my own independent game in the style of "Might and Magic" - "Elmarion". My game is NOT a sequel to Might and Magic. There are a completely new world, a new story, new characters. But in "Elmarion" you will find a lot of familiar to you from the Might and Magic series: a team of heroes with a first-person view, master teachers, free movement between locations (on foot, on horseback, on ships), etc. I develop the game on Unity half a year already. Follow the development on the website:
http://elmarion.ru/index-en.html
or in the VKontakte group:
https://vk.com/elmariongame
or in the Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/603490373804922
Video:
Fighting: https://youtu.be/vNeS5JKJ92E
Dragon: https://youtu.be/ZBKhm0G66fg
sc1.jpg

Another one, will prob fizzle out like the rest of 'em but you never know.

Luzur

Good Sir
No, there's no text, only speech. I can understand the tavern patrons fine, though. I kinda like it with text, it loses a bit of its old-school charm without it, but I'll see how I feel about it after playing for a bit. I played with the default party in Isles of Terra, but here I'm making my own since I know what I'm doing now. And I don't think the default party of Xeen appears in the later entries, as opposed to the one from III?

No, only the MM3 party is part of the lore in the later games.

Last edited:

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Elmarion dev said:
you will need to play for a team of heroes (4 people) from the first person in real time. Step mode is not planned.

Real-time only, Disney-like color palette and "My little pony" dragon. Vazdru is not impressed.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
MM8 is already coming up on my chronological play list. Seems only a short time ago since I was playing MM6-7 and HoMM 3 and AB. 3DO sure as hell milked the M&M for everything it was worth!

Anyway, do I need anything else than GrayFace? I assume dgVoodoo for keeping correct aspect ratio?

Anything else I should know?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I thought they were forced to make an M&M game every year? I'm surprised 7 and 8 weren't total disasters.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
MM8 is already coming up on my chronological play list. Seems only a short time ago since I was playing MM6-7 and HoMM 3 and AB. 3DO sure as hell milked the M&M for everything it was worth!

Anyway, do I need anything else than GrayFace? I assume dgVoodoo for keeping correct aspect ratio?

Anything else I should know?

I played it with greyface mod and nothing else, nothing too weird to report.

The dragons are overpowered, don't use them, the game is easy enough.

T. Reich

Arcane
The dragons are overpowered, don't use them, the game is easy enough.

Dragons are just boring.
What's really OP is necromancers. Because you get early, scot-free armageddon. Because most monsters in the game has any resists whatsoever, as opposed to the earlier games.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Armageddon ? Really ? If you don't want to play the game, just don't play it because nuking everything with Armageddon outside to travel a deserted world isn't my definition of fun.

As for the resists, that's probably it.

The game is easy enough with one necromancer and dragon breath/ shrapmetal.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Turns out I didn't need dgVoodoo for MM8, since GrayPatch has widescreen support. So now it's easier to make screenshots and unlike MM7 I can play Acromage.

Graphically it is an improvement over 6 and 7, but not a drastic one.

But I'm a bit confused about the Pirate attack. If I play turn based the pirates rape the lizards, but in real time it's the lizards who are stonger. Also new Pirates seem to spawn out of thin air. Am I supposed to just ignore the fighting?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Turns out I didn't need dgVoodoo for MM8, since GrayPatch has widescreen support. So now it's easier to make screenshots and unlike MM7 I can play Acromage.

But I'm a bit confused about the Pirate attack. If I play turn based the pirates rape the lizards, but in real time it's the lizards who are stonger. Also new Pirates seem to spawn out of thin air. Am I supposed to just ignore the fighting?
i usually just run past them and never engage. you will also notice pirate captains on their ships. If you are willing to cheese you can strafe in real time while shooting with bows. No loot or pirate swarm improvenents, also exp isnt worth your time. Stopping those pirate attacks is part of main quest line
You could also kill them all,it is a lot of respaning,but they are not endless. It is a good way to make money and maybe level up. You could always come back in a few levels and with the chosen party. Also you can't shoot all the captains,but one or two at best.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
But I'm a bit confused about the Pirate attack. If I play turn based the pirates rape the lizards, but in real time it's the lizards who are stronger. Also new Pirates seem to spawn out of thin air. Am I supposed to just ignore the fighting?

Well, it's fun to kill some in the beginning and probably required before tackling the pyramid dungeon, probably the best* dungeon of the whole game but some monsters are quite tough there, specially when you run out of MP.

The UI and sound effects are slightly better as well but it's only obvious when you (re)play them in reverse order.

(*) dungeons are well design but the wast majority are extremely short.

T. Reich

Arcane

IIRC, pirates respawn indefinitely, as do the lizards.
They are just there to add a sense of urgency to your initial mission.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom