Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Conan Exiles - Funcom strikes again

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I think they managed to fix the crocs by now.

*walks across the bottom of the river and emerges on the bank behind u*

What's that you said? I was too busy trying to figure out how to attack prey when not on dry land.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
That reminds me, I don't think I ever posted a proper picture of my character from when we played earlier this year:

81ffb0ee74.png

WHAT THE FUCK?!

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

the game is being in a bad state.. Sadly despite having an awesome rp community there is hardly any other merit the game has.
Months to release patches that fix minor things and introduce other crippling bugs.
Lack of content too is a real problem.
Recently they spiced up a bit of mob variety with minibosses but in the end the game lacks depth.
It is just gamey riddled with bad design decisions starting from the UI to everything else.
No wonder unofficial servers mostly run mods that undo what funcom did.

In the latest blog posts they stated.

Fixed voice for roleplayers.
When the most populated roleplay server don't use even voice at all.

They seem totally out of touch with their community.

Last edited by a moderator:

ortucis

Prophet
Game has no point. A competent developer would spend time using this license to create a game filled with interesting stories to tell, set proper quests and give a living, breathing town where people can explore and feel immersed in the Conan universe.

Instead, it's a generic survival/base building game where you build pointless architecture (for some reason, since servers are usually empty), and then go around killing such amazing beasts as: Wolves, Rhino's, Crocodiles, Skeletons.. while collecting audio logs notes written on paper.

Then there's the fact that enemy AI is beyond retarded. I've seen enemies in Quake 2 that have more attack moves/variations, plus ability to climb up without getting stuck, than this game where crocodiles couldn't swim and just walked on ground, under water, to reach the other side, unable to attack the player hovering above them (no idea if that was fixed).

I played this game in EA. It's funny that same issues which made it suck back then, persisted when it was released (without promised content).

Last edited:

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Architecture is another thing the game fails at.
Everything looks the same and is designed around block even column are squared building has some interesting mechanics but seems to follow the square rule of pretty much every other survival game out there. ARK,RUST,ATLAS you name it. On top of that most of the textures looks like plastic wich is weird considering the game have places like sempermeru that are built in sandstone looking like sandstone and not melted plastic.
Again lack of immagination can kill a title even if it had great potential and is what is happening here.
The AI is broken. Ennemies in the final game still teleport around and no is not lag related since this happens even in singleplay.

ortucis

Prophet
They wanted to make money off of Conan brand. Probably bought license for cheap, made their money back on initial hype and quickly abandoned it.

I mean, the biggest problem in EA wasn't the basic combat they had going on. It was everything else I've already complained about before. Instead, they spent patches after patches trying to fix combat system. Fucking Gothic games have worst combat ever and people still love them for everything else they do. Few idiots complaining about combat doesn't mean you spend years trying to redo the damn thing while ignoring the rest of the game.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Being objective i can see why they did that. They wanted the ARK or RUST audience. Problem is PVP players are mostly volatile as a community they are not interested in feature all they interested on is a game to be smooth and the murdering to be fun.

This ofcourse create problems with conan exiles.
Pvpers lost interest in the game pretty early in fact most pvp official servers are quite empty right now and are been like that for months. In the other hand RP servers have the age of conan legacy that makes them stay populated. Entire communities roleplaying and their servers are fairly healthly.

Funcom had the choice to follow the trend and try to fix game for pvpers. Or take the opportunity to shape the game following the other community that is still enduring despite being ignored.
They chosen to pander to pvpers and that's the result.

ortucis

Prophet
Most people playing this game even in EA were PvE players. Most servers with people were PvE last time I saw (in EA). Don't know if it changed.

But Funcom didn't do jack about PvE and the game died eventually. I'd blame the lack of content focused on PvE audience for failure.

Angthoron

Arcane
This is free on PS+ this month. Is it worth the 80GB download?
If you have a free data plan (some people apparently don't?) and some friendos to play with, it's probably worth giving a try. No idea how it plays on a PS thingy though.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
If you have a free data plan (some people apparently don't?) and some friendos to play with, it's probably worth giving a try. No idea how it plays on a PS thingy though.

My only friends on PSN are nice girls like "curvyjasmine99" and "sweetabigayle", who were bored and therefore wanted to become friends. But they never seem to be online.

Angthoron

Arcane

My only friends on PSN are nice girls like "curvyjasmine99" and "sweetabigayle", who were bored and therefore wanted to become friends. But they never seem to be online.
Make some more sweet girl familiars and tell them they can adjust their boob size for free in this amazing (and currently free!) game.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Maybe some day somebody will read the Howard stories and the magazines and make a fun Conan game and capture the adventure! Maybe. Some day.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Maybe some day somebody will read the Howard stories and the magazines and make a fun Conan game and capture the adventure! Maybe. Some day.
Conan Chronicles for nwn 2 is the best we got.
Ironically a few of my best RPG experiences were with NWN modules. Obviously the jewels among the rough, but it was surprisingly easy to find them. NWVault had "Roleplaying" one of its umm "categories," and some literally had skill checks and C&C.

I didn't play much NWN2 though, just the official stuffs.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's hardly a grind. Now, WoW, that game is grindy as fuck.
Conan is a niche game that isn't ever going main stream like fortnite or w/e.
Some people love the game. Most people at this point are classified in two ways in CE: builder or raider (very general terms here)
Builders tend to stick around because they invest a lot of time building up their village/stronghold/base
Raiders float among servers looking to stir the pot of war.

A player can get to level 60 in one day or even a few hours.
I took the long way and played the game blind and sans guidance.

There are drama queens galore but you can just ignore that shit if you want.
Some of it gets funny as hell with vendettas etc.

Summer time has brought a slew of new players.

Combat is RT and not difficult especially with tiered thralls.

Building aspect of the game is interesting.

Survival cam be brutal and environmental accidents are a common and frequent cause of player demise.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's hardly a grind.
Yeah, requiring to tear down tons of rocks and trees to build a few items isn't grindy at all... right.
As others (and myself) said, you can adjust these requirements, but on their default values, the game is grindy as hell.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's hardly a grind.
Yeah, requiring to tear down tons of rocks and trees to build a few items isn't grindy at all... right.
As others (and myself) said, you can adjust these requirements, but on their default values, the game is grindy as hell.
On PVP servers the harvest rate is modified by 200%
I can harvest more than 10k of a resource in less than 10 minutes.
A structure takes like maybe 1 hour at most to assemble depending on tier and complexity.
Small base can be built in very short time.

If that is grindy to you i don't know what to tell you. It's also fun and resources are a strategic aspect of the game.
Meaning a trip to the brimstone quarry could be a PVP event in and of itself

Is there a survival game w/o harvesting?

I've only tried RUST and 7Days to Die as far as survival goes.
This game is much much less grindy than something like Fallout or RPGs in general. In those you are forced as a player to proceed according to the game's design.
100's of hours grinding stats, buffs, epics, tweaking characters each level. So actually what you are trying to assert is diametrically opposed to the reality.
In a Conan type game I can play naked with stone weapons and tools if I want. More established players can be pillaged by a lowly newbie in some situations.
That's not grindy. That's fun.

And my character is hotter than any of yours. :positive:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gvXv3t][/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gvXuXy][/URL]

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom