Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you buy my RPG?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

Deleted Member 16721

Gold Box but RTWP since it's my favorite style.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
For the record I would be producing/designing it but working with a team of 5-10 devs to cover the coding and creation of the game itself.

So you're the ideas guy in the whole process?

I think I've heard that before

Also, I think hell would freeze over before you 'develop' anything. And I mean that in the most friendliest way, you don't strike me as the most level-headed, organized person to lead a team of developers from your bedroom

Deleted Member 16721

I wouldn't be managing people, just be the ideas guy and maybe do some writing. We'd probably have to rent some office space as well.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
c00.png

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I wouldn't be managing people, just be the ideas guy and maybe do some writing. We'd probably have to rent some office space as well.

There are two types of people I would follow. One who pays me a shitton of money or somebody who can convince me personally (experience, has actually managed stuff like this before, has a vision that is both practical and can sell something at the end) he is able to lead a team and bring whatever he has in mind to fruition

You see the lack of people with ideas there

So obviously, you need to get a shitton of money...

:takemymoney:

...to get anywhere.

Good luck to you

I heard investors are falling over themselves to finance cRPGs from nobodies /s

Incendax

Augur
I assume “Producer” means Money Guy.
Which also means Idea Guy by virtue of people having to listen to your ideas because you are the Money Guy.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Honestly Fluent if I were you I'd Abandon this idea of making a whole game and start with a more realistic goal: Say a small mod for a game you like, Bethesda toolset or NWN for instance, make something and see if you can implement your vision.

This'll be a test for future projects and whether you have the ability and inclination to do it. Just my two penneth though.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
why make a game when making a thread about it gives you the same dopamine hit? oh

You're so right, I make my own thread where I start talking about a scifi blobber I want to make with a changing gravity mechanism that allows you to switch walls, top and bottom and reach areas you usually wouldn't be a able to traverse

Just need to find some programmers who work for dog food and live in my cabinet

Tigranes

Arcane
Oh this isn't about an actual thing that you've done months and months of hard work on, this is about as substantial as some guy writing two lines in an internet forum

Yes of course I will buy your game no problem

laclongquan

Arcane
So would a singleplayer Baldur's Gate in first-person be interesting? Better than zooming out for combat?

You can try Baldur Gate Reloaded, a bg remake in NWN2 engine. Get the 1st person view, see how it's going. You can even set it to run as party of 6, as I have done once. As a not-fan of BG1, I can say 1st person view and better graphic done wonder for the BG1 experience. Although I do think if there's a small problem of spatial awareness. it's not easy to think of where any of 6 is at in regard to enemies.

good ideas are a lot harder than people realize
a lot of ideas fall apart once you begin implementing them
Good ideas are plenty. It's new good idea that is rare.

Example? Take Darklands. Recreate it with modern HD graphic. And I mean modern, HD, not the higher pixel Dos-era ASCII-level shit~. Think of it as redo the graphic assets. Done.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Budget I'm thinking of $150k-ish? I'm new to this so I still have to research a lot.
So, I actually worked as a programmer and a producer on a couple of projects. I hired former Ubisoft 3d lead artists that did some work for us for $8k/month and I hired no name, but stellar animators from Nizhny Novgorod that cost $3/hour. I know the indie gamedev industry.

With $200k, I could make an AA looking game happen (think pillars of eternity, visual quality-wise). Perspective doesn't matter, 200k is enough for a 3D game, too. BUT!

You're talking about putting people into your office? Forget it, self employed freelancers cost twice less than hired employees. And you don't want to limit yourself to local talent either.
You think you can do it with americans/europeans? Do you even realize how much they cost? I don't know where you're from, maybe you're a Brazilian or smth, but I'm just assuming a Brazilian wouldn't have $150k per year to spare.

With that approach, you'd need a couple of millions. And that is if you had experience.

What you actually need is a producer like me, who speaks Russian and can unearth and hire all those people as freelancers, organize them, and make sure they're not shit at what they do. But guys like me are rare, so that's not happening. Shit, I couldn't find a guy like me if I wanted to.

Your plan is impossible as it stands right now.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Honestly Fluent if I were you I'd Abandon this idea of making a whole game and start with a more realistic goal: Say a small mod for a game you like, Bethesda toolset or NWN for instance, make something and see if you can implement your vision.

This'll be a test for future projects and whether you have the ability and inclination to do it. Just my two penneth though.
Don't listen to him. Grab your dream by the pussy!

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Why RTwP and tactical isometric view if you only control 1 person? It doesn't make sense. For solo games first person perspective or third person perspective are the most natural and immersive choices. You can actually combine them, like in Fallout New Vegas.

However, if you only have limited budget, isometric perspective is the way to go, but for the whole game, not only combat. And you better stick to pixel art which is cheaper that 3d modeling (iso means lower graphical fidelity needed that with first person game and the possibility to stay 2d). Think 1st BG or Serpent in the Staglands quality of graphics.

Thing is, even cheap pixel art can be considered charming, especially if you look upon it through nostalgia gogles. For 3d graphics not to be utterly shitty you need lots of money.

However with only 1 character you don't need rtwp, which is best suited to managing parties. Just pause for inventory management/spell selection and go for full real time. Or don't pause at all and force the player to prepare before combat by setting his needed items/spells in quick slots.

Changing perspectives is a very bad idea, no advantages only huge flaws of such a design.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
huh, wasn't it that these days okay 3d art is considerably cheaper than pixel art, since there are so many people doing it versus pixel artists?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
huh, wasn't it that these days okay 3d art is considerably cheaper than pixel art, since there are so many people doing it versus pixel artists?

Well, you propably don't want your game to lool like Brigand: Oaxaca...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom