Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Jokzore

Arbiter
It seems the 3 lords of cinder had contact with darkness in some way or another in their times

Don't forget Lothric and Kaathe.

Perkel

Arcane
The Profaned Flame is probably some fragment/remains of the Old Chaos from DS2 (which by itself is the remains of the Chaos Flame from DS1) and thus maintain the same life-deforming, mind-corrupting properties. The clue of this is somewhere that says "the flame engulfed the Profaned capital, but only consumed the human beings". Remember what other flame consumes humanity (dark souls) in DS1 ? Yeah, exactly.

I mean this is not really any unknown.
There is a reason why you have whole izalith optional area.
Profaned flame is chaos flame.

Also both of the bosses were pathetic, beat Iudex on my first try and that Boreal dude on my 2nd (because I ran in at 50%hp with no estus). And then there’s that “Pus of Man” on a rooftop that steamrolls me every time, attacks relentlessly, and is unreadable because it blocks literally the whole screen. Also got my ass wiped so far by that blue knight with glowing red eyes, but maybe it’s supposed to be a Black Knight-sort of encounter.

I reserve all the hate and vitriol for later but please tell me it’ll get even.

Well DS3 has by far toughest bosses in series and imho the best. Vordt is easy while gundyr depends on class choice. My first choice as alwways was naked so i died like 3-4 times before i figured it out.

Enjoy mate. There will be plently of bosses that will give you good kick in butt.

Silva

Arcane
It seems the 3 lords of cinder had contact with darkness in some way or another in their times

What do you mean? That Lothric had contact with darkness, or that he and Kaathe conspired somehow?

I think those "angel serpent" statues in Lothric castle are Kingseeker Frampt myself, who probably started the whole angelical faith in first place to nudge people into linking the fire (just like he did with the first chosen one in DS1).

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
So I got to Dark Souls 3 with my new gaming laptop, since my previous potato with GTX 260 couldn’t handle such technology as 64 bit (Dark Souls 2 ran fine).

I so far much prefer the art direction and design to DS2, in fact I was so bored with it that I abandoned that around Drangleic Castle or that famous lava castle above the windmill. However this game is so damn strange, it’s the third time i see 2 bonfires next to each other. Also both of the bosses were pathetic, beat Iudex on my first try and that Boreal dude on my 2nd (because I ran in at 50%hp with no estus). And then there’s that “Pus of Man” on a rooftop that steamrolls me every time, attacks relentlessly, and is unreadable because it blocks literally the whole screen. Also got my ass wiped so far by that blue knight with glowing red eyes, but maybe it’s supposed to be a Black Knight-sort of encounter.

I reserve all the hate and vitriol for later but please tell me it’ll get even.
The close bonfires only exist to give you fast travel points with the appropriate names. At first I thought it was weird too, but it makes sense and in no way negatively affects the flow or difficulty of the game.

Iudex and Vordt are easy. Pontiff Sulyvahn, the Dancer, Aldrich, Lorian and Lothric, Soul of Cinder, Nameless King, Friede, Demon Prince, Midir, and Gale are all excellent bosses. As good or better than anything else in the series.

praetor

Arcane
Iudex and Vordt are easy. Pontiff Sulyvahn, the Dancer, Aldrich, Lorian and Lothric, Soul of Cinder, Nameless King, Friede, Demon Prince, Midir, and Gale are all excellent bosses. As good or better than anything else in the series.

i really cannot comprehend what people find good, interesting or even difficult about the twin princes (other than the cheap, sappy, cliched, anime-level "emushunal engagement"). similarly Aldrich is challenging because he's "different" for all the wrong reasons. he belongs in a bullet hell game (yes, hyperbole). SoC and Demon Prince are just average or slightly above, and Midir is a slog because of his huge health pool (and pointlessly long and uneventful run to him). i agree with the others, easily in the "best of" the whole series

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
i really cannot comprehend what people find good, interesting or even difficult about the twin princes (other than the cheap, sappy, cliched, anime-level "emushunal engagement"). similarly Aldrich is challenging because he's "different" for all the wrong reasons. he belongs in a bullet hell game (yes, hyperbole). SoC and Demon Prince are just average or slightly above, and Midir is a slog because of his huge health pool (and pointlessly long and uneventful run to him). i agree with the others, easily in the "best of" the whole series
For starters, every boss should be soloed.
First time playing Twin Princes was great. Big attacks, constantly teleporting around the room, having to kill him repeatedly because of resurrection, dodging those light bullets... it's a good fight.
Aldrich is also fantastic for much the same reason. Avoiding his instakill arrows makes the fight frenetic. Dark Souls definitely has a big skill-based component to gameplay, so I consider this a rewarding positive. Consider summoning your difficulty slider.
Midir is a slog (unless you cheat with pestilent mist), but not a boring one. He changes up his attack timing based on your own roll patterns, so you actually have to be reactive the whole time opposed to getting stuck in a rhythym. If you're going to have a big health pool boss, this is the best way to do it. Not sure what you mean by the long run to him. You realize there's a shortcut, right? Takes about a minute and a half at the absolute maximum.

Jokzore

Arbiter

What do you mean? That Lothric had contact with darkness, or that he and Kaathe conspired somehow?

I think those "angel serpent" statues in Lothric castle are Kingseeker Frampt myself, who probably started the whole angelical faith in first place to nudge people into linking the fire (just like he did with the first chosen one in DS1).

I think it's Kaathe, and he's the reason Lothric refuses to link the fire. Notice that the Angel people are in a civil war with the rest of Lothric, which is loyal and protecting the Twins.

So yes, darkness.

praetor

Arcane
For starters, every boss should be soloed.
First time playing Twin Princes was great. Big attacks, constantly teleporting around the room, having to kill him repeatedly because of resurrection, dodging those light bullets... it's a good fight.
Aldrich is also fantastic for much the same reason. Avoiding his instakill arrows makes the fight frenetic. Dark Souls definitely has a big skill-based component to gameplay, so I consider this a rewarding positive. Consider summoning your difficulty slider.
Midir is a slog (unless you cheat with pestilent mist), but not a boring one. He changes up his attack timing based on your own roll patterns, so you actually have to be reactive the whole time opposed to getting stuck in a rhythym. If you're going to have a big health pool boss, this is the best way to do it. Not sure what you mean by the long run to him. You realize there's a shortcut, right? Takes about a minute and a half at the absolute maximum.

for starters, thank you captain obvious :roll: of course i was talking about soloing and not playing with summons. that's a given, but i guess 2019 noobs are :decline: and need everything explained in detail

and nothing you described about the twin princes is interesting. the teleporting is mildly amusing but it becomes very predictable after like the 2nd time. his attacks are very predictable and he has a very limited moveset. and dodging those bullets is trivial if you have opposing thumbs and at least one functioning neuron. it's one of the bosses where i co-oped the most. for some reason people love summoning there. i guess most people think that fight is so boring they'd rather be done with it quicker as it's the one where i had the most success, by far (anecdotally. i did not keep any real statistic). in my experience, people very very rarely die there (pretty much exclusively to his ranged overhead attack after a teleport)

aldrich is boring because those arrows are the only actually threatening attack he has, and the way to avoid them is to run away. and again he has a very limited moveset with animations telegraphed by pigeons. fantastic it is not

midir most definitely doesn't change anything based on your roll patterns. don't know where you pulled out this bullshit from as it's 100% untrue. it's actually an easy boss because he is again very predictable, and being big and kinda slow his tells are again delivered to you by snail mail about a month in advance. the only "problem" is until you figure out how to reliably avoid his instakill mid-fight gojira lazer beam attack, after that (and figuring that he takes like double the damage to his head vs legs), he becomes a boring, repetitive, overlong slog (which gets what... 1 new overlong and trivially avoidable attack in phase 2?).

and what the fuck are you talking about shortcuts? there's exactly 1 way to get to him, and it's a boring uneventful "run" of nearly 2 minutes of nothingness and elevators and a long fall. that's unnecessarily shit (particularly when compared to nearly every single other difficult boss in the whole goddamned series that either has a very short run to it, or it's a longer stretch with some enemies to fight [i.e. something to do/pay attention to])

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
for starters, thank you captain obvious :roll: of course i was talking about soloing and not playing with summons. that's a given, but i guess 2019 noobs are :decline: and need everything explained in detail

and nothing you described about the twin princes is interesting. the teleporting is mildly amusing but it becomes very predictable after like the 2nd time. his attacks are very predictable and he has a very limited moveset. and dodging those bullets is trivial if you have opposing thumbs and at least one functioning neuron. it's one of the bosses where i co-oped the most. for some reason people love summoning there. i guess most people think that fight is so boring they'd rather be done with it quicker as it's the one where i had the most success, by far (anecdotally. i did not keep any real statistic). in my experience, people very very rarely die there (pretty much exclusively to his ranged overhead attack after a teleport)

aldrich is boring because those arrows are the only actually threatening attack he has, and the way to avoid them is to run away. and again he has a very limited moveset with animations telegraphed by pigeons. fantastic it is not

midir most definitely doesn't change anything based on your roll patterns. don't know where you pulled out this bullshit from as it's 100% untrue. it's actually an easy boss because he is again very predictable, and being big and kinda slow his tells are again delivered to you by snail mail about a month in advance. the only "problem" is until you figure out how to reliably avoid his instakill mid-fight gojira lazer beam attack, after that (and figuring that he takes like double the damage to his head vs legs), he becomes a boring, repetitive, overlong slog (which gets what... 1 new overlong and trivially avoidable attack in phase 2?).

and what the fuck are you talking about shortcuts? there's exactly 1 way to get to him, and it's a boring uneventful "run" of nearly 2 minutes of nothingness and elevators and a long fall. that's unnecessarily shit (particularly when compared to nearly every single other difficult boss in the whole goddamned series that either has a very short run to it, or it's a longer stretch with some enemies to fight [i.e. something to do/pay attention to])
meh, and if you fuck up on the twin princes when he's doing the big fire sword attack or the massive light beam, then you're doomed. If he were a DS1 boss, you'd say he was fantastic. Assume the same kind of responses to your other criticisms. The only reason you don't like these bosses is because you had already mastered DS combat five years before DS3 came out. The gameplay can't really surprise you anymore; it ceased to be novel. Thus Seikiro.

I will do one more specific though: Midir absolutely changes his attack patterns based on when you roll. Built in rollcatch AI. Again, you just got really good at playing soulsborne by that point.

typical user

Arbiter
Last time I played the DLCs Midir was easier than Gael who royally fucked me over at least 30 times. Midir requires rushing and sprinting to avoid his breath attacks much the same like Storm Rider (or whatever the first phase of Nameless King was called). Gael is hard because the longer the fight the more spam he throws at you with his follow-up cape attacks, auto-crossbow, flying skulls and thunders plus his long hard hitting combos (3 or 4 attacks usually). Aldrich is easy, I believe you can slog through with a shield, when he uses his arrow attack just sprint around. Twin Princes, well it requires precise dodging just like Nameless King.

The best fights for me are with Champion Gundyr because he requires rhythm, punishes attack spam, Nameless King for delayed attacks punishing roll spam, especially rolling away, Demons in Dreg Heap because they switch patterns between each other and also the second phase based around who got killed last, Gael for many surprising attacks like his leap with crossbow volley or just jumping around and Sister Friede because she requires attack spamming to break her poise and interrupt her combos. All of them also have great atmosphere and design (moveset, location aesthetics, music, looks).

vota DC

Augur
I found Champion Gundyr really easy, I took the other route and forgot about the garden path for a lot of time before remembering I could turn left after the ladder before the castle. I didn't even learnt his pattern, he hit me some times but he did few damage and he had little hp.
Iudex Gundyr on the other hand is really difficult, you can't empower him in any way and shield doesn't work....at least that pathetic deprived shield.

praetor

Arcane
meh, and if you fuck up on the twin princes when he's doing the big fire sword attack or the massive light beam, then you're doomed. If he were a DS1 boss, you'd say he was fantastic. Assume the same kind of responses to your other criticisms. The only reason you don't like these bosses is because you had already mastered DS combat five years before DS3 came out. The gameplay can't really surprise you anymore; it ceased to be novel. Thus Seikiro.

dude... how the fuck can you be so fucking retarded? how?

"if you fuck up, the boss will kill you". no shit, sherlock... did you know that if you fuck up at Pinwheel he can kill you? did you know that if you fuck up at the Congregation they will kill you? it's true!

wow. just wow

I will do one more specific though: Midir absolutely changes his attack patterns based on when you roll. Built in rollcatch AI. Again, you just got really good at playing soulsborne by that point.

no he fucking doesn't. just because you don't have 2 opposing thumbs and a double digit amount of functioning, connected neurons, doesn't mean everybody else doesn't. he's mechanically one of the simplest bosses because all you have to do is wait for his overlong attack animations to finish while you mostly twiddle your thumbs or run around like a headless chicken, and then whack at his head. repeat until he kills you because you were bored out of your skull doing the same thing over and over for 20 minutes and you've just started phase 2 (hyperbole, just in case you're so braindead you cannot comprehend it)

all of his attacks have the exact same animation down to the millisecond whenever he performs them, whether you're in your fast rolling dexfag character rolling around like a cirque do soleil applicant, or you fat noroll strbro slumbering around like BROBERT. let me guess, you read this bullshit on that garbage site that is fextralie, the most inaccurate wiki page on the planet?

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter

dude... how the fuck can you be so fucking retarded? how?

"if you fuck up, the boss will kill you". no shit, sherlock... did you know that if you fuck up at Pinwheel he can kill you? did you know that if you fuck up at the Congregation they will kill you? it's true!

wow. just wow

no he fucking doesn't. just because you don't have 2 opposing thumbs and a double digit amount of functioning, connected neurons, doesn't mean everybody else doesn't. he's mechanically one of the simplest bosses because all you have to do is wait for his overlong attack animations to finish while you mostly twiddle your thumbs or run around like a headless chicken, and then whack at his head. repeat until he kills you because you were bored out of your skull doing the same thing over and over for 20 minutes and you've just started phase 2 (hyperbole, just in case you're so braindead you cannot comprehend it)

all of his attacks have the exact same animation down to the millisecond whenever he performs them, whether you're in your fast rolling dexfag character rolling around like a cirque do soleil applicant, or you fat noroll strbro slumbering around like BROBERT. let me guess, you read this bullshit on that garbage site that is fextralie, the most inaccurate wiki page on the planet?
Whatever dude. Your opinion is in the minority for a reason.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
did you know that if you fuck up at Pinwheel he can kill you?

Pics or it didn't happen.

Nevar forget.

Finally cleared out the Catacombs yesterday (well, at least all the stuff I could find, I am sure there are 50 other side tunnels I missed). After re-mastering parry, I did much better with skellies (was using a Divine Lucerne for them before), and then took out Pinwheel after only a few tries. Pretty cool fight, all his alts and the fireballs make things tense, but not too difficult. Found the undead blacksmith down there too, but not that damn sister thorolund, who the carim knight told me should be somewhere under the catacombs. No spoilers though.

Got a lot of loot down there too, Black Knight Greataxe, Scythe, Father's Mask, etc.

After that, went to New Londo Ruins again. Cleared out most of it. That one building with 400 ghosts is annoing af. If you try to draw them out in ones or twos, there's a 90% chance you will fall down into water and die, as between the targeting system and the way they move and fight, it's almost impossible not to fall off those damn walkways. If on the other hand, you run into the building, prepare to be attacked by all 40 at once, coming through the walls, which si also annoying af. I did manage to do it the second way finally, but took a lot of tries. A good 360 degree twirling weapon is essential. I was using my Divine Lucerne.

Fishy

Savant
Fair enough, now I'm impressed.
rating_lulz.gif

Israfael

Arcane
Had base game for ages, finished recently with some troubles on twin princes, aldrich and the giant boss (for some reason, Sieg-whatever guy did not help me so I had to do it alone with basically starting stamina/hp (and all negative 'buffs' sorcs get for wearing the spell casting gear)). Hard to say if it's better than DS2 - it's mostly too easy, but at the same time there's much less tracking, which is good for me. Don't think I remember any boss or enemy that does tracking as bad as Pursuer or those metal mace knights before dragonrider.

On the other hand, it also has the same annoying attitude towards socercery - i guess PVP crowded whined too much and it got nerfed to the ground - i felt powerful only after I got to 50+ int, otherwise killing stuff with melee weapons was much more faster and safer way of doing things). So, are DLCs worth buying? One of the three addons to DS2 had extremely anti-socerery tuning, I basically suffered through whole of it only to find that I simply lack enough casts to kill the boss after defeating bazillion of summoned adds that precede him)

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
DLC is totally worth it.
(1) three of the best bosses in the whole series
(2) fun, powerful, versatile, and unique weapons that I can't imagine not having at my disposal
(3) new magic that makes certain builds and play styles more viable (as a sorceries user, you will love Great Soul Dregs and Old Moonlight)
(4) hollow arena -- makes PVP not a pain in the ass and is still very active
(5) a fitting epilogue

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom