Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview The Outer Worlds Gameplay Footage at PAX East 2019

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Charles Staples; Leonard Boyarsky; Megan Starks; Mikey Dowling; Obsidian Entertainment; The Outer Worlds; Tim Cain

Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky, along with lead designer Charles Staples and senior writer Megan Starks, were at PAX East this weekend for their scheduled panel about The Outer Worlds. The panel began with the usual introductions but quickly moved on to a gameplay demonstration showcasing a new area - the elegant city of Byzantium, capital of the Halcyon colony. At first they played it straight, sending the player (joined by Felix and Nyoka, the latter now confirmed to be a companion as well) to audition for a propagandistic action movie using live ammunition. The dialogue was fairly amusing, but it suffered from the lack of voice acting, which isn't in the game yet. Maybe that's why the Obsidian guys decided to kill the movie's director and embark on a murderous rampage throughout the city instead of doing more quests. Along the way, we got to see a new Science weapon that glitches enemy's faces and had our first look at the game's (apparently still WIP) character and inventory screens.

The gameplay demonstration was about twenty minutes long in total. It was followed by a 30 minute Q&A session, which wasn't very interesting unfortunately (sorry, no Epic Games Store drama). Hopefully we won't have to wait until E3 to see more.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Graphic and style looks good to me. Dialogues are silly but funny. Combat looks as expected, not very good.

The one thing that disappoints me is how empty the town looks.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Some thoughts:

1. Very few npc's on maps
2. Cant talk to your companions
3. exp for discovering vending machines? lol
4. Very few dialogue choices, they show a quest where first dialogue has two choices, and the next npc, has 3? This shit is fallout 4 level
5. These fuckers laughing at their own ridiculous quest design and writing... this was the quest they chose to show live?

This presentation was terrible in every aspect, amateur stuff really.

Drowed

Arcane
I don't think the game looks "bad", but more like... Terribly underwhelming. The combat is aggressively uninteresting, which isn't really surprising, but the world seems too empty. But who knows, maybe it's just a terrible first impression. To be honest, at the time of the New Vegas release I wasn't very optimistic either, but I was surprised.

PrettyDeadman

Town looks gritty and dark just like Santa Monica in Bloodlines shame that Obshitian is filled with SJWs and cucks and won't able to fill it with interesting NPCs and quests.
This didn't prevent Troika from making interesting quets and npcs in VTM:Bloodlines.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Town looks gritty and dark just like Santa Monica in Bloodlines shame that Obshitian is filled with SJWs and cucks and won't able to fill it with interesting NPCs and quests.
This didn't prevent Troika from making interesting quets and npcs in VTM:Bloodlines.

VTM:Bloodlines were not made in current year Comrade, aside from this the game looks mech, comobat is atrocius and NPC has very few dialogue lines; given it will be released as Epic Exclusive I lost all interest in this. At least they did not burn all the bridges like Developers of Phoenix Point did good luck kistarting another title after such fraud or running studio for a few years on 2 millions shekels they got they are not studio from Moldova.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
The character models look like utter shit, barely above Mass Effect: Androgynous. The models in VTMB looks better and it's 15 years old.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
aWYoRjd_460swp.webp

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Went ahead and skimmed through the video, did not look at any previous gameplay snippets. Lol wtf. I'm no longer surprised they went for guaranteed epicbux. At least the publishers seem to know what they're doing and this whole ordeal starts to have the surprise benefit of red flagging potential dumpster dunks.

Shadenuat

Arcane
masters of hype - of making hype, and of killing all hype
only good thing about game for now are ad posters.

Devilkingx

Barely Literate
I think the Outer Worlds as it currently stands looks like Oblivion in space gameplay-wise (but with VATs and laser weapons from fallout and a bioshock aesthetic), with all the good and bad that comes with it.

Amazing quests, sandboxy freedom in an RPG, etc. I can't praise any RPG whose quests can stand with Oblivion enough tbh.

However in some ways it's actually worse than oblivion. Trying to kill everyone in town in that game had way more resistance: the guards were tougher, there were more of them, even some of the NPCs would be tough fights, etc. Over here it looks like everyone lays down and dies with little to no resistance honestly, it's pretty sad and would be very boring to play

Now it definitely has better graphics than oblivion and I guess generic sci fi is more unique than generic fantasy? Plus there's no essential NPCs to get in the way of your massacre so there's definitely more freedom here (morrowind tier perhaps)

Overall I'd say that this is a very good competitor to 2006's The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and I look forward to paying $20 for a solid RPG experience

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Combat looked like a janky console version of Oblivion/F3/F:NV. People liked New Vegas despite it being on Bethesda's engine, not because of it. The whole thing left a sour taste in my mouth.

UnknownBro

Savant
I wish that this game sells well. And that these two make a fortune. And re-open Troika. And make ToEE II, or the real Fallout 3.

One only can dream...

And also wish that Brian Fargo get raped by a bear. Dead, no. But raped, yes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom