Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bros, in 2012, Wind Waker is hardcore

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I have always wanted to do a Wind Waker mod whereby it is given back its fangs. Up the damage, lower the cash prizes, fuck with the drop rates. Hell, pretty much every 3D Zelda gets waaaay too generous with the random lawnmower-style grasspatch spawns. I do a lot of this "Wouldn't it be neat if....?" in my head with games I enjoyed, I think it comes from lurking RHN too much.

The Wii U port has a hard mode where there are no heart spawns from enemies/pots/grass and the enemies do double damage. Next time I play I might use that. However the game is easy because of the parry function and lack of enemy aggression, so I'm not sure how much difference it would make.

Xmantis

Novice
It's interesting to go back and play older games made "for children" and see how much more they demand of the player than the games made today. Wind Waker is much more hardcore than The Witcher 3 (or as I like to call it, The Bitcher 3).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's interesting to go back and play older games made "for children" and see how much more they demand of the player than the games made today. Wind Waker is much more hardcore than The Witcher 3 (or as I like to call it, The Bitcher 3).

Indeed, even the HD port. Breath of the Wild is "harder" than almost any PC RPG I can think of from the last decade, even though it's not that hard really. The fact it has no fucking quest arrow, or even a quest marker of any use on the map half the time, is amazing to me. Nintendo of all companies, making a mainstream family friendly game, says "no quest marker required you pleebs." Kind of crazy, but in a good way. I "mod" quest arrows out of games like Skyrim, but the quests are so designed around them anyway you have to leave them on the map at least.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
BOTW literally has Ubisoft towers like in assassin's creed that you climb up to mark important spots. It's hilarious that you people think that's hardcore by any era's standards

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
BOTW literally has Ubisoft towers like in assassin's creed that you climb up to mark important spots. It's hilarious that you people think that's hardcore by any era's standards

Did you actually think this one example in a game that size means something? When you had this thought, were you like "I'm gonna own these fools" with that shit? The point is about lack of hand-holding dumbass, your retort means fuck all.

Machocruz

Arcane
Anyway, people who got lost in open world games are morons of the highest degree anyway since most of them came with at least a map and your position marked. Some dungeons in Daggerfall I could accept, but even then you can make a save at the entrance or use teleport spells

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Anyway, people who got lost in open world games are morons of the highest degree anyway since most of them came with at least a map and your position marked. Some dungeons in Daggerfall I could accept, but even then you can make a save at the entrance or use teleport spells

There's a balance to be struck. Even I don't like the super old Might and Magic "make your own map!" type shit some people have nostalgia for. I just also don't like having my hand held the whole time with an arrow on screen, or in Bethesda's case now a total lack of NPCs even telling you where to go because the arrow will take care of it. I think Zelda BotW strikes a good balance, as did Morrowind back in the day.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Now that we are on Wind Waker. Gamecube vs Wii U. Which version should I play, I played like a quarter of the GameCube version about 2 years back before something something.

I absolutely hate how the Wii U version looks with all it's rubbish bloom but I hear gameplay improvements and that makes me think... So? GC or Wii U?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If you play on Cemu there's a tweak for less bloom, but honestly it looked fine to me on the Wii U. I think the opening part that everybody saw is the worst offender, or maybe I just got used to it? I dunno. The HD looks nice, though I guess so would the original on Dolphin. You get widescreen, but Dolphin might have hacks for that. I'm sure the UI looks better. Cemu has issues with the photography missions I believe, which is a factor.

As for gameplay, the HD port makes a few things more convenient. I think the much faster sailing and not getting knocked out of the boat when you take damage are the big ones. Though that does make sailing more easy, and sailing is basically the "overworld travel" in this game, so maybe you want the more slow and annoying experience? That's for you to say. They also made a fetch quest toward the end a little faster but it's not a major change. One thing I'll say is I kind of hated playing with that big Wii U pad thing, so unless you have a normal controller (my friend who lent it to me did) then that might be a factor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom