Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Xeon

Augur
Wonder if the next game could possibly have turn based if it gets a lot of votes.

Yosharian

Arcane
I think the main thing that sticks out is how I never get dispelled. Basically only those Dweomercats ever dispelled me, otherwise I never saw any caster attempt to dispel my party's buffs.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't like getting dispelled, but it's kind of an unfair advantage when I can walk into every fight buffed up to the eyeballs and not fear any dispels, even from tough casters like Vordakai.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The Wild Hunt can dispel as well but that's about it.
Worse, enemies never really buff themselves either.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Enemy alchemists start with mutagen and Shield all the time, several Bandit Mages start fights with Haste on everyone. All Wisp-bosses use Shield for Magic Missile Immunity and recast it if dispelled. Even Stag Lord wastes time on Barkskin.
Lich with Seamantle and all end-game bosses cast buffs too - and often die in couple of rounds because of it.

Casters in P:K do not have a cheats like loaded Spell Triggers in BG, so it is hard to notice their attempts on lower difficulties.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Enemy alchemists start with mutagen and Shield all the time, several Bandit Mages start fights with Haste on everyone. All Wisp-bosses use Shield for Magic Missile Immunity and recast it if dispelled. Even Stag Lord wastes time on Barkskin.
Lich with Seamantle and all end-game bosses cast buffs too - and often die in couple of rounds because of it.

Casters in P:K do not have a cheats like loaded Spell Triggers in BG, so it is hard to notice their attempts on lower difficulties.
It's absolutely reasonable that a dungeon boss should start fights buffed, they have tons of minions to warn them of incoming adventurers after all.

Cael

Arcane
You are going to end up with a situation like in the Gold Box games where every caster starts buffed to the max, which is bloody painful when it includes fireshield.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Dispel is not great

At normal stats it's nearly not as dangerous or a hard counter and monsters might fail
At super stats it strips you of all and everything which is not very fair

With Pathfinder spells and rules even if monsters would dispel, it still won't feel like BG2 onion peeling.

finished survery, wrote them to play Stratagems and rated all companion AI importance as 1 cause why would you not micro your dudes yourself??

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i did the survey and my top #1 wishlist really is just the ability to know enemies active buffs or debuffs without scrolling trough combat logs that moves like a god damn speedforce in big combat.

say what you want about deadfire, the UI in that game is still the most intuitive, polished and comfortable infinity engine like game.

Efe

Erudite
id liek to get a roudn to play varnhold soon, was druid companion news a joke or did they really add one?
how does kinetic knight's weapon work? do you leave main hand empty?

drgames

Scholar
Pillars of eternity 2 has a good and complex companion AI system. I wish they take inspiration from it.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I'm in The Other World in Bloom chapter, and boy, did I allow things to turn to shit! My kingdom is rioting because of all the sickness and magical monsters in the land and if I don't defeat the Mother's psychedelic cunt-womb or whatever it is, I'm doomed. A lot of people complain about the deadly timers in P:KM but that just makes it feel even more like classic cRPGs and gives it a much needed sense of urgency. It's also classic in the sense that some of its puzzles seem illogical, or at least this one does, trying to navigate that misty multi-colored nightmare realm. I'm ashamed to admit that I had to glance at a walk-through. And yes, I'm prepared to restart that mission that feels like I've got a shotgun poking my ass from behind and could end at any time with the complete collapse of my barony.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Don't need to restart. Kingdom rioting is part of the story for that chapter. It has nothing to do with how you managed it.

Incendax

Augur
Pillars of eternity 2 has a good and complex companion AI system. I wish they take inspiration from it.
While I appreciate that Pillars 2 made a vague attempt, Dragon Age: Origins had a MUCH better system. Even Final Fantasy XII, whatever other flaws it may have had, possessed a pretty good tactics system. I'm surprised more games don't copy them.

Xeon

Augur
i did the survey and my top #1 wishlist really is just the ability to know enemies active buffs or debuffs without scrolling trough combat logs that moves like a god damn speedforce in big combat.

say what you want about deadfire, the UI in that game is still the most intuitive, polished and comfortable infinity engine like game.
I think someone said you can see info if you press Y or something, or there is an option to Inspect iirc but you need Nature skill I think.

drgames

Scholar
0rCHOZK.png

They are thinking a turn-base mode?

Shadenuat

Arcane
They are thinking what can the do to sell as much as DoS 2. (I hope also "without turning our game into casul shit").

drgames

Scholar
They are thinking what can the do to sell as much as DoS 2. (I hope also "without turning our game into casul shit").
Stunning graphics, and I doubt they have enough budget for that. And due to the nature of the game, they can't turn the game into casual MMO shit.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Don't need to restart. Kingdom rioting is part of the story for that chapter. It has nothing to do with how you managed it.

No, I farted around too much by the time I got to the Goblin Fort and did end up getting the dreaded "Game Over" message about 3-4 days days later so I made sure to reload a save and streamline my time after the Goblin Fort. I'm in the Other World and have about 3 days before my Barony stats start to drop and it's the end. I'm cutting it close... too close, but I'm hoping that by defeating the Mother my kingdom gets at least some stability back and I can continue as usual. However, if the Lama Womb quest isn't the quest that frees your kingdom of the plague and monster invasion then I'm completely fucked.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
While I appreciate that Pillars 2 made a vague attempt, Dragon Age: Origins had a MUCH better system. Even Final Fantasy XII, whatever other flaws it may have had, possessed a pretty good tactics system. I'm surprised more games don't copy them.
in the survey i actually put Dragon Age: Origins (even though deadfire is the better game and RPG) first, then Final Fantasy XII Gambit system and third deadfire.

i see you are a man of culture too

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Also Ghastly Guardians have Dispelling Strike rogue advanced talent (Crippling Strike as well). Besides the rare Mandragora Swarms, the most annoying enemies in the game. Also they come in large numbers (which begs for aoe bombardment or Mass Heals, I suppose).

Wild Hunts are easy compared to these guys. Although I suppose they are easier to melt with aoes.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom