Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

geno

Savant
Do you like the new epic launcher build?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Base layouts seem to be in, but no base building.
bq-5c9d438c5c14a.png

xmd1997

Educated
Base layouts seem to be in, but no base building.
bq-5c9d438c5c14a.png
In case anyone's wondering the facilities discovered so far are Fabricator Facility(Reproduces weapons and equipment), Power Generator, Research and Development, Living quarters, Food Production (Generates 8+ Food per day), Satellite Uplink, Training Facility (Soldier's stationed at base gain passive XP), Medical Bay( Treats 2 soldiers at a time), Vehicle bay, Access Lift( Allows Base personnel to evacuate), and Entrance.

mwnn85

Savant
Don't know how the EPIC deal affects the cross platform support?
The EPIC store doesn't even function on Linux; most available games rely on the STEAM runtime environment.
Will the EPIC store client just be used to deliver the game files? ( like STEAM does with Underrail )
Perhaps it's all canceled? Windows only now? DRM up the wazoo?

If I was a backer, I think I'd just rather get my money back in full.
Wait for a year, buy the whole updated game - it'll be discounted by that point anyway.
Assuming Julian doesn't move the goalposts again regarding GOG & STEAM.

They say there's only two bad buyers - those who pay in full up front and those who don't pay at all!
I still think the game has promise; the battles are far better than what we saw in nuXCOM.

Last edited:

geno

Savant
Some dev told that destruction physics are a placeholder in this build. If you can trust them.

mwnn85

Savant
game has promise
so what were the chances for me to skip exactly where Gollop says "SHIT!"?
because it happened
:)
Only just getting the chance to watch the whole thing now ~36 minute mark for some amusement :)
Julian's quite funny really - just comes right out with it. Rather deadpan.
Doesn't seem to like the interviewer at all or have much patience for his stupid comments.
Looks like a chap who knows exactly the kind of game he wishes to make - whether we all like it or not.

I still believe we'll end with up a very decent game here.
The EPIC store exclusive business is shit. The loss of Linux support is really shit for me - WINE worked on an older backer build last time I tried it.
They claim the game will still be DRM free - just using the EPIC client to download it - have to wait and see if that changes.

I think it'll be quite challenging when all the aliens start mutating and combining.
The inventory looks like it's changed over to a grid. Those adjustable overwatch fire cones are perfect now.
Pretty sure the red sight lines (when choosing where to move) aren't new but it's still a clever touch.

Gonna grab backer build 4 from a certain russian site and have a go of it.
I can see lots of improvements over the older build where you just fought the queen over and over.
Must've struck a bloody good deal to stick two fingers up at most people who pre-ordered.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
55630464_826710711042504_967379132168011776_n.jpg

Now that is one ugly and godawful designed vehicle. Why put it on 4 separate tracks, so that more things can go wrong with it? And you raise the whole thing up so that it's easier to shot at? And why the fuck is there a goddamn spoiler on a fucking tracked tank?!

2008 is calling and it wants its graphics back.
I bet you'd love it if they added shoulder pads.

mwnn85

Savant
Looks like a chap who knows exactly the kind of game he wishes to make - whether we all like it or not.
If FiraXCOM really is what he wanted to make all along, X-COM was a fucking miracle.
I just think his tastes have possibly changed/softened over the years and he's probably a realist.
If you listen to the XCOM postmortem he seems to dislike the man management aspects and a few other things I see as strengths.

He's done the niche stuff like Laser Squad Nemesis, Rebelstar: Tactical Command (GBA) even Chaos Reborn.
All decent games, had a dedicated following but none were massive hits.
Chaos Reborn's ~100k owners vs nuXCOM's 2-5 million.

I can't blame him for wanting a decent game which mixes in some nuXCOM, oldXCOM, perhaps sell it on PC & console and possibly hit the big time at last.
If this ends up being about as good as Silent Storm then I'll be quite happy with it.
Manual aiming, non-vanishing shots and those nice fire cones already make it a 10x better wargame than the Firaxis effort.
I don't know what the Geoscape will ultimately turn out like but the Battlescape certainly works well in Backer Beta 4.
Perhaps they could add fog of war?
Pretty sure this won't be shit like Wasteland 2 or Battletech.

I'm not even sure if XCOM & TFTD can really be improved; when I play OpenXcom I don't feel it's missing anything.
So why bother making a clone of it? If I want to play the original then I'll just fire it up instead.
Nick Gollop never gets a mention either - where is the guy? Must exist somewhere...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom