Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Roguey
Linking to posts made by yourself that contain the link to follow instead of direct linking. :M

Man how much do you like sucking your own cock?

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Why is everyone harping on field hockey? It's an honored pasttime during summer.

If I start showing up in your Pillows or Sawyer Q&A threads with facts about Avellone or Miyazaki, or even worse - telling you flat out he's on the same level with David Cage or Peter Molineaux - your lips will get stuck in the O shape you're so familiar with.

Sorry but I’m not so thin-skinned to get triggered because someone says Josh advertises the games he works on and probably gets told what to say by the PR and marketing departments at game studios when he promotes his game. Please take a chair and cool off, sis.
Quick question, are you josh sawyer?

redactir

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
If I start showing up in your Pillows or Sawyer Q&A threads with facts about Avellone or Miyazaki, or even worse - telling you flat out he's on the same level with David Cage or Peter Molineaux - your lips will get stuck in the O shape you're so familiar with.

Sorry but I’m not so thin-skinned to get triggered because someone says Josh advertises the games he works on and probably gets told what to say by the PR and marketing departments at game studios when he promotes his game. Please take a chair and cool off, sis.

Do you know the face that never remembered?

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Do you wanna know how I got these scars? My father was a 3D modeler, and a fiend. And one night, he goes off crazier than usual. Mommy gets the power cable to defend herself. He doesn't like that. Not. One. Bit. So, me watching, he takes the cable to her, laughing while he does it. He turns to me, and he says, "Why so prosperous?" He tabs to the JavaScript window. "Why so PROSPEROUS?!" He hovers over the compile button—"Let's put a smile on that face!" Aaaand... Why so prosperous?

redactir

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
Do you wanna know how I got these scars? My father was a 3D modeler, and a fiend. And one night, he goes off crazier than usual. Mommy gets the power cable to defend herself. He doesn't like that. Not. One. Bit. So, me watching, he takes the cable to her, laughing while he does it. He turns to me, and he says, "Why so prosperous?" He tabs to the JavaScript window. "Why so PROSPEROUS?!" He hovers over the compile button—"Let's put a smile on that face!" Aaaand... Why so prosperous?

AW8,

Your fan-fiction is unacceptable because it insults the legacy of prosperdom just to depict a rather mundane idea of madness. Also there was no cruelty but arguably to the artist including numerous exiles from websites.

Prosper has faded much as an icon in these parts. But let me remind you of what was accomplished and how.

From pure tenacity and obsession came mastery of the prosperous art form. The real mystique is that no one understood why or how it was possible to just do these things.

If we stretch the word prosperous to cover not just the art or the deliverance, but rather the promotional activities, it's still off the mark to portray it as aggressive. Indomitable? Maybe.

@CAvellone
Do you still have the connections to get sound artists, particularly ones who can do music tracks? I will give you a free key to play my game. Hell maybe I can send you a demo.
It may be fitting you of all people on the 'dex see the full repertoire of prosperous creatures before anyone else.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Chris responds to a 2house2fly tweet thread

https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/1115034760068325377
Well, in Dead Money, my goal was "scare the player/survival horror" (thus, clouds, bomb collars, Ghost People, untrustworthy CNPCs, deadly holograms), but the overall DLC goal (except #2, which I didn't do) was that, yes, the player is the most important person in the DLC arc.
Did you intend (irrespective of execution) that the survival horror stuff in DM would give the player a feeling of accomplishment later on by conquering/surviving it?
Yeah, preferably in stages (I can expound upon it if you want), but that's correct. Again, you can argue the execution - but the nice thing about DLC is at least you can take a risk and experiment.

"but the overall DLC goal (except #2, which I didn't do) was that, yes, the player is the most important person in the DLC arc." seems to imply that he did not approve of Joshua Graham outshining everything else in Honest Hearts. :M

Butter

Arcane
Patron
How would you go about telling the story of Honest Hearts with the Courier as the most important figure? It's fundamentally about whether or not to corrupt the innocent Sorrows and harden them against the brutal world. You'd have to completely jettison that in order to make it about the Courier.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Is the courier the most important person in Dead Money? I always felt we were on the bottom rung with dog/god. At the top was Elijah, who masterminded so much, then it was Dean Domino, and his affiliations with Sinclair and Vera, then beneath that was christine chasing elijah, then finally you and dog, just trying to survive that shit. The only big importance to the courier as I see it, is that we were the main link, bringing all the other team together, as the rest didn't trust or know each other too well, as almost all interactions went through us.

Zakhad

Savant
Honest Hearts is underrated. It has stuck with me more than any of them except Dead Money. Was just too short. But the central plot was great. Love to see a game really respect religion and not just caricature it. You could see Graham as a caricature, but he isn't, he's seeking redemption in a certain (maybe twisted) way and has his vices and virtues that are not just crusader LARPing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How would you go about telling the story of Honest Hearts with the Courier as the most important figure? It's fundamentally about whether or not to corrupt the innocent Sorrows and harden them against the brutal world. You'd have to completely jettison that in order to make it about the Courier.

You probably can't, which is why Chris "The Ego Stroker" Avellone wouldn't write that story.

https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10319

MCA: I think a lot of computer games stories don't focus on the player enough. I think some writer gets it into their head that they want to tell a story about the world that isn't really involved with the player. The player just gets injected to it. I think that's the biggest problem. Ideally a computer game story very selfishly focuses on the player, and pays attention to the stuff that he does and reacts very specifically to that character, rather than trying to tell a completely separate story, where the player just happened to be along and happened to influence, but it isn't really about him at all.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Honest Hearts is underrated. It has stuck with me more than any of them except Dead Money. Was just too short. But the central plot was great. Love to see a game really respect religion and not just caricature it. You could see Graham as a caricature, but he isn't, he's seeking redemption in a certain (maybe twisted) way and has his vices and virtues that are not just crusader LARPing.

Your description is purely theoretical. In practice HH had awful pacing and exploration, and shit combat. And the companions were utterly forgettable.
The implementation, rather than the idea, may be at fault, but that doesn't change the end result.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Chris wouldn't make honest hearts as it was, were he in charge. In the questions thread, he stated he disliked stories about factions, preferring those centered around people, specifically the player. Honest Hearts involve graham, and his "redemption" arc, but ultimately on the grand scale, it is a story about two warring factions the white legs Vs the Deadhorses/Sorrows(maybe). If he were in charge I doubt there would be any actual factional elements at play.

Trashos

Arcane
Well, as mentioned above, it seems he didn't follow his own advice in Dead Money (which I love, btw, it is DM>OWB>>>HH>>LR for me).

Btw, HH not only has Joshua Graham and the faction war, it also has the awesome Survivalist who literally became a god (for a specific tribe). Many characters more awesome than you are. There is a lot to like in HH (Joshua, the Survivalist, the map), it is just that it falls short in other aspects: constant ambush-like gameplay, stupid initial quests, underwhelming companions. I like playing it, but I wouldn't call it great overall. It does have some great pieces though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom