Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Nathir

Liturgist
Made it to the last boss on NG+ after getting the Shura ending on normal. So Genichiro just pulls young Isshin out of his ass? How does this even work, and why? Is Isshin in on it or not? Got Genichiro down on first try (he only seems to have gotten 1 new move) and the a 3 dot health bar appears. Oh well. I'm sure I will finish it someday, but not quite in the mood right now.

Sentinel

Arcane
Made it to the last boss on NG+ after getting the Shura ending on normal. So Genichiro just pulls young Isshin out of his ass? How does this even work, and why? Is Isshin in on it or not? Got Genichiro down on first try (he only seems to have gotten 1 new move) and the a 3 dot health bar appears. Oh well. I'm sure I will finish it someday, but not quite in the mood right now.
Genichiro has the other Mortal Blade. Its description mentions something about being able to open portals to another dimension. On his last breath Genichiro uses the blade to bring his grandather Isshin (a legendary warrior who had died just before from old age) from the underworld back to the living as a last resort. He is brought back in his peak, when he loved fighting. He doesn't care for Genichiro's dishonorable display or heretical practices, so he just has a 1v1 duel with you.

Cromwell

Arcane
So I have to fight an ape, so I kill him, but he gets up again, and then I should kill him again later when he has two healthbars again and a helper? fuck this shit that takes ages.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
On skills I found whirlwind to be a good punish to bosses over R1, due to extended reach. 2 hits, the second is often blocked but they can't punish it if the first connects. A good all rounder, if in doubt you can keep this all game.

Stinger, I mean shadowrush, is great but the spirit emblem cost is harsh. They should have let refill spirit emblems on bonfires.

I like ichimonji on paper, I couldn't make it work yet. Gonna test it more.

I was excited about he shoryuken kick antiair, but didn't work for me on Genishiro's jumps. Very disappointing. Anybody nows if it works on jumping bosses? I don't want instant deathblows, but at least it should let you counter air attacks, with the drawback of letting you open for punish on whiff.

Any other recommended active skill? Praying strikes maybe? I feel disappointed overall, a patch could improve them easily.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
So I have to fight an ape, so I kill him, but he gets up again, and then I should kill him again later when he has two healthbars again and a helper? fuck this shit that takes ages.
The game has 4 incarnations of Juzou the drunkard (two are actual Juzou, while two others are slight variations of him). Let that sink in. You've only started to uncover how much of a cheap whore From Software has become.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane

The two monkeys battle is ridiculously easy compared to the original. Both of them have lower HP points and you only need to defeat the white one in order to win, ignoring the green one completely. I passed that battle on my first try, using the last kill you get in the Ashina skill-tree.

Cromwell

Arcane
The two monkeys battle is ridiculously easy compared to the original. Both of them have lower HP points and you only need to defeat the white one in order to win, ignoring the green one completely. I passed that battle on my first try, using the last kill you get in the Ashina skill-tree.

yeah but I am still at the first one in the second phase. First time I got him there I used all my resources forgetting that from sucks cock and everyone has a gazillion phases regardless of whats stated by the ui. It even said shinobi execution after I managed the first phase. I adjusted my tactic and instead of runnign around and only hitting him every so often to be more agressive adnd blocking more so I get the phase actually done before the heat death of the universe, now I am trying to learn the second phase.

I truly fucking hate that new style of how encounters work it absolutely kills my motivation knowing that I have to do phases again and again. Technically it was the same in other games were I just died again and again at 30% when they got a new skill but it still didnt feel as frustrating as the deathblow thing.

Sentinel

Arcane

yeah but I am still at the first one in the second phase. First time I got him there I used all my resources forgetting that from sucks cock and everyone has a gazillion phases regardless of whats stated by the ui. It even said shinobi execution after I managed the first phase. I adjusted my tactic and instead of runnign around and only hitting him every so often to be more agressive adnd blocking more so I get the phase actually done before the heat death of the universe, now I am trying to learn the second phase.

I truly fucking hate that new style of how encounters work it absolutely kills my motivation knowing that I have to do phases again and again. Technically it was the same in other games were I just died again and again at 30% when they got a new skill but it still didnt feel as frustrating as the deathblow thing.
Usually when you come up against a boss like that it's the game telling you to experiment. In this case, the spear's special move on the neck in the 2nd phase will expose the centipede for massive posture damage.

Silva

Arcane
What's the chance of the game being improved/fixed by updates? I mean, some bosses apparently go too high on the bullshitometer scale to the point of becoming objectively unpleasant?

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
The game has 4 incarnations of Juzou the drunkard (two are actual Juzou, while two others are slight variations of him). Let that sink in. You've only started to uncover how much of a cheap whore From Software has become.

Now, instead of reusing bosses in sequels, they reuse bosses in the same game!

Sentinel

Arcane

Now, instead of reusing bosses in sequels, they reuse bosses in the same game!
Now? I think people are forgetting a lot of stuff about Dark Souls 1 and 2...

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
really have no idea how people are upset about the fight with 2 apes.. the one you should already be familiar with. the brown one that comes in literally takes 3 hits to die, it's stupid.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Genichiro has the other Mortal Blade. Its description mentions something about being able to open portals to another dimension. On his last breath Genichiro uses the blade to bring his grandather Isshin (a legendary warrior who had died just before from old age) from the underworld back to the living as a last resort. He is brought back in his peak, when he loved fighting. He doesn't care for Genichiro's dishonorable display or heretical practices, so he just has a 1v1 duel with you.
When you kill Hanbei the Undying for good, a centipede crawls out of his neck.
When you kill real Corrupted Monk, a centipede crawls out of her mouth.
When you kill Guardian Ape, a centipede crawls out of its neck.
When you kill Genichiro, Isshin crawls out of his neck.

Isshin is a centipede!
Case closed.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What's the chance of the game being improved/fixed by updates? I mean, some bosses apparently go too high on the bullshitometer scale to the point of becoming objectively unpleasant?

Nah it's good now. I'd call 2 bosses in the game bad, 1 that's like the priest swarm from DS3 and another that's a gimmick-y weak point situation, and the problem with them is they're pushovers but framed like they're huge events.

Don't know what all the bloated HP bar stuff is about really, doubt any one boss took more than five minutes on a successful attempt, are people playing extremely passive and not breaking posture? There are a couple of bosses where I get kills from Vitality, and even those don't feel too long. Never needed enough runs at an enemy to get bored, felt like every attempt showed something new and was progress.

On Genichiro's 2-hit -> multi-hit combo, did anyone find that the second-to-last hit in the combo is impossible to deflect? No matter how often I try it and how hard I mash block, I can perfectly deflect everything except for that second-to-last hit. Kind of annoying if you're playing without Kuro's Charm, and can be dickish if you don't realize why this combo keeps breaking your posture. Same goes when he backsteps after a deflect and jumps in the air to fire four arrows in quick succession at you, where the first three arrows can be deflected but the fourth for some reason only blocked.

can't say for sure, but I did resort to stepping away from that combo and then just stepping in and punishing the moment he finished instead of going for a full deflect string as I did always seem to miss one or two. The arrows did tend to hit a block rather than deflect but their damage was insignificant. I wonder if charmless was ever the planned default mode (at least the "blocks still do partial HP damage" part of it), had some incredible tense fights in this run.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Being aggressive, constantly doing posture damage while the boss is at 100% HP, from my experience, it just doesn't work in defeating it. I usually drop their HP to 50%, then work on posture since the damage now actually stacks and doesn't recover it fast enough. The best case scenario, at least for me, is dropping them to 25% and then taking my time working on the posture but at that point I know that any damage I do to their posture remains and it's only a matter of time. Of course there are also bosses that counter this tactic, that have a weapon and just attack you and beg you to be deflected, like Lady Butterfly, Isshin, Genichiro, Headless Ape and others. With those it's easier because you do some posture damage and you also find openings where you can chip away at their HP. If worse comes to worst just spam all the Gouging Top shurikens, the charged one to do like 20-25% HP damage. And use the ceremonial tanto to get more emblems. Hm now that I think about it.......

Last edited:

RapineDel

Augur
Being aggressive, constantly doing posture damage while the boss is at 100% HP, from my experience, it just doesn't work in defeating it. I usually drop their HP to 50%, then work on posture since the damage now actually stacks and doesn't recover it fast enough. The best case scenario, at least for me, is dropping them to 25% and then taking my time working on the posture but at that point I know that any damage I do to their posture remains and it's only a matter of time. Of course there are also bosses that counter this tactic, that have a weapon and just attack you and beg you to be deflected, like Lady Butterfly, Isshin, Genichiro, Headless Ape and others. With those it's easier because you do so e posture damage and you also find openings where you can chip away at their HP. If worse comes to worst just spam the Gouging Top shuriken, the charged one to do like 20-25% HP damage. And use the ceremonial tanto to get more emblems. Hm now that I think about it.......

This is pretty much the gist of it. Owl (Father) at Hirata Estate is pretty much this as it's a slow, long fight where you need to deal damage and at around 50% you'll start to reap the rewards and get enough posture damage, one of the longest fights in the game at least for me but also one of the best.

One thing I would like for a "hard mode" would be one where prosthetics are disabled but boss rewards are better for skill XP, something like that. All bosses are beatable without them and force you to really learn the bosses moves/when to strike and it makes fights like the 2 Apes far more challenging.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Being aggressive, constantly doing posture damage while the boss is at 100% HP, from my experience, it just doesn't work in defeating it. I usually drop their HP to 50%, then work on posture since the damage now actually stacks and doesn't recover it fast enough. The best case scenario, at least for me, is dropping them to 25% and then taking my time working on the posture but at that point I know that any damage I do to their posture remains and it's only a matter of time. Of course there are also bosses that counter this tactic, that have a weapon and just attack you and beg you to be deflected, like Lady Butterfly, Isshin, Genichiro, Headless Ape and others. With those it's easier because you do so e posture damage and you also find openings where you can chip away at their HP. If worse comes to worst just spam the Gouging Top shuriken, the charged one to do like 20-25% HP damage. And use the ceremonial tanto to get more emblems. Hm now that I think about it.......

This is pretty much the gist of it. Owl (Father) at Hirata Estate is pretty much this as it's a slow, long fight where you need to deal damage and at around 50% you'll start to reap the rewards and get enough posture damage, one of the longest fights in the game at least for me but also one of the best.

One thing I would like for a "hard mode" would be one where prosthetics are disabled but boss rewards are better for skill XP, something like that. All bosses are beatable without them and force you to really learn the bosses moves/when to strike and it makes fights like the 2 Apes far more challenging.
Well I didn't use prosthetics too much anyway, except for the firecrackers so....yes, you absolutely need to learn the fights, no way around it, prosthetics or no, more than previous Soulsborne games.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
How restrictive and streamlined is world traverse in the game? Can you use the hook to move around freely anywhere you want or its application is limited only to specific places designed for that (like it clinging only to special points on constructs)? And how is the combat like that of Dark Souls? Are there ways of tackling enemies apart from using close combat weapons exclusively, for example by using special damaging devices, thrown/ranged weapons, various consumables, magic etc?

How restrictive and streamlined is world traverse in the game? Can you use the hook to move around freely anywhere you want or its application is limited only to specific places designed for that (like it clinging only to special points on constructs)?
Definitely the latter, but it's really well done, with plenty of options and some clever design trick on how to place them to make things interesting.

And how is the combat like that of Dark Souls? Are there ways of tackling enemies apart from using close combat weapons exclusively, for example by using special damaging devices, thrown/ranged weapons, various consumables, magic etc?
Fairly different, but still top quality. You have a series of "prosthetic gadgets" that are designed to exploit the weaknesses of some enemies or bosses, even if the tricky part is often to realize which is the right gadget and when it's the best moment to use it.
Your other main weapon is stealth. Most of the common enemies (and even some minibosses) can be dispatched or made easier rather easily by picking them one by one with stealth kills.

Generally speaking I like Sekiro a LOT. Far more than I expected to. I was rather lukewarm toward it, but in fact it's on its way to become my favorite From Software game of all time. Which is something, given that I loved most of their previous titles too and I started that infamous petition to bring it on PC few years back.

I think Sekiro has the best combat, level design and environmental navigation in their games.
That said, I DO think that it goes a bit too far on the difficulty curve. I always thought that DS reputation of being "super hard" was exceedingly inflated, that with the right understand of the mechanic and a suitable build basically anyone could finish it, no matter how slow in reflexes, if even just powerleveling through it with a Havel and a strong weapon. Or downright trivializing it with magic.

Sekiro on the other hand is very unforgiving on mistakes, demanding on your reflexes and even the battles you already mastered to a decent level leave little to no room for error.
Which is why I could never suggest it in good conscience to some people I know (my brother, for instance). They would simply never adapt to it.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
How restrictive and streamlined is world traverse in the game? Can you use the hook to move around freely anywhere you want or its application is limited only to specific places designed for that (like it clinging only to special points on constructs)? And how is the combat like that of Dark Souls? Are there ways of tackling enemies apart from using close combat weapons exclusively, for example by using special damaging devices, thrown/ranged weapons, various consumables, magic etc?
The hook only works on specific points but they are thrown almost everywhere so you'll be flying like a monkey for the whole duration of the game. The world gives you a fair amount of ways to tackle areas and you can explore multiple paths from the beginning of the game. It also works on a few specific boss type enemies and can be used when they're in an indecisive, unmoving state, allowing you to close the gap and stunning them slightly for free hits.
Mind you, exploration isn't this game forte, unless you're particularly dumb nothing aside from mini-bosses or bosses will kill you since you can always deaggro in an instant by flying around with the hook. You don't even die from falls into the void if you're at full hp. Tension is non existent in the game outside of boss fights. Idols (bonfire) are dime dozen.

The combat is parry focused but still has a souls like feel to it because of how the input queue works with that engine. They removed stamina management but then it's not like there wasn't a souls that almost removed it (is there anyone who worried about stamina in Dark Souls 3? so much regen, so little cost of dodge rolls) You can do a few action cancel like on your first r1 but overall you can feel the lineage compared to other action games. Your main weapon is just like any souls katana and will feel a bit frustrating at times for how little range it has because enemies move around so much and the thrust doesn't always work great for that (there's also a boss who actually fucking counters that so heavily you can't use it at all).
You can unlock skills for use with your katana, and they feel like Dark Souls 3 weapon arts. They're highly situational and most are a bit useless, they all (well, the ones I tried) have long windups making them a tough sell in chaotic situation like multiple enemies or when you don't know a boss moveset and need to be able to react to attacks. They can be useful against enemies/bosses you already know well but you won't be using that stuff for much of your first experience with the game.

As for tools/ranged weapon etc, they're all classified under "shinobi prosthetic tools" and they're like Bloodborne's magic and guns : they all use the same resource, Spirit Emblems, which act like BB's bullets (there's even an item early game gained from a boss that allows you to trade health for emblems, just like BB's blood bullets). You can flame enemies, use a spinning shield, throw shurikens, have a thrusting or cleaving spear, use an axe, teleport when attacked, turn around enemies, distract them with sound and set them on fire, stun enemies with firecrackers and a few other uses for these, like situational axe for breaking shield.
They're consistently useful throughout the game although their usefulness can be an either overpowered or useless type of situation. Firecrackers can stunlock a few specific enemies continuously, which I believe isn't intended since beasts, which are supposed to be the weakest against those things, won't be stunlocked and have a timer for between uses (need to wait like 15 seconds before you can use for stun again).
You also have skills that extend the ability to use those tools further, like having quick close the gap move slash attack after throwing a shuriken. Personally I found that to be mostly useless because it leaves you open for retaliation on boss fights and often didn't close enough gap to begin with.

It may be a departure from souls games but at the core the lineage really shows, and much of those prosthetics work like some weapons you may have had before. Heck, flaming enemies is like using black flame but now giving a burn effect, and the upgraded version is like a firesurge.

It's very very soulsy but with the spastic meter cranked to 11 and enemy tracking to 12, so now you have to constantly do perfect parries, perfect evasion etc and there's very little room for mistakes.
The camera is also very much souls lineage and is not suited for that type of game. I don't even use lock on much in souls games but here considering how much enemies move around you really need it.. except that it often breaks and stops working. Oh, the boss moved around a tiny micro pillar, you almost broke line of sight now you lose lock on and he's rushing toward you, good luck. And let's not even talk about what happens with the camera in these games when your character is backed to a wall..

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom