Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Origins - it's an RPG now

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
it's really meh? why would anyone play this instead of witcher 3, assuming you want to play one of these games. you can barely talk with anyone and you can't go inside anywhere and all of the quests are meaningless.

also it's quite annoying getting critical threat level immediately just for bumping into someone.

Falksi

Arcane
it's really meh? why would anyone play this instead of witcher 3, assuming you want to play one of these games. you can barely talk with anyone and you can't go inside anywhere and all of the quests are meaningless.

also it's quite annoying getting critical threat level immediately just for bumping into someone.

So I picked this up cheap and, so far, I'm really enjoying it.

However, I played it not expecting an RPG. I played it expecting Assasins Creed but with a bit more meat on the bone. I've actually been impressed by how much they've fleshed this out compared to the last AC game I played, Black Flag. But you are right, and that what's scary.

I never expect games like these to be RPGs despite what they claim. It's essentially a sandbox game with a few stats, items & bit of padding to flesh it out. Combat is fun if a bit twitchy, stealth is slick & meaningful, and the open world is fluff, but - unlike say TW3 - at least finding things in it makes a difference.

In fact it's surprising how much more depth, variety & things of interest there are in this game compared to TW3; and how better crafted the world is. See your surroundings actually affect how you play the game. It matters where gaurds are positioned, it matters where prisoners are kept, that wall you can see in front of you? It matters because it's a good stratergic position to get the drop on an enemy. The environment prompts the player way more than TW3 ever did.

I'd say that rather than AC attempting to be TW3, TW3 has attempted to be AC/GTA. Playing AC:O really highlights, not how much of an RPG AC isn't, but how much of an RPG TW3 isn't instead.

I wouldn't play either if I wanted an RPG fix. But I would play AC if I wanted a sandbox fix, whereas TW3 is a poorer attempt at that with more + better acted cutscenes.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This. For AC going "RPG" is misguided. The world is paper thin, NPCs boring and quests trite. I enjoy these games as mindless sandbox, with as little "quests" and NPC interactions as possible. Black Flag still rulez.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Are you for real? 99% of all vidyagame plots are childish and retarded in the best case.

Relativist drivel.

If you have fond memories of Black Fag, I'm not going to hold that against you - but it aged poorly. Probably lots of fun smashing that awesomebutton on that Xbox back in the day, eh. It's still shit.

I wasn't even talking about the plot, just how dumb it is. Obv. the plot is paint-eatingly dumb, but seems redundant to mention that seeing as you're familiar with the game.

Falksi

Arcane
This is good, really good. I usually hate games which are setup in such a way, pointless open worlds with nothing in bore the tits off me, but this is done in such a way that it's enjoyable. It's as if the devs were concious that the open world is just empty trash, and there only to provide visual enjoyment.

The way the missions are interwoven with the world is what makes it. It feels very natural, and naturally paced too. Missions all have their own bit of character, and are way less predictable than say TW3.

Jokzore

Arbiter
I'll be the first to shit on an Assassin's Creed game, that franchise should have stopped after the second one, however for 12$ it's well worth it. It's also worth noting that you get 6-7 other games to go along with it, so even if you don't like AC chances are you'll find your 12$ value in the rest of them.

Gord

Arcane
So, is it good-for-what-it-is(tm)?

I only ever played AssCreed2, and while I enjoyed sightseeing in renaissance italy (the setting was realized very well indeed), gameplay quickly became boring and the story wasn't exactly something to keep me playing either.
How's Origins' gameplay in comparison? Some sightseeing in ancient egypt does sound somewhat tempting at 12 bucks...

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Best AC sightseeing yet, they have even a legit educational tours mode. That aspect of the game is really, really good. Otherwise the main plot is retarded, side quests horribly boring, the RPG elements light and combat meh (but better than in previous ACs).

Falksi

Arcane
I'm thriving on this chaps.

It's fluff & in no way an RPG, but the gameplay is really fun & the world well designed too. Much prefer it to The Witcher 3, and if they added cutscenes + NPCS + C&C I'd be well happy.

Like all these massive games, it does get a bit repetitive & boring at times. But the gameplay & enemy hideouts are designed so well that you can still lose yourself in it for hours on end.

Xeon

Augur
Yeah, aside from the ship sections which I really hate those, I enjoyed the game quite a bit. A lot of content as well, probably even too much for its own good, still a lot of fun overall if you don't take the story too seriously and just want to sight see like cvv said.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Got this in the Monthly and enjoying it more than I thought I would.. the last AC game I played was Black Flag and I didn't even finish it. This game feels different enough that I'm enjoying it. I don't get why the main character can't sprint though..

Italian noble who lives in a city can sprint
African man who lives in the wilderness can't
:M

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Got this in the Monthly and enjoying it more than I thought I would.. the last AC game I played was Black Flag and I didn't even finish it. This game feels different enough that I'm enjoying it. I don't get why the main character can't sprint though..

Italian noble who lives in a city can sprint
African man who lives in the wilderness can't
:M

It's the pasta. Ezio eats more carbohydrates, he has more energy. Bayek is just a bedouin

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I've had this installed for a while and am playing it on and off. I can't fault the presentation and the atmosphere, but there's something just slightly lacking. I can't remember which codexer it was, maybe PorkyThePaladin , that said these games were designed to provide an easy sense of achievement for the more casual gamer and I think that's spot on. It's just so bland and derivative that although it's enjoyable enough in small doses, it all feels like we've seen and done it so many times before that it barely raises the heart rate.

I guess it's just that the mechanics all feel so familiar to a million games now that it's lacking interest and novelty. Gawping at the incredible landscape and climbing monuments only gets you so far. I can imagine if you were 14 years old and had limited experience of third person open world games, this'd seem like the best game ever. But I'm not. And it doesn't.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Yeah it is an autopilot sort of game. Enjoyable, sure, but nothing I would remember forever. These beautiful worlds that Ubisoft builds really deserve better games set in them, with stronger writing, quest design and much more focus on immersion. Drop that animus shit already.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Yeah it is an autopilot sort of game. Enjoyable, sure, but nothing I would remember forever. These beautiful worlds that Ubisoft builds really deserve better games set in them, with stronger writing, quest design and much more focus on immersion. Drop that animus shit already.
Yep, after the original creator of the series left after Assassins Creed 2, everything after that is a dumpster fire in terms of story.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom