Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bros, in 2012, Wind Waker is hardcore

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have to say I am not feeling OoT. It all seems so small :(

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
When I picked up OOT again a while ago I was literally stunned by how well-designed that first dungeon was (and most of them are). Compare modern Zelda games to it. There's something very purposeful in the design, with its multiple levels, its themes, its quiet atmospheric music. There's a lot of love there that just can't be found in Skyward Sword or TP.
Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword had a few dungeons like that, such as the old snowed in mansion in TP or the Ancient Cistern in SS. But yes, for the most part the level design in the series has declined a lot. The designers are just going through the motions at this point and barely try anymore. Skyward Sword in particular, most of its dungeons were very short and linear, and funneled the player through them in a straight line.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Good call about the snowed mansion; that was the one good thing I took away from TP. Plus, it had a really sweet item.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Good call about the snowed mansion; that was the one good thing I took away from TP. Plus, it had a really sweet item.

Most of the TP dungeons were pretty good.

Water Temple, Sand Temple, Snowed manison, sky temple,
temple of time

TP has arguably the best dungeons in the series. Skyward sword temples were mostly shit.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter

temple of time

TP has arguably the best dungeons in the series. Skyward sword temples were mostly shit.
The problem with TP's dungeons were that they were all designed around using one item to navigate them rather than a combination of all the gear you've been acquiring through the game like in the older games. All the puzzles were based around the one item you find in the dungeon, and once that dungeon was finished you rarely ever had to use it again, meaning a lot of wasted potential.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

temple of time

The problem with TP's dungeons were that they were all designed around using one item to navigate them rather than a combination of all the gear you've been acquiring through the game like in the older games. All the puzzles were based around the one item you find in the dungeon, and once that dungeon was finished you rarely ever had to use it again, meaning a lot of wasted potential.

That's probably the only downside to them.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
After Breath of the Wild I played through this. It's funny that a lot of the "hardcore" things mentioned here 7 years ago were eased up on in the Wii U port. The game is mind-numbingly easy, I should have played in the hardcore mode. Not that it would have made much difference really, as it's the parry function and easy puzzles that make it simple, and the hardcore function changes neither. The game itself is kind of a beautiful mess. I love the look and open sea world, but the actual locations are pretty limited and it just doesn't feel designed that smoothly. DUNGEON DUNGEON DUNGEON okay now faff about for hours DUNGEON DUNGEON done. It feels disjointed and either rushed or meandering, depending. I enjoyed it, I don't finish games I don't enjoy, but it is a flawed experience.

Was thinking of diving right into Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword, but gonna play some other shit first I think. Also Skyward Sword seems like a pain on a controller, and there's no fucking way I'm playing it with waggle.

Latro

Arcane
I'm playing through LTTP for the first time and I like some of the story bits but it's extremely straightforward and kinda boring. Link's Awakening and Oracle of Seasons are more interesting imo.

Latro

Arcane
WW is my favorite Zelda. I may be, perhaps, the only person who enjoyed the sailing a lot. I feel like a kid again when I play WW due to its child-like charm. It really is a feeling like I'm back in the days when me and my friends would explore the backyard and pretend it was an adventure. To me, that is the core of what Zelda is all about.
breathe of the wild didn't impress me with the open-world schtick, but WW's exploration with the random octopus attack roiling storms and rolling waves can't be beat.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
It's funny that a lot of the "hardcore" things mentioned here 7 years ago were eased up on in the Wii U port. The game is mind-numbingly easy, I should have played in the hardcore mode.

The OP was probably trolling (or was just ignorant). I played WW in my GameCube when I was 12 and I can tell you even when it's ridiculously easy.

but WW's exploration with the random octopus attack roiling storms and rolling waves can't be beat.

Are you saying WW exploration is good?

Last edited:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm playing through LTTP for the first time and I like some of the story bits but it's extremely straightforward and kinda boring. Link's Awakening and Oracle of Seasons are more interesting imo.

Yes, LTTP had some cool stuff (like spells) but playing it after the gbc ones is mostly just a huge disappointment.

Delterius

Arcane
here 7 years ago were eased up on in the Wii U port
never

ever

ever

play zelda ports

ever

Other than some ease of use shit I don't see much of a negative to the HD port? It looked fine, played fine. I read about the changes and it was basically all "made this take less hassle" stuff.
Well, the most extreme case was the Majora's Mask port but there's this weird habit where nintendo just unfortunate changes to the old games. Ruining MM's swimming controls was unforgiveable.

Well, the most extreme case was the Majora's Mask port but there's this weird habit where nintendo just unfortunate changes to the old games. Ruining MM's swimming controls was unforgiveable.

So there's one instance that somehow translates to "never ever ever", okay. The Wii U HD remakes had nothing but improvements to WW and TP. WW especially.

Don't listen to people with anime avatars.

This is the best piece of advice for using the Internet. I've been saying some variation of it for years.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

If I ever replay Ocarina or Majora I'd do it on my PC with emulation in high-res, so no worries there. Anything pre-Wii U is a no-brainer to play that way really, and maybe Cemu is far enough along to make that anything pre-Switch. I dunno. I just played Wind Waker (and now Twilight Princess) on Wii U because my friend loaned me his system so it was super painless. P.S. That system seems like a piece of garbage, no wonder it failed.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Are you saying WW exploration is good?
nope, but I'm saying the sailing was definitely atmospheric. i'd like to see them tackle it again.

I would say the main problem was: the repetitive encounters/events - very quadrant had a fucking tower and pirate''fort''; and lack of meaningful side content - the only islands worthwhile to visit were the ones that were linked to the main quest, which left the player with no reason to explore.

Gerrard

Arcane
Don't listen to people with anime avatars.
LyiSHNy.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I would say the main problem was: the repetitive encounters/events - very quadrant had a fucking tower and pirate''fort''; and lack of meaningful side content - the only islands worthwhile to visit were the ones that were linked to the main quest, which left the player with no reason to explore.

The only reason to explore is because you enjoy it. Most areas have something to find, from a treasure chart to a heart piece. None of it is really needed because the game is so easy, so it's only for enjoyment's sake. I find that world and style compelling enough it motivated me to do so and I ended up with like 18 hearts. More than I can say for Twilight Princess, which I'm 10 hours into and struggling to keep going. It's a very bland and railroaded experience by comparison.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
I have always wanted to do a Wind Waker mod whereby it is given back its fangs. Up the damage, lower the cash prizes, fuck with the drop rates. Hell, pretty much every 3D Zelda gets waaaay too generous with the random lawnmower-style grasspatch spawns. I do a lot of this "Wouldn't it be neat if....?" in my head with games I enjoyed, I think it comes from lurking RHN too much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom