Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outward - open world RPG where you are an ordinary adventurer and survival is harsh

Deleted Member 16721

Not buying it, but to each their own view.

Codex Year of the Donut
Actually I think 'single player mmo' is an appropriate description in the most vague sense, though it's literally inaccurate since the game does feature large-scale changes like a city being destroyed that an MMO could not accomodate.
Played any recent MMOs lately?
ESO instancing technology was impressive when I played it. Entire areas completely change as you progress in quests, some areas become inaccessible/destroyed, etc.,

Murk

Arcane
Actually I think 'single player mmo' is an appropriate description in the most vague sense, though it's literally inaccurate since the game does feature large-scale changes like a city being destroyed that an MMO could not accomodate.
Played any recent MMOs lately?
ESO instancing technology was impressive when I played it. Entire areas completely change as you progress in quests, some areas become inaccessible/destroyed, etc.,

No, so fair enough. The last MMO I played was vanilla WoW when it first came out.

Though I think the rest of my post still stands; not that I disagree with describing it as like an MMO.

Not buying it, but to each their own view.

Not buying what, that in Outward the basic quests that shop-keepers give you can be done over and over and that resource nodes + chests in dungeons replenish after a time? That's how the game works, and that's definitely atypical of single-player games (like Gothic) and is very common for MMOs.

Regardless, it isn't an indictment of the game -- it's fun to me, and I don't care if a game built specifically with co-op in mind borrows features from online games.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
so i met that talking skull in a dungeon in chernonese. did a quest for him assembling his body.

and he said something about corrupted altar to free his friends souls or something but i can't do anything about it for now. is it part of a faction quest? do i need a spell or skill?

Deleted Member 16721

Not buying what, that in Outward the basic quests that shop-keepers give you can be done over and over and that resource nodes + chests in dungeons replenish after a time? That's how the game works, and that's definitely atypical of single-player games (like Gothic) and is very common for MMOs.

Respawning stuff + a few repeatable simple quests is not enough to make the game feel like an MMO to me. Granted I don't play many of them, but it feels like a singleplayer RPG with respawning nodes and a few simple repeatable quests. It's atypical because the game is atypical.

I mean, they didn't add respawning nodes for other players to harvest them like in an MMO, lol. And Skyrim had respawning chests with infinite repeatable quests, too. No one says that game is an MMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
I think the respawning is actually connected to huge amounts of backtracking the game is prone to, and personally I don't mind it.

On second note, now that the game has grown on me, I think, the other title Outward reminds me the most is actually Dragon's Dogma. I know their qualities differ in virtually every respect and I'm too lazy to elaborate, but let it suffice to say, they both are very unique games that are short in basic content and pretty much rely on those few novel ideas they have.

Elex

Arbiter
so i met that talking skull in a dungeon in chernonese. did a quest for him assembling his body.

and he said something about corrupted altar to free his friends souls or something but i can't do anything about it for now. is it part of a faction quest? do i need a spell or skill?
is part of a faction quest.

Mortmal

Arcane
So, do you recommend this game to an oldschool player?
Location serbia.. Given that wages should be around 500-800 euro by month, 40 euro ? Absolutely not. This is only worth it if you have tried everything else , bored , and 40 euros means nothing. I can understand fluent and co enthusiasm, but seriously no, this is not worth it. Its a bad game with some right ideas, the bad outweight the good.

filpan

Scholar
What if I tell you that I work for 380EUR and provide (just to pay the bills,kindergarten, and food fo 10 days) barely for my famili (wife plus two kids). So unfortunately I dont buy single player games, but pirate them. I would be happy to support a great dev team with a purchase.

Mortmal

Arcane
What if I tell you that I work for 380EUR and provide (just to pay the bills,kindergarten, and food fo 10 days) barely for my famili (wife plus two kids). So unfortunately I dont buy single player games, but pirate them. I would be happy to support a great dev team with a purchase.

Well if you pirate it, why even asking if its good unless you have limited bandwith ? It's not worth waiting for days either no.

polo

Magister
So, do you recommend this game to an oldschool player?
Location serbia.. Given that wages should be around 500-800 euro by month, 40 euro ? Absolutely not. This is only worth it if you have tried everything else , bored , and 40 euros means nothing. I can understand fluent and co enthusiasm, but seriously no, this is not worth it. Its a bad game with some right ideas, the bad outweight the good.
I kind of a gree 40 dollaru its too much. It lacks polishing and content, still if you like this kind of game, you will love it and gladly pay the 40.
If you are unsure, wait for a sale.

Murk

Arcane
I think the respawning is actually connected to huge amounts of backtracking the game is prone to, and personally I don't mind it.

Exactly, it's that way by design, not to copy some MMO.

I never said it's to _copy_ an MMO, I said it's a feature that's _common_ in MMOs and so I understand why people keep bringing up that comparison.

It doesn't matter at this point though -- and it's not like we disagree on whether the game is good or bad, so eh.

Deleted Member 16721

I just personally hate the "singleplayer MMO" tag for certain RPGs and whenever I see it my left eye twitches a little. :P

But yeah, it's all good. I wish MMOs were this good. :)

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
I like the game so far, it could definitely use some more content and polish though. Playing as a Spellblade/Rune Sage so far and its pretty good. Focusing on frost magic and using Brand at the moment and its pretty powerful, put the Frost Infusion on brand for the extra cold damage, drink a cool potion to give myself another 20% cold damage, drink a discipline potion to add another 20% physical damage, the sword itself applies pain and chill so the target takes another 25% frost and physical damage. Its so damn powerful.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm watching DansGaming playing this and I swear that there are moments when he would prefer to kill himself. He is bored out of his mind.

Deleted Member 16721

The game's not for everyone. You have to have an IQ over Skyrim Entry Level for one. :P

Deleted Member 16721

Wow, I just beat the game! Pretty neat. Very fun overall, liked it a lot, instant classic for me, my kind of thing. Kinda sad it's over already though. I could play through as another faction but I think I'll set it down for awhile now and return it to later when it's fresh again. Good stuff. :)

Deleted Member 16721

So pretty much every dungeon marked on the map is optional. Betcha by golly wow, that's a lot of optional stuff!

Renevent

Cipher
Yeah, and there's a lot of unique items to find in the optional dungeons. You can also pass-off items to your new characters which will allow you to try new builds as well as give your new characters huge starting power (since there's no levels/requirements). I've done a few of the optional dungeons and some of them are pretty cool mechanics wise.

I joined the discord server for the game last night and did some online co-op, tons of fun and highly recommend it if you can.

Really hope the game did well financially, would love to see the game expanded as I think they have really fantastic formula here.

For me the game doesn't invoke WoW/MMO's at all, I'd compare it to a mix between Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, and with a dash of survival game elements.

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
So I started to mess with magic more and I'm liking it more and more I use it. I would love to see the number of combinations and spells increased, cuz right now there's a bunch of different 'types' of magic but few spells in each. The fact that you can combo spells is awesome too.

The game really is a wonderful base -- and a good add-in, NOTR style, DLC would do wonders.

I'm particularly enjoying the use of 'Reveal Soul' and 'Spark'.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, and there's a lot of unique items to find in the optional dungeons. You can also pass-off items to your new characters which will allow you to try new builds as well as give your new characters huge starting power (since there's no levels/requirements). I've done a few of the optional dungeons and some of them are pretty cool mechanics wise.

I joined the discord server for the game last night and did some online co-op, tons of fun and highly recommend it if you can.

Really hope the game did well financially, would love to see the game expanded as I think they have really fantastic formula here.

For me the game doesn't invoke WoW/MMO's at all, I'd compare it to a mix between Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, and with a dash of survival game elements.
yeah, i found a kick ass grimoire in the dungeon near your crashed ship in chernoneese. the dungeon is cool too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom