Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ANTHEM - failed Destiny clone from BioWare

what did he say?

From the 2013 gamesindustry.biz article The Doctor is Out: Zeschuk on BioWare, Ea and consoles' uncertain future with Dr. Greg Zeschuk:

Q: you feel that BioWare's games were ever made to conform to some homogenous EA standard with things like forced multiplayer, micro-transactions, smart phone spinoffs, etc.? Did any of this make you jaded? Or you reject this notion?

Greg Zeschuk: No, I definitely reject it. And I can explain it too. The best analogy I use, in a positive way, is EA gives you enough rope to hang yourself. It was really interesting because we really made all the choices we wanted to make ourselves; these are all things we wanted to try. And that's something to remember - while we were independent we didn't have quite the resources we had as part of EA, and then we got to EA and it was like "wow we can do all this stuff." We had to be really thoughtful about what we wanted to focus on.

abija

Prophet
Kotaku's piece is really, really good. I do not get many opportunities to write that.

It is quite eye-opening, in fact, although it teaches us nothing we did not know already about modern AAA game development. It really feels like all the top decisions were being made as they are for a new product rather than a "game", things that have been from the very start if not art at least always considered a creative endeavor that go beyond the pure law of business and management.

You need to consider the kind of people that were his sources. There's a large amount of individuals in big companies like this who have 0 value, don't understand anything but run their mouth like the world revolves around them. These are the ones more likely to go and cry to Kotaku (what triggered me was complaining frostbite didn't have an already built save system, or how there was lag between ideas and prototypes - no SHIT!).
It might look good and is clearly built on what people know/expect from such companies, but if I had to bet, I'd go with "this article is really biased".

Btw, I've experienced a bunch of times shit like "don't mention Destiny" from this article. The result when sane people are faced with it is that they take everything they think the competition does well, just don't use the argument: the other product is doing it and works.

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
It might look good and is clearly built on what people know/expect from such companies, but if I had to bet, I'd go with "this article is really biased".
I'd go beyond that, Jason Schreier is a good case of “A writer who says that there are no truths, or that all truth is ‘merely relative,’ is asking you not to believe him. So don’t.”.

Someone took apart his "A Studio From Hell" Trendy Entertainment exposé before: https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2016/06/investigation-a-video-game-studio-from-florida/5139/

And let's remember the Riot Games exposé (while not written by Schreier) they did a few months ago in which one of the main sources was a literal nutcase that was fired from the company, and many others were other former employees with axes to grind.

It's a good thing for them that they seem to do most of these on soft targets that either roll over and play dead or post some passive aggressive snark back, because a well placed lawsuit could probably send them the way of Gawker.

Vatnik Wumao
It sounds like all this pain was self-inflicted on Bioware's part. In fact EA was the one sending additional devs to help put out the raging trash fire.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
badge_image.png

bat_boro

Arcane
You're correct on that one but the way things currently stand, I think Bioware's body will end up in a ditch somewhere, the corporate overlords won't bother digging a grave. I don't want to sound edgy but I've awaited this moment since I uninstalled DAI a couple of hours in

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
what did he say?

From the 2013 gamesindustry.biz article The Doctor is Out: Zeschuk on BioWare, Ea and consoles' uncertain future with Dr. Greg Zeschuk:

Q: you feel that BioWare's games were ever made to conform to some homogenous EA standard with things like forced multiplayer, micro-transactions, smart phone spinoffs, etc.? Did any of this make you jaded? Or you reject this notion?

Greg Zeschuk: No, I definitely reject it. And I can explain it too. The best analogy I use, in a positive way, is EA gives you enough rope to hang yourself. It was really interesting because we really made all the choices we wanted to make ourselves; these are all things we wanted to try. And that's something to remember - while we were independent we didn't have quite the resources we had as part of EA, and then we got to EA and it was like "wow we can do all this stuff." We had to be really thoughtful about what we wanted to focus on.
:roll::roll::roll:
Oh so they wanted to make a game in a year that have enemy spawn in mid air and drop down. Or how you get to see that every house and dungeon used the same architect that knew how to make only two rooms. And the characters were sooo memorable,they made you cry tears of blood every time you remembered them. So innovative,so progressive,clearly pushing the boundaries of what games could do.

Mark Richard

Arcane
I agree. Where else can you go for leave for months at a time and keep your job?
Dunno, any large company? Its unpaid leave contingent on a severe medical condition signed off by a doctor. You make it sound like employees can just skip on over to Human Resources wearing their underpants on their head and expect to be granted a holiday.

Vatnik Wumao
I agree. Where else can you go for leave for months at a time and keep your job?
Dunno, any large company? Its unpaid leave contingent on a severe medical condition signed off by a doctor. You make it sound like employees can just skip on over to Human Resources wearing their underpants on their head and expect to be granted a holiday.

Not if that large company is suffering from overwork. An absent employee, even if unpaid, is still taking up a slot in the department. Most department heads would try to get rid of that employee so they can free up that slot to hire someone useful.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sooo i just watched this casual whiny shit:

And got that the former CIO,the great swedish cuck that fucked the whole EA,was one of the reasons that the game is that shit. He sat down,played the game and said that it is shit and should be changed. Most likely too many words and the game needs more pew pew,better graphics and flying. Still it could have been shit game before he force them to make a new game out of it,we will never know.

The whole Cuktatku article reads like a fucking PR to switch the whole blame on the Bioware before axing them. And it seems that it works,seeing how stupid youtubers take those articles as done deal. Even the fucking biowaste put up a statement that muh they are retards and EA did nothing wrong. Fuck,people are so stupid and easily manipulated. Also all that whining about crunch pisses me off greatly. Some lazy git working for at least 10 grands per month is whining that he have to work for 8 hours per day and not the promised 6,booofuckinghooo. I really want to go on a rampage and bash the thick empty skulls of all those entitled faggots! God please nuke america!

abija

Prophet
The only clear evil from Kotaku article is the frostbite engine, so basically EA forcing poor Bioware to use it.

Frozen

Arcane
I watched Angry Mexican show on it and it seems EA top dude actually was an incline, he pushed them to fix shit and make it playable at least.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I watched Angry Mexican show on it and it seems EA top dude actually was an incline, he pushed them to fix shit and make it playable at least.
Well that is very subjective,stupid youtubers do assume what they are told to assume. All we know it that he didn't like the older game and made them make a new one for a year. For all we know it could have been a massive open world rpg with great dialogue three and C&C. After all the swedish cuck was know for his popamole retardation and pushing his incompetent swedish engine everywhere. It was all about pride and anyone thinking it was to save money...is a naive bastard :).

The only clear evil from Kotaku article is the frostbite engine, so basically EA forcing poor Bioware to use it.
An article that was send to EA for approval before being posted. The cuktaku cuck does know how to twist word in the name of his corporate overlord.

Why you people can't read between the lines and take such articles as the pure truth is beyond me.

:negative:
Too many sheeple in this world...

Frozen

Arcane
Well that is very subjective,stupid youtubers do assume what they are told to assume. All we know it that he didn't like the older game and made them make a new one for a year. For all we know it could have been a massive open world rpg with great dialogue three and C&C. After all the swedish cuck was know for his popamole retardation and pushing his incompetent swedish engine everywhere. It was all about pride and anyone thinking it was to save money...is a naive bastard :)

Yes it could be first move of EA shutting down BioWare. They sent this to journos to throw upper management under the bus and clean themselves of responsibility.
No matter how you put it its an incline that we are FINALLY moving toward putting BioWare out of its misery.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
One mandate from Anthem’s directors had been to make the game “unmemeable,” a reaction to Mass Effect: Andromeda‘s jittery facial animations, which became an internet joke in the days leading up to that game’s release.

h-EF0-A3-AFB.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom