Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Are there any guyz who quit gaming entirely?

With years moving on I'm loosing moar and moar interested in gaming, there are literaly few games I'm looking forward and it's pretty rare when I'm touching old stuff. It maybe temporary but sometimes it feels like ending is near so...

1. Did any of you quit gaming completely ?
2. Even if you went on detox, how long it last?
3. Reasons? Being bored, focusing on another hobbies, lack of hardware or just life happened?
4. Are you expecting to be back one day?

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
I had a gaming lull. Basically, I lost my Apple //c to a basement flood in the winter of 1996/7. My PlayStation had died a year or two before, so I was without machine to play on or money to buy a new machine.

Fast forward to 2003, had my shit together enough to get a used laptop. Started playing Caesar 3 and Cleopatra/Pharaoh add-ons. Stumbled onto KotOR and my nerd wings sprouted again; started modding.

So, from 97-03 I was pretty lost in the world. It was not the best time of my life.

Now, I am finding it harder to find games that interest me, but I don't blame age for that; rather the general decline in quality that seems to be evident everywhere in gaming.

Self-Ejected

Circuit the Short

Self-Ejected
I never really tried to stop playing playing vidyas, but I do pauses when it bores me. Most of the time it works like this - I don't play for month because nothing interests me enough, then I find something that really hooks me in and I play non-stop 10+ hours a week, finish a game or two in that tempo and then I lose interest again and don't touch games for a few month with exception for some homm or worms when I really don't feel like doing anything else in the evening.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
In all honesty, sometimes the forums are more interesting than the games.

I had a long lull a few years ago after giving up MMO's when all single player games seemed to be banal, shit, boring, but discovered a newfound love for blobbers and Dark Souls and it's clones. Now it's harder to find the time than it is the enthusiasm to play. Backlog keeps growing and not enough hours in the day.

newtmonkey

Arcane
There's nothing wrong with taking a break if it gets boring, that goes for games and any other hobby. Pick up a new hobby, games will still be there waiting for you like a loyal dog curled up at the front door.

I took a couple years off from gaming when I first starting getting seriously into my first career, as I was too busy between work and constantly studying for work. Once I got settled into my career and reached a position where I had some seniority (i.e. my position was safe and I was making decent money), I started getting back into games and I found that the break had just made me more selective about what I played.

Love

Cipher
Since I never took anything that serious in life, I didn't even take the lazy hobbies that serious. Because I never had the hardware for the most recent games I always lacked behind a few years and that got me kind of into the discussions of developement and the origin stories and of course older games.

1. No.
  2. The longest streak of no gaming at all lasted for three years. It wasn't planned though.
    • The sorry fact I was completely wrong about the way games would turn out after the release of the big three in 2004.
    • A late intellectual awakening.
    • NoFap.

3. I think I already became what I hate about the gaming media: A person who opines more about games than he does play them. The gaming situation has changed anyway from twenty years ago. Now there is so much offered for so few resources except time. As a kid I didn't much think about a backlog since all I wanted was a new game. Maybe when I get back into this state...

ZeniBot

Cipher
games will still be there waiting for you like a loyal dog curled up at the front door.

For now anyway. Later on though much like MMOs the servers all get turned off. Gaming is moving to live service and soon to the cloud. Services can fail, can be turned off, games can be lost to time.
Think of all the MMOs we've lost and can never play again.

This is precisely why people like me are angry and want the AAA industry to crash before streaming takes over and we loose everything. All the more reason for curation and preservation. We look back on our games with fond memories, we have to protect those memories because as all the people in this thread have pointed out there's only decline going forward, this isn't because we're getting older its because games are getting worse.

We have to protect what little incline there is left.

newtmonkey

Arcane
You're right ZeniBot , but we have Internet Archive (for now) and decades of wonderful games with some of the best RPGs ever made among them. I have a personal archive of every DOS game I would ever want on my computer, an external hard drive, AND backups to a NAS. I am considering backing that all up once more to offsite storage, just in case. I would suggest to anyone now to do the same, because we are definitely heading toward a future where we own nothing and merely subscribe to services. It's a nightmare scenario just waiting to happen.

Everyone: Download your DOS games, Apple II/ZX Spectrum/C64/Atari ST/Amiga disk images, and also as many ROMs as you can find for console NOW, while you still have the chance!

ZeniBot

Cipher
Yeah I've been downloading as much as I can from Archive.org but problem is I keep running out of HDD space. I don't trust this industry one bit. They want to force you to buy the decline, they will take away your older games to force you to buy it, this is why they remaster so many old games because then they can justify removing the original files. Eventually the industry is going to go full ham and take it all. Retail is dead, have you guys gone into a store lately? I went in just the other day and stopped by the PC section, Unless you buy Bethesda games you're basically shit out of luck because that's ALL that is stocked, all other publishers that publisher PC games are effectively off the shelves now. You can see the decline at Retail you can see this push back against physical media. Its only a matter of time now. I'd say next year is it for retail copies and then they will strike the hardware market the following year resulting in total loss of control.

I'm going to start stockpiling tinker kits like Rasberry pi and those X86 boards. There's also a range of X99 series tinker boards that are around now. Very cool, good way to ensure that the hardware stays open and in control of the customer/developer, not in the hands of some evil ass gatekeeping company like Epic, EA or Google.

newtmonkey

Arcane
All I can say is, you're in the right ZeniBot . I don't want to derail this topic. It's not just game, it's all pop culture. It's moving to subscriptions and services, and none of these companies want you to be able to sit on a purchase you made 5-10 years ago (forget that, 1-2 years ago) and enjoy it without having to pay them month after month.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I've quit for years before. Usually I quit for like 6 months or so and focus on other hobbies and then come back fresh, but there have been times those sabbaticals have lasted 2 years or so and I think I might be done. Then some game will catch my eye and finally bring me back. Time before last was Deus Ex 4, then this recent time it was Zelda Breath of the Wild, which a friend gifted me.

axx

Savant
For about 10-15 years I've been having concentration problems, last game I completed start to finish was probably ID1 or BG2 way back. Tried factorio and Underrail recently but I lose focus after a week or so and stop playing entirely. So yeah, I'm a quitter more or less.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Passionate people are here.

Not all of them are smart.

Does this answer your question?

Absolutely not!
I am a garbage human being who enjoys idiotic battle of wits with complete strangers, and there is fodder here aplenty, with an occasional smackdown from a voice of reason to bring balance to the whole equation.

The Codex is not dissimilar to the Matrix. They both end in x.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Obviously not.

I can honestly say that I've been asked a million times why I play games, and I normally just shrug and say it’s a hobby, but that's a lie. Because when I game, I'm at home. From the flames of Cataclysm to the icy mountains of Tamriel, anywhere I venture is a place I love and know. My entire life, people preach that I could be anything that I wanted to be, but when I told them that I wanted to be a captain of a ship. A SPACESHIP - THE spaceship that saves humanity - that I wanted to be Commander Shepard, they told them I needed to get a grip on reality. To them, a “grip on reality” means the American Dream: Working 9-5 crammed up in a tiny cubicle, having 2.5 kids, a two-story suburban house, and a white picket fence. I divorce once, and I’d have debt into my early 30’s because I took some bullshit university degree that’s supposed to help me in the end. This isn’t reality, this is just some dull outlook on it.

Now, I understand it’s human nature to achieve greatness, but I can do this as Commander Shepard, I don’t need a degree. And if I want to go on an adventure, I don’t ever have to leave the comfort of my own home. People spend an entire salary to travel and I can’t help but laugh. I’ve singlehandedly stopped a reign of ancient wyverns from destroying the nation. To do that I had to learn their language, become a master in swordsmanship, smithing, archery, defense, magic, speech, hunting, and thieving. Not to mention I had to take down an entire fleet of assassins, along with a brigade of smugglers before I could even start my lessons in dragon speak. I’ve always enjoyed an adventure, but I hated pawning my limbs to afford an 18-hour car ride. And aside from being told that I could enjoy a white picket fence at the end of my career, all my years as a student was a balance between fractal formulas and believing I’d never be able to love. Which is literal insanity, I’ve saved Princess Peach. I wanted to become the guy, and I became the guy. I saved Bandage Girl, and I’ve been Link for generations just to save Princess Zelda.

But yet, I’m the eternal virgin, I’m the guy that’s never going to love. Sometimes this shit doesn’t make any sense to me, why people assume that I need to be outdoing something and away from home to have fun. When I have my own reality grasped between my hands, I have my own world at their fingertips. If I screw something up I can rewind time, I can’t do that in real life. When I’m in game. I’m free to do what I please, when I please. I’m free to enjoy things the way I want to. I can build my own kingdom and lead my people to freedom because I’m the mind behind the game. I’m the one who enjoys these games.

I am a Gamer. And I always will be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom