Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outward - open world RPG where you are an ordinary adventurer and survival is harsh

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
almost 20 hour in i just realizedd there is a heavy attack button with the middle of your mouse that you can combo wiht your regular attack
:stunned:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wow, ornate chests are nice! Just cleared a dungeon and I believe that was my first ornate chest find. Had a "Prayer Claymore", a ritual mask that boosts stamina usage and a chunk of change silver. Pretty cool stuff.
yeah, most of the loot are randomly generated (but still make sense) but some of the unique loot are awesome.

Deleted Member 16721

almost 20 hour in i just realizedd there is a heavy attack button with the middle of your mouse that you can combo wiht your regular attack

And apparently the heavy attack differs based on how many swings you've already done. Or something, I dunno exactly as I don't melee.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Also, some weapons are ridiculously broken -- the Brutal Club (1h) has a strong attack that depletes over half of nearly every enemy's impact gauge -- even the shrimp or stronger humanoid enemies.

Mushroom Halbred is also pretty broken. You can get one in the first Trog dungeon you're sent to retrieve the mushroom shield. If you're defeated, the game spawns you right next to the halbred (which isn't there if you walk there normally) and the qeust objective for watever reason. It has a poison dot that lasts for fucking ever and I was able to clear all of Vendavel fotress with this via hit and kite. Which will net you easy brutal weapons. Though I prefer the 2h Axe, the 1h mace's heavy attack is a bit awkward.

Jinn

Arcane
Just finished my Blue Chamber Collective playthrough. Just to reiterate, I know there are a lot of problems with this game, but I love it dearly. Going to be on the top of my 2019 list for sure. Took a screenshot of me in my endgame gear in front of my house in Berg.

fPWb0c5.jpg

Ended at 55 hours, with an insane amount of stuff purposely left undone in Hallowed Marsh and Levant, and a few things left undone in Chersonese and Enmerkar Forest. Look forward to my Order of Ellat playthrough, which I'll probably do exclusively co-op, as this playthrough was essentially exclusively solo. Will try to gather the majority of my comments and thoughts of this thread into a mini-review in the near future for codexian posterity. If you end up giving this game a solid shot and liking parts of it, you'll probably end up loving it like I do in the end.

Murk

Arcane
Also, some weapons are ridiculously broken -- the Brutal Club (1h) has a strong attack that depletes over half of nearly every enemy's impact gauge -- even the shrimp or stronger humanoid enemies.

Mushroom Halbred is also pretty broken. You can get one in the first Trog dungeon you're sent to retrieve the mushroom shield. If you're defeated, the game spawns you right next to the halbred (which isn't there if you walk there normally) and the qeust objective for watever reason. It has a poison dot that lasts for fucking ever and I was able to clear all of Vendavel fotress with this via hit and kite. Which will net you easy brutal weapons. Though I prefer the 2h Axe, the 1h mace's heavy attack is a bit awkward.

Yeah the poison thing takes too long tho, and you can just get poison rags easily to use on better weapons since the mushroom halberd is kinda meh. Bleeding weapons (like the fang weapons) are great for that too, and have good stats as an early weapon you can make easily.

The 1h mace's strong attack is awkward but it guarantees a stagger-juggle like no other. Not that I use it, I'm running around with 2h swords and 2h axes -- just if people are having difficulty with a specific enemy. I wish the move sets were a bit more varied -- too many have very similar swings to one another. The heavy attacks are usually more unique.

PrettyDeadman

And apparently the heavy attack differs based on how many swings you've already done. Or something, I dunno exactly as I don't melee.
You still don't know how basics of Outward's combat system works, yet you put it on pedestal of most inclined rpgs of the last years?

LizardWizard

Cipher
Yeah the poison thing takes too long tho, and you can just get poison rags easily to use on better weapons since the mushroom halberd is kinda meh. Bleeding weapons (like the fang weapons) are great for that too, and have good stats as an early weapon you can make easily.

It really doesn't take too long though. You can delete a Vendeval bandit (which drops Brutal weaps, better than Fang) in 20 seconds with a mushroom halbred and that halbred is way easier to obtain than a Linen Scrap required to craft any fang weapon, which isn't worth the mats to craft.

The 1h mace's strong attack is awkward but it guarantees a stagger-juggle like no other. Not that I use it, I'm running around with 2h swords and 2h axes -- just if people are having difficulty with a specific enemy. I wish the move sets were a bit more varied -- too many have very similar swings to one another. The heavy attacks are usually more unique.

A proper 2h axe build can kill pretty much anything in the game within 1-15 seconds, the confusion 1h mace/club gives utterly pointless really. Sure you can play fantasy Macgyver, but it's really tedious micromanagement when you get down to it.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
It really doesn't take too long though. You can delete a Vendeval bandit (which drops Brutal weaps, better than Fang) in 20 seconds with a mushroom halbred and that halbred is way easier to obtain than a Linen Scrap required to craft any fang weapon, which isn't worth the mats to craft.
Linen cloth costs 1 silver, 2 traders in Cierzo have it. You can get it scraping virtually any cloth item.
Predator claw you could even get in tutorial area, if one of the hyenas drops it, plus there are lots of hyenas running around Chernose.
Iron weapons are dropped by bandits, and if you're so inclined you can buy one in Cierzo, for 20s that you can get selling shit that's lying around.
All in all, fang weapon is the weapon you get Day 1.

Same goes for set of leather armor, since leather becomes useless in just few days of looting.

polo

Magister

A proper 2h axe build can kill pretty much anything in the game within 1-15 seconds, the confusion 1h mace/club gives utterly pointless really. Sure you can play fantasy Macgyver, but it's really tedious micromanagement when you get down to it.
Its much better to just craft a fang weapon, you dont even need the recipe, just 2 predator bones + weapon + linen cloth = awsum early (and mid) game weapon.

Deleted Member 16721

You still don't know how basics of Outward's combat system works, yet you put it on pedestal of most inclined rpgs of the last years?

How I quoted it is how it works. I just added the "I dunno" for shits and giggles.

The more attacks you do with a melee weapon, the different the heavy attack will be. It's pretty simple. The goal is to deplete the impact bar of the enemy so you can stagger them and inflict heavy damage.

And yes this is definitely one of the inclined games of the past years. I am having a blast on my magic user run.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elex

Arbiter
Just finished my Blue Chamber Collective playthrough. Just to reiterate, I know there are a lot of problems with this game, but I love it dearly. Going to be on the top of my 2019 list for sure. Took a screenshot of me in my endgame gear in front of my house in Berg.

Ended at 55 hours, with an insane amount of stuff purposely left undone in Hallowed Marsh and Levant, and a few things left undone in Chersonese and Enmerkar Forest. Look forward to my Order of Ellat playthrough, which I'll probably do exclusively co-op, as this playthrough was essentially exclusively solo. Will try to gather the majority of my comments and thoughts of this thread into a mini-review in the near future for codexian posterity. If you end up giving this game a solid shot and liking parts of it, you'll probably end up loving it like I do in the end.
you have allied with the ash giant? (i got a passive from them so i wonder if i have done something right or all get the passive).

Murk

Arcane

It all works out, tbh, so up to preference. The bleed damage is on par with poison, I find, so a fang weapon with poison rubbed on is prettty good. Or add burning ;D

Right now I'm running around with the swagged out gold-lich claymore with the fire infusion buff. Good stuff.

Unrelated to the above, but on my next char I think I'm going to try a light-weight mage/gunslinger build (gonna save that blue chamber collective favor for the internalized lexicon, that way I won't have to swap to a book to cast spells and can keep the pistol on at all times. The second part is to always have a fast-roll backpack (so the scale one).

Renevent

Cipher
Just started playing this so far it's pretty interesting. I almost rage quit too, got killed by a bandit and lost all my stuff (like 3 hours worth) and got stuck in a prison. Then died again while trying to escape (rage intensifying). Then it spawned me outside the bandit fort with my bag and most of my items intact. I lost a couple things but nothing that couldn't be replaced. I don't understand the logic but glad I got my shit back because I def wouldn't do it all over again.

Exploring is really fun and you really need to be prepared when you head out(ward). There are some things I really don't like, mainly your stupid backpack and having to take it off during combat if you want to have any dodging abilities. That's just a unnecessary and tedious complication.

Anyways it's def slow and clunky, but I do enjoy finding items and slowly getting more powerful. As others mentioned there's no leveling system, instead you get better equipment and new tools.

polo

Magister
The first time i got to the marsh i died and got insta teleported to monsoon which was my destination. :incline:

Elex

Arbiter
oh.. well second half of the main quest feel rushed, i mean game is fine, but the main storyline ending part is worse than piraha bytes syile, maybe i have selected the wrong faction?

Dungeons are the best part of the game, and lucly there is 10-15 good dungeons around.

Mortmal

Arcane

It's easy to understand why he suddenly put it on the incline pedestal, he is starved . Its a low budget buggy game, combat is objectively complete shit, skills are mostly useless, magic is shit , oh and runic magic shit too...Yet the game is doing some things right, no hand holding , good level design and exploration , a certain unforgiving old school game feeling.You can still launch ancient games 1990 2000 using emulators and such and immediately saw despite technical limitations those were ton more fun than most modern games. Game is bad but it somewhat inspire itself from those old games. Last walking simulator was skyrim in 2011, a mediocre mainstream game catering to the dumbest suburban kids, even a 2019 bad game is still better than nothing at all .

Murk

Arcane
Had a good 'emergent gameplay' moment last night when I was going through the Royal Manticore Nest.

First one I saw in advance and could prep for, so was able to more or less deal with it just fine. Second had I had no idea, and since I was caught unawares (and with no preparation) it punked me hard. The respawn didn't send me outside tho, instead apparently the trogs decided to eat and/or sacrifice me. So I woke up with no light source in the middle of the dungeon, and I had no lexicon on me to cast runic light. This was... a problem, since my backpack was back where I died (which at this point, I have no idea how to get to).

LUCKILY I was able to use warm boon + fire infusion as a make-shift light source until I came across a torch. For a while though I was mostly running through the semi dark hoping my backpack is somewhere nearby.

I managed to find the backpack, run away, heal up, and come back buffed up to murder the 2nd Manticore. :balance:

polo

Magister
So with no little luck i made a very strong build. I asked for power when talking with the immaculate, so he gave me the possesed boon which increases decay damage, now i've found a greataxe which does 13 physical + 40 decay damage. That added with extreme bleeding from piercing shot + horror bow... Feels like cheating with some enemies lul

Renevent

Cipher
This dude is the most sickly fucker ever.

"you got a cold"

"you got indigestion"

"you got rabies"

"you contracted herpes"

Fucking endless lol.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Should a cleric-type character join the Blue Chamber Collective (there seems to be a lot of undead in the forest region) or the Holy Mission of Elatt? :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom