Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Reinhardt

Arcane
Random bitch ass nigga indies still believe they can get to the Epic store front page and sell millions of 5$ copies. Sorry, but this place is reserved for exclusives. Epic already paid for them and they need their money back.

Plaguecrafter

Novice
Q6qQbzs.png

I mean, that's all fair and dandy, but considering that you'd sell 100 copies on Steam and only like 10 on Epic Games Store because of who uses that platform mostly ('Fortnite launcher' and all that), I don't think they'd make a profit as they think they would. But that's just my two cents (which they wouldn't get on EGS).

GrainWetski

Arcane
As long also they stop selling their games on consoles, they can think whatever they want. If they don't, they're hypocritical cunts.

The latest retardation is claiming Steam refunds are bad because some idiot from Game Informer said so. He's obsessed with shitting on Steam while re-tweeting and propping up Sweeney/Epic. True professionals these JOURNALISTS in the gaming industry.

It's pretty great that people that never use Steam or do PC gaming at all are so concerned with all of this.

Last edited:

Paul_cz

Arcane
No one is being a cunt fam. The whole point of running a business is to make money and get ahead.
Yes, and that can be done by being a cunt, or by not being a cunt. Epic chose the cunt way. GOG for example didn't. Epic also could have chosen non-cunt way, there is a lot of stuff they could have done to attract customers without removing games from other stores.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The nice thing about all this is that in the end, the indie hipsters are going to end up getting screwed anyway.

They think that if they get to start again on a fresh new platform, it'll be just like Steam back in 2012 again. Everybody gets to be a millionaire! Good luck with that, kids.

Mark Richard

Arcane
If the Nintendo Switch has taught me anything, its that an Indi developer would probably make decent money on the Epic Store by virtue of being part of a platform with a lot of users and relatively few games at this time. What's the appeal for Epic though? Taking the small percentage of sales wouldn't be worth contributing to the sacrifice of their one advantage over Steam - the uncluttered storefront. Turns out virtual shelf space has value just like physical shelf space. Many Indi developers are in for a rude awakening if they think they're all invited to the party, which they surely do. No one thinks their own game isn't worthy.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If the Nintendo Switch has taught me anything, its that an Indi developer would probably make decent money on the Epic Store by virtue of being part of a platform with a lot of users and relatively few games at this time. What's the appeal for Epic though? Taking the small percentage of sales wouldn't be worth contributing to the sacrifice of their one advantage over Steam - the uncluttered storefront. Turns out virtual shelf space has value just like physical shelf space. Many Indi developers are in for a rude awakening if they think they're all invited to the party, which they surely do. No one thinks their own game isn't worthy.

The Switch got (gets?) a lot of indie sales based on people wanting new games for their Switch and Nintendo not being super fast with software. Also the portable aspect. However I don't think that applies at all to the Epic Store, since it's still PC games in the end and people have a gazillion of them. There might be a handful of weirdos out there who want new games for the new client no matter what, but in general people aren't gonna buy something just because of the excitement of getting it on the Epic Store, like they do the Switch or a new Xbox/Playstation.

GrainWetski

Arcane
99% are 12 year olds that only play Fortnite on the PCs their parents got them. Have fun trying to sell them pixeltrash or walking sims. Or anything at all, really. They've got their free games they play instead of begging mom for money.

Dexter

Arcane
99% are 12 year olds that only play Fortnite on the PCs their parents got them. Have fun trying to sell them pixeltrash or walking sims. Or anything at all, really. They've got their free games they play instead of begging mom for money.
Seriously, I believe some people are actually retarded and think some store can just swoop in and grab all them customers and become new market leader over night when the fact is Epic isn't even available in many regions at all, for instance nobody in China can buy anything on it and they will barely have any penetration in some huge market regions like Asia in general including South Korea & Japan.

People should watch the bit about Emerging Markets from the last GDC about how Steam grew their market over the past decade and some of the things they did to encourage certain markets to spend money on their storefront and consider that 1) The majority of Epics users likely don't even consider it a "store front" yet, but as you said as a Fortnite Launcher (like Steam was mostly a Counter Strike/Half Life 2 Launcher till ~2005-07) and a much smaller portion maybe as a "Free Game" dispenser. Galyonkin himself pointed out how for instance people who play DOTA 2 every day/week on Steam aren't the same people who buy a lot of games or for instance play Torchlight 2 and the same will be even more true for Fortnite.; 2) They're vastly behind when it comes to tapping markets and varied Payment methods; 3) Their store is a bit of a joke so far that doesn't support major markets and doesn't have even basic features like a Shopping cart (they barely added a "Search" feature a few weeks ago):

Kz2oMFL.jpg

(The size of the circles indicates total market growth between 2008-2018)

I think this plays into the "OH NO, WHAT IS VALVE DOING? WHY AREN'T THEY REACTING IN PANIC?" mentality/reactions that some people seem to exhibit.

There's really only two main things playing in Epic's favor, and those are that they're grabbing away actually coveted Retail releases by brute force bribes and trying to lock people that want to play those into their client/entice them to use it and that (so far) it isn't as cluttered as Steam and things might be easier to discover with some new releases featuring more prominently on their Store page. But as time goes on they're going to gradually lose out on those too (especially as the first year passes and they'll also start losing their "Exclusivity deals", which aren't a sustainable market strategy long-term).

Last edited:

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I mean, that's all fair and dandy, but considering that you'd sell 100 copies on Steam and only like 10 on Epic Games Store because of who uses that platform mostly ('Fortnite launcher' and all that), I don't think they'd make a profit as they think they would. But that's just my two cents (which they wouldn't get on EGS).
This is one of the main issues I have with all the criticism regarding steams higher cut. They can take a higher cut because they know that their userbase is so much bigger, that every potential game-dev is bound to sell more product on steam than any other store-front.
These indie devs are still gonna sell more games/licenses by utilizing steams existing userbase and the marketing tools within that client. How they don't seem to grasp that concept doesn't surprise me however, since these kind of devs feel like the only reason they haven't made it big yet is because steam takes a fairly large cut. Yet we've seen time and time again that even indies can make a crapton of money with their first release, as long as the game is actually good. Games like Rimworld, Stardew Valley or more recently CrossCode have all sold hundreds of thousands of copies. They would not have gotten that exposure without a store-front that allowed them to quickly rise to the top-seller spot and garner even more attention.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
People should watch the bit about Emerging Markets from the last GDC about how Steam grew their market over the past decade and some of the things they did to encourage certain markets to spend money on their storefront and consider that 1) The majority of Epics users likely don't even consider it a "store front" yet, but as you said as a Fortnite Launcher (like Steam was mostly a Counter Strike/Half Life 2 Launcher till ~2005-07); 2) They're vastly behind when it comes to tapping markets and Payment methods; 3) Their store is a bit of a joke so far that doesn't support major markets and doesn't have even basic features:

Oh boy, can't wait for Chinese cultural and social preferences to take over games like they are starting to with movies. What joy Valve are enabling there.

Self-Ejected

A_boring_GOG_bot

Self-Ejected
At least the Epic store doesn't sell

" Look honey what i made with a free RPG maker during the night while you were sleeping instead of having sex with me . "
" Dad , i've got an A+ for this school project today . "
" Whoa dude . You can draw boobs and pussy ? You are an artist "

let's sell it on Steam
type of shit .

ZeniBot

Cipher

" Look honey what i made with a free RPG maker during the night while you were sleeping instead of having sex with me . "

Firstly 1. What kind of person like that even has a wife are they talking to their hand? 2. I believe the correct term is Bob and Vagine.

Codex Year of the Donut

" Dad , i've got an A+ for this school project today . "

let's sell it on Steam
type of shit .
I'm capable of curating content on my own, I don't need a Chinese megacorporation to do it for me.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I'm capable of curating content on my own, I don't need a Chinese megacorporation to do it for me.
I wish more people was like this instead of being pathetic whiny slaves who need "daddy" in face of government/corporation to clean up a mess that they was able avoid with their own decisions.
So let me get this straight - Epic is co-owned by a Chinese megacorp but EGS isn't available in China? That sounds like another Epic fail.
Availability in China means obeying their over9000 regulations and few companies actually insane to waste their money on THAT BIG paperwork. Although EGS maybe a first step into brainwashing masses into Chinese way of thinking, that allows communist party to destroy countries with opposite idieology from inside.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So let me get this straight - Epic is co-owned by a Chinese megacorp but EGS isn't available in China? That sounds like another Epic fail.

Tencent has their own store for Chinese market, which probably takes bigger cut then Steam.

ZeniBot

Cipher
Valve should retaliate by increasing their cut for all games that were Epic store exclusives.

I like that one. That'd be a sure way to ensure no one leaves the fucking site then otherwise you come back with a heavy punishment for screwing our lord Gaben. It's a good plan but Valve doesn't have to do shit because it knows its already won just out of sheer install base. I really fucking hate the fact that you need to rely on steam but we all warned people that would happen, its a bit too late now to change sides.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Valve should retaliate by increasing their cut for all games that were Epic store exclusives.

I like that one. That'd be a sure way to ensure no one leaves the fucking site then otherwise you come back with a heavy punishment for screwing our lord Gaben. It's a good plan but Valve doesn't have to do shit because it knows its already won just out of sheer install base. I really fucking hate the fact that you need to rely on steam but we all warned people that would happen, its a bit too late now to change sides.

As long as we can bootleg games no one is relaying on nobody

cosmicray

Savant
It's a good plan but Valve doesn't have to do shit because it knows its already won just out of sheer install base.
Sheer install base didn't help IE. You still need a good product. Thankfully, Steam is still the best option for its userbase and steadily continues to evolve and add features.

In other news - RDR2 is rumored to also be an exclusive.

Gerrard

Arcane
In other news - RDR2 is rumored to also be an exclusive.
I can guarantee you that, much like Fortnite players, a large number of RDR2 players never played anything other than AAA trash as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom