Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Trashos

Arcane
Even if this game turns out to be a dumpsterfire, which I don't think it will be, I can't really hate on Cainarsky. Even in the scenario that they completely betray their older fanbase, I still can't hate them. Very few RPG developers have offered as much incline as they have.
(This doesn't mean that I won't criticize the game, of course. I just won't go completely wild.)

One thing I have noted is that they keep repeating in interviews that they are playing the game and that it is fun. I stress the "playing the game" part. Most non-indy RPGs make me think that playing them would be the last thing their developers would do. So this makes me hopeful. It may not be incline, but if it's good enough for Tim and Leo, it might be fun. [\fabulously optimistic]

Sannom

Augur
None of those were forced laughs. Was actually one of the least forced presentations I've seen of a gaming company.
Classic dicking around.
The fact that they burst out laughing when the quest marker of the director popped up and then started moving around is proof that this wasn't scripted. I too found that moment kind of absurd. Like, what the fuck is coming toward us ?

Deleted Member 16721

Cainarsky

It's TIMNARD. Get it right or pay the price!

ug.jpg

passerby

Arcane
One thing I have noted is that they keep repeating in interviews that they are playing the game and that it is fun. I stress the "playing the game" part. Most non-indy RPGs make me think that playing them would be the last thing their developers would do. So this makes me hopeful. It may not be incline, but if it's good enough for Tim and Leo, it might be fun. [\fabulously optimistic]

Most project leads describe in interviews how they play their new game all the time and it's just fun, unlike their previous game that now sucks, but the new one fixes everything that was wrong with the previous one. I've heard it so many times, it's meaningless.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Most project leads describe in interviews how they play their new game all the time and it's just fun, unlike their previous game that now sucks, but the new one fixes everything that was wrong with the previous one. I've heard it so many times, it's meaningless.

Uhm, ok.

Except that does not apply here. Leonard literary starts off one interview how he was blessed to have been able to make the game he wanted to make three times now (Fallout, Arcanum and Outer Worlds), they didn't badmouth any of their previous games (the closest is Tim's journal, and he's going to have one for Outer Worlds too) and if anything they spent 90% off the gameinformer coverage trying to deflate hype for it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Among those people there have to be at least some who understand gameplay systems.

If not, the company failed in their hiring policy.

Obsidian's salaries aren't competitive, so the only people applying must really want to make bigger budget RPGs (and these people typically aren't grognards) or are desperate enough to work in the game industry and no one else wanted to hire them.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Seems like Epic is getting as many timed exclusives before CDPR drops the Cyberpunk bomb - more so if rumors of it's release this year are true. They have no need for Epic being self-published & distributed through GoG, the 8-year hype surrounding 2077 will cause Epic's user count to stagnate for a time after it's release.

If GoG announces plans to give all third party developers a bigger % cut as well - Epic will be doomed. Valve seem to be doing fuck-all to compete with this, so here's hoping.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
Seems like Epic is getting as many timed exclusives before CDPR drops the Cyberpunk bomb - more so if rumors of it's release this year are true. They have no need for Epic being self-published & distributed through GoG, the 8-year hype surrounding 2077 will cause Epic's user count to stagnate for a time after it's release.

If GoG announces plans to give all third party developers a bigger % cut as well - Epic will be doomed. Valve seem to be doing fuck-all to compete with this, so here's hoping.
Just like what happened when Witcher 3 released, right?

Among those people there have to be at least some who understand gameplay systems.

If not, the company failed in their hiring policy.

Obsidian's salaries aren't competitive, so the only people applying must really want to make bigger budget RPGs (and these people typically aren't grognards) or are desperate enough to work in the game industry and no one else wanted to hire them.

Why not: "Obsidian's salaries aren't competitive, so the only people applying must really be grognards"

I am not saying you are wrong, I just find the argument lacking.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
  • Game filled with SJW agenda
  • Epic Game Store
  • No Modding because of Epic Game Store
  • Borderlands-tier world and loot
  • Sub-Borderlands tier combat
  • Art Style and Color Palette that makes Borderlands look reserved.
  • Generic Plot
  • Forced Quest Markers
  • Made by the people that made Dumpsterfire
  • The last original thing Tim Cain produced was a fucking Eoran Cookbook
  • The last thing Leonard Boyarsky produced was fucking Diablo 3
  • --hey at least it wasn't Diablo Immortal--
  • "AA" "mid-tier title" priced at the full $60
  • Feargus Urquhart is still CEO of Obsidian
  • This will be the game that gets Tim de-ownered.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
  • No Modding because of Epic Game Store
While you correct in some of your points, this is particular point was addressed long before Epic fail store deal. They answered that "it's hard to implement modding system so no mods" or something like that. So even if EGS wasn't shitty store, I still doubt that modding will be possible.
I don't understand what's wrong with people who obviously want to "steal" audience from Bethesda and outright refuses to see that mods can boost profit and create loyal fanbase (sometimes too much loyal, fucking Skyrim fanatics). If they want to make a long run series, mods should be if not priority, but at least one of their concerns.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why not: "Obsidian's salaries aren't competitive, so the only people applying must really be grognards"

My impression is that grognards would rather work on lower budget games and make fewer compromises for the mass market. Sawyer himself has confirmed that he and Bobby Null are the biggest systems nerds at Obsidian, and that most other Obsidian designers can't even play Pillars of Eternity on hard.

My impression is that grognards would rather work on lower budget games and make fewer compromises for the mass market. Sawyer himself has confirmed that he and Bobby Null are the biggest systems nerds at Obsidian, and that most other Obsidian designers can't even play Pillars of Eternity on hard.

Normally most senior positions in Obsidian would be taken by people who joined Obsidian before indie boom started in 2012. In a healthy environment people like Ziets and Gonzales would not be scared away.

I just feel that your rule works in an Obsidian case, however it wouldn't work in a most other cases, making it not a rule.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They answered that "it's hard to implement modding system so no mods" or something like that.

I will never understand that retarded argument.

All you have to do to "implement" a "modding system" is to have an open enough file structure that people can edit things. Paradox games and Total War games have no mod tools but there are active modding communities because the file structure is sufficiently open that you can change statistics and some mechanics in the game by editing text files, add new units, change the properties of playable nations, etc. Yeah they're strategy games but in an RPG this could at least allow you to modify equipment stats, add new equipment items, etc. It's not much, but it's something, and there's literally no effort involved on the side of the developer. You don't even have to publish a modding tutorial for your community, they'll figure it all out by themselves.

Also, don't they have tools with which they're building the game? Bethesda just released the same editor they used to build Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim levels to the community so they can build levels too. Simple.
Thief modding started when the community asked the devs "yo, wanna give us the editor for the game so we can make our own levels?" and the devs said "k" and they didn't even give them a big tutorial. The community figured out the intricacies of the editor on their own, and by now can even do things the original devs would never have thought possible.

The only possible argument you could make in favor of "it's hard to implement a modding system" is that if you use a third party engine and third party tools, you're not allowed to just release the tools you use to the community, but that's just a legal hurdle, not a technical one.

Allowing mods isn't hard. You don't actually have to actively do anything as a developer to enable modding.

Father Foreskin

Learned
Is there any way to defend this game anymore? For fucks sake i was in the nu torment hypetrain long after the tunnel into mount Shitpile. Its not looking good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom