Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Phantom Brigade - Frozen Synapse with mechs

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
If I understood it correctly they're now going to do Combat Mission or Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock style "plan & pray" combat system.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well Infinitron, why is Battletech not an RPG then? Because they didn't add the RPG tag on their blurb?

Here are some popular top selling RPGs that need to be relocated to GRPGD then:
  • Dishonored
  • Borderlands
  • Borderlands 2
  • Endless Legend
  • Graveyard Keeper
  • Hunie Pop
  • Orcs Must Die!
  • Orcs Must Die! 2
  • The Sims 3
  • Bioshock
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
I mean that must be the criteria, since the game has so far shown zero RPG features. They have never even mentioned anything remotely RPG like anywhere outside their Steam page. Maybe the mech pilots can level up skills. Wow, much character development.

So I guess it must be based on the steam user tags, especially since you've also moved Spire of Sorcery to GRPGD. You know, a game about managing a mage's tower. Which not even the developers call an RPG.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not the Steam user tags (those are random garbage) but the description written by the developers. Spire of Sorcery description:

In this original mix of strategy and RPG designed by Alexey Bokulev

It was originally in Strategy Gaming but after people asked to move the similarly described SpellForce 3 to GRPG it made sense to move Spire of Sorcery as well.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Some pre-PAX stuff from their discord:

unknown.png

unknown.png

New gameplay video should be coming in couple days.

edit.
Chad JenkinsLast Tuesday at 4:29 AM
Turns are currently 5 seconds
So, a tank will cover less ground than a mech for example
Different mechs will move faster or slower, based on damage and loadouts
If your legs are badly damaged, you move around half as fast
Tanks lose the ability to move when you blow out the treads

Cael

Arcane
Chad JenkinsLast Tuesday at 4:29 AM
Turns are currently 5 seconds
So, a tank will cover less ground than a mech for example
Different mechs will move faster or slower, based on damage and loadouts
If your legs are badly damaged, you move around half as fast
Tanks lose the ability to move when you blow out the treads
Based on this, this is turning out to be more Battletech than the HBS game...

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Not exactly how I envisioned it would work, but still plenty hectic when you add multiple enemies into the mix. Not bad.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Woah, this looks super cool. They even have roller dashes. And I like how it freezes in 'the middle' of the action, while sparks fly, and buildings crumble.
It's what I envisioned Front Mission could look like if they tried to do something new (and not retarded shootan) with it.

lightbane

Arcane
I preferred the AP system, this new one makes everything look twitchy and chaotic. Also, they're following anime standards and having the mentor figure die early (as early as what seems to be the prologue, a new record!).
Also also, so much for protecting the town. :lol:

I wonder if there is ever point in not moving all the time?
Will there be weapons that benefit from being fired while stationary?

Seeing that everyone is moving at top speed all the time, I think artillery, environemental damage and single shot weaponry will not be that useful to semi/full-auto weaponry.

Woah, this looks super cool. They even have roller dashes.

Mecha-sized roller skates is a cheap way to avoid having to animate mecha running around all the time.

We'll see how it goes. At least this is better than SJWtech (not that this was difficult to do though).

In before Epic exclusive. :negative:

rk21

Barely Literate
from the discord. Just about to start:

Chad Jenkins

By the way, we're doing a live stream of the new gameplay Come, ask me questions on Twitch, help get the word out, etc https://www.twitch.tv/braceyourselfgames Twitch BraceYourselfGames - Twitch Show starts Friday at 1pm PST, we'll be showing Industries of Titan and then Phantom Brigade's PAX Builds

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/mech-strate...at-system-that-lets-you-peer-into-the-future/

Mech strategy Phantom Brigade has a new combat system that lets you peer into the future
The upcoming strategy from Brace Yourself Games combines turn-based planning with real time action.

sDfRdEUTtA3nYUXGv7bKzm-320-80.jpg

Predicting your enemy's next move is the key to success in any strategy game, so just imagine what an advantage it would be to have the ability to peer a few seconds into the future. In Phantom Brigade, the upcoming mech strategy game from Brace Yourself Games (who acquired developer Tetragon Works last year), that's the hook. You've gotten your giant mechanical hands on some experimental tech that lets you see four seconds into the future. Your job is to make decisions on how best to spend those four seconds.

Phantom Brigade has undergone some major changes since we last covered it in 2017. It's still a turn-based strategy but there's now a real time element to it. You plot all your mechs moves, attacks, and other actions while paused, and then those actions are executed all at once, in real time, along with the actions of your enemies.

I got to play Phantom Brigade for fifteen minutes this week at an event in Los Angeles, and here's a look at how the new system works. Note: the footage below isn't of me playing, but it's the same mission I got to try.

Above you can see the plotting of the first mech's actions as we prepare for an attack from an enemy mech and several tanks. Basically, our mech is going to make a looping pass around the building in front of it, ultimately ending up using it for cover from the approaching tanks. Once the mech's path is set, an attack is added to the timeline—as you can see in the bottom portion of the screen, it's sort of like adding a clip while using video or sound editing software. You just drop the attack into the timeline alongside mech's movement action, which will determine when it starts and stops firing. Another click determines its target.

As your mech's route and attacks are plotted, you can see the predicted movements of an enemy tanks and mechs. Scrub the timeline back and forth and you'll see the enemy approach and recede. Whatever position your mech is on the timeline, you can see where your enemies will be, too. It's a lot to take in at first, but quickly begins to feel natural and extremely helpful in picturing the upcoming battle.

Once your second mech's movements and attacks have been plotted, you execute your actions. The game slips into real time (with a bit of slow-motion near the end) and you watch as everything happens at once. Your mechs run through their actions and the enemies run through theirs.

Once the four seconds expire, time freezes again and you can re-asses the new situation and plan your next moves. You can also inspect your enemies to see how much you've damaged them, and where. This is especially useful because, since everything happens at once, it can be a bit hard to tell what actually happened during those four seconds of sudden action. I mentioned this to Ryan Clark, founder and CEO of Brace Yourself Games, and he said they're looking at adding a way for players to rewind and watch the action after its taken place. They also want to add additional cameras so players can record matches from different angles and play them back entirely from start to finish, to give it a real cinematic feel.

Your mech's timelines can include multiple attacks using their different weapons, and defensive tactics as well—above you can see one of the mechs holding a massive shield, shown as a green bar on the timeline. Shields, like weapons, need to be aimed, so if you're anticipating fire from a certain enemy you need to block in the proper direction. And don't get to comfy hiding behind buildings: they're completely destructible and won't provide cover for long.

The timeline is a neat system and extremely helpful for someone like me, who isn't great at strategy games because I lack the ability to really think ahead. It's also worth noting that being able to see into the future in Phantom Brigade is a prediction and not necessarily what will actually happen once bullets start flying. There's friendly fire and even collision turned on for your mechs, so it's possible they may damage each other or get in each others' way if you try to move them through the same space at the same time. Your mech isn't going to be able reach the end of its move action if he bonks directly into your other mech halfway through it.

Also, if you damage an enemy they may not move as predictably as shown when you scrub ahead in the timeline. Knock the treads off one side of a tank and it'll wind up turning in that direction, even if the timeline showed them moving in a straight line. Damage a mech's leg and it'll hobble, possibly winding up in a different position than you predicted. The future can go awry when you pour a hundred rounds of hot lead into it. A lot can change in four seconds.

Phantom Brigade doesn't have a release date yet, but here's the official site and its page on Steam, if you'd like to keep an eye on its future.

J1M

Arcane
There aren't enough phase-based games out there for aspiring game developers to study. This often leads to stilted implementations or repeated mistakes.

Glad to see another phase-based game. Looks like they've put some effort into the UI and overall what I've seen is good enough to go on the wishlist.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
:decline:
https://braceyourselfgames.com/2019...unch-as-early-access-on-the-epic-games-store/
Phantom Brigade to Launch as Early Access on the Epic Games Store

10th June 2019

Today we’re announcing that our upcoming title Phantom Brigade will launch as Early Access first on the Epic Games Store.

As with our previous announcement for Industries of Titan, Phantom Brigade will be on the Epic Store for one year as Early Access. After that, we’ll launch a full 1.0 release on both the Epic Games Store and Steam.

Launching this way with two stages gives us the opportunity to spend more time perfecting the details of the game, and making sure that we can do the full launch with the strongest product possible. We really love how Phantom Brigade is looking right now, and we can’t wait to show you more in the coming months. And if you’re excited to see it, don’t worry! We’ll have a new game play video for you in the coming days.

Keep an eye on the Brace Yourself Games & Phantom Brigade Twitter accounts for more updates and release info in the future!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom