Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

Sentinel

Arcane
the game plays worse disabling the sticky aim. Why would you do that?
Because it doesn't. Properly configured it's smooth and adds challenge and some tension to gunfights, instead of insta-headshotting everyone because the auto aim is so fucking ridiculously braindead
Why say you can make yourself invincible like max if max can't be?
I never said that. take the quote in context
You can even make yourself invincible just like Max with the amount of tonics you have and just run around shooting people in the dick for a time.
The "time" is basically how long you manage to make the gold health bar last. It goes away after a few shots taken.
Here's the thing, you will only fight bounty hunters if you've commited large crimes and stay in areas that you committed those crimes in. I would wager, most players won't commit those high bounty crimes like massacring an entire town without having a back-up save or without having enough money to pay it off. It's a good enough system that I learned the hard way by having a large bounty that I didn't pay off because I wanted to hunt and the bounty hunters kept hunting me.
Yes, you will only fight bounty hunters if you actually play like an outlaw. The arguably canon playthrough is low honor scum until chapter 6 and then go max redemption high honor (there's even a Positive Honor 1.5x multiplier in Chapter 6). You're supposed to commit crimes (see 1. PS). And since the animals for hunting are spread out throughout the map, you'll often be forced to return to a state where you have a bounty on your head, which will spawn bounty hunters while you're out in the vicinity (even while talking to NPCs such as the Trapper or resting at camp).
This is something Max Payne 3 did far better because your regular enemies do have decent aim that only gets better by increasing difficulty, something you can't do in RDR2. The enemy encounters are also handled different in that RDR2 has more space so more enemies just stand out of cover during shootouts while Max payne 3 is set in far smaller arenas.
Max Payne 3 enemies have aimbot on max difficulty, there's no aiming involved. I think they're too lenient with the enemy aiming in RDR2 and I hope for a Hardcore mode DLC just like the first game had where enemies are way deadlier, but between aimbot enemies that instapop you unless you're abusing Bullet Time and enemies that seem to miss bullets, I'll take the latter, even if regular enemies miss too many shots for my liking.
I also have to call BS on Max Payne 3 having the same reticle system as RDR2. Every time I shot someone in the former, my bullets hit. It didn't have the whole "stand in one place until your reticle got smaller " reticle that RDR2 has.
You were talking about recticle spread, which MP3 does have. Automatic weapons become more inaccurate with longer bursts. If you're talking about the effective cooldown on shots imposed on the rifles in RDR2, well, again, I don't have a problem with it because I don't use auto aim. The game wasn't designed with auto aim in mind. While you're sitting there waiting 1 second for Arthur to recover from recoil, waiting to fire, I'm busy keeping my aim on my target, so that system really does not bother me at all - and I like that they implemented a recoil recovery mechanic. Again, if you're using auto aim, I understand the frustration.
Finally, dead eye is just an inferior implementation of bullet time. You have to reach a certain story point to have manual choice of when to shoot with dead eye while bullet time allows you to just shoot and keep shooting as long as it is on. You are given more control over Max Payne than Arthur in combat by having more dives, rolls, grenades mapped to buttons, quicker weapon switching, ability to go prone, etc.
The Dead Eye unlock system is shit and I hate it too, no disagreement there. The ability to stay prone after a dive would be cool but it's not something I missed in RDR2 or even thought about until you mentioned it. I'd miss it in a Max Payne 4 certainly though.

1. PS: And this is where the game falls apart and real criticism should be aimed at, because
- money quickly becomes irrelevant if you progress the story, making robbing shit pointless
- the Wanted System UI fails to properly communicate its complex underlying mechanics and leads to a lot of confusion
- there's nothing to use the money on

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
I know. It's a deliberate design decision (and I say this because I don't recall RDR1 being that slow either, but it does get close), but it's one that hampers the action
Well, as I said before, I'm a big fan of games like Red Orchestra with slow bolt action combat. If anything I'd slow down RDR2's combat even a bit more by making Arthur go down with 3-4 shots taken instead of 6-8. If you don't like slower combat that's fine I guess.

sullynathan

Arcane
Because it doesn't. Properly configured it's smooth and adds challenge and some tension to gunfights, instead of insta-headshotting everyone because the auto aim is so fucking ridiculously braindead
it does. Why would I add my own tension by worsening the games control from the optimal way it is set?
The "time" is basically how long you manage to make the gold health bar last. It goes away after a few shots taken.
This is not much of a point. Max is never invincible in his game nor does he have tonics to give him more health than he does.
Yes, you will only fight bounty hunters if you actually play like an outlaw. The arguably canon playthrough is low honor scum until chapter 6 and then go max redemption high honor (there's even a Positive Honor 1.5x multiplier in Chapter 6). You're supposed to commit crimes (see 1. PS). And since the animals for hunting are spread out throughout the map, you'll often be forced to return to a state where you have a bounty on your head, which will spawn bounty hunters while you're out in the vicinity (even while talking to NPCs such as the Trapper or resting at camp).
You don't need to commit crimes when you already have enough money to buy everything and fully upgrade every weapon and camp by chapter 1 like I did. There is no point to randomly go and rob and kill people within towns just cause. I don't need the money, I don't need the corpses. I don't get your final sentence here, why would you have a bounty because of animal hunting being spread out?

You were talking about recticle spread, which MP3 does have. Automatic weapons become more inaccurate with longer bursts. If you're talking about the effective cooldown on shots imposed on the rifles in RDR2, well, again, I don't have a problem with it because I don't use auto aim. The game wasn't designed with auto aim in mind. While you're sitting there waiting 1 second for Arthur to recover from recoil, waiting to fire, I'm busy keeping my aim on my target, so that system really does not bother me at all - and I like that they implemented a recoil recovery mechanic. Again, if you're using auto aim, I understand the frustration.
MP3 didn't have a reticle spread, at best it had weapon sway. It's odd that you can't see the difference between holding down the trigger for an automatic weapon and RDR2's implementation of constant reticle opening after every shot of your gun.
1. PS: And this is where the game falls apart and real criticism should be aimed at, because
- money quickly becomes irrelevant if you progress the story, making robbing shit pointless
- the Wanted System UI fails to properly communicate its complex underlying mechanics and leads to a lot of confusion
- there's nothing to use the money on
There's a decent amount to spend money on, it's just also easy to get those things through other means outside of buying, unless you want to buy clothing.

Sentinel

Arcane
it does. Why would I add my own tension by worsening the games control from the optimal way it is set?
Do you think having an aimbot at your service is the optimal way to play a shooter? Do you also think that playing Metro 2033 on max difficulty where the entire UI is disabled (and thus aiming is harder) is you worsening game controls from the optimal way they're set?
This is not much of a point. Max is never invincible in his game nor does he have tonics to give him more health than he does.
Arthur isn't invincible either so it's ok
You don't need to commit crimes when you already have enough money to buy everything and fully upgrade every weapon and camp by chapter 1 like I did. There is no point to randomly go and rob and kill people within towns just cause. I don't need the money, I don't need the corpses. I don't get your final sentence here, why would you have a bounty because of animal hunting being spread out?
You don't even have access to camp in chapter 1. But assuming you meant chapter 2, that's literally impossible unless you actually rob stuff on your own and pour every resource into camp. The train robbery gives you about $200 and $750 for camp. Paying a Social Call nets you $110, $300 for camp. Fully upgrading the camp (not even counting Pearson's shit) costs $2240, and 2 of the upgrades are locked to chapter 3 and 4. Unless you actually do stuff on your own you won't have money to fully upgrade every weapon (especially because weapons are also locked behind chapter 3 & 4).
I don't get your final sentence here, why would you have a bounty because of animal hunting being spread out?
If you want to hunt and have commited crimes, you may be forced to return to a State where there's a price on your head for a specific animal.
MP3 didn't have a reticle spread, at best it had weapon sway. It's odd that you can't see the difference between holding down the trigger for an automatic weapon and RDR2's implementation of constant reticle opening after every shot of your gun.
I can perfectly see the difference, you're just confusing terms. MP3 does have recticle spread, it's just not shown in the UI with the default crosshair, you have to use one of the custom ones (ironically, they switched this between MP3 and RDR2. In MP3, the RDR2 default crosshair is an option. In RDR2, the MP3 default crosshair is an option.)

Last edited:

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex

In short:
Game has lots of SJW'isms, you play a char that would most likely be racist saving POCs all the time, you also
get good Karma for killing people who do same shit as you (stealing, robbing)... Forgoes to mention things like
native american slave owners or the fact that most whites never owned slaves.

sullynathan

Arcane
Game isn't about slavery, why would it mention native american slave owners?

Arthur isn't racist because he was raised by Dutch who wasn't racist. The racist in the group was Micah and there are other characters that are racist. Is this all the video is about?

sullynathan

Arcane
The idea that in late 19th century America racism is an exception instead of a rule is so 2019.
Racism is rampant in the game, your specific gang is the exception. There's a reason why you don't take the two black gang members into many of the populated cities for fear of one of them possibly being jailed as ex-slaves.

Dutch's gang is an exception to other gangs. He was a teacher and ambitious and pretty much wanted to carve his own path with his own people.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
That's what makes it gay. Rockstar was too scared to make a game with a racist protag even when it made sense and would be expected, so they pussied out and made Dutch's gang a progressive band of LGTBQI crusaders.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That's what makes it gay. Rockstar was too scared to make a game with a racist protag even when it made sense and would be expected, so they pussied out and made Dutch's gang a progressive band of LGTBQI crusaders.

Even if they desperately wanted him to be the most racist fucker on the planet there is NO way they could feasibly do that without a shitstorm to end all shitstorms. Don't blame the hen for not walking up to the fox and asking what's up.

Sentinel

Arcane
That's not even the point you should be considering - what's important is what would it add to the story or to the characters? The answer is nothing. Quite the opposite, as Dutch's rhetoric hinges on equality between his sons (members of the gang). Arthur was raised by Dutch, so it'd make 0 sense for Arthur to be a racist fucker.
The other aspect is that the game doesn't really attempt to be historically accurate. I could understand the complaints if Rockstar ever pretended Red Dead Redemption was an accurate retelling of events or depiction of the setting, but this has never been the case.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
It would likely also make a (large?) part of the audience uncomfortable, not ideal for an escapist medium.

There's also no "Dastardly 2" in the game, afaik.

sullynathan

Arcane
I've finally beat the game. Overall it was an enjoyable experience especially if you cared for the characters within the gang. The slow decline of the van der Linde gang was done quite well and Arthur's death was quite sad. The ending of the epilogue doesn't hit as hard due to Dutch just killing micah and then walking away. Seems he should've done that years ago.

The epilogue was quite boring purely from a gameplay perspective. There's a lot of working, horse riding and building buildings that isn't interesting or fun. Just chores in general but it's framed in a way to show what John did for years leading into red dead redemption over a span of over a dozen missions.

After beating it I went back to read dead redemption. I 100% completed that game so I was already in Blackwater.

First thing I see is that RDR looks like shit in comparison to RDR2. Lower resolution than 720p in comparison to RDR2's near 4K. Constant pop in and worse draw distance. It just looks really blurry.

On the other hand the gun combat is, dare I say, much better. Shorter & less animations, faster movement + more responsive controls, less health on jack and less enemies to fight at a time means combat begins and ends even quicker than RDR2.

There were much much more bounties in general so there was always some gang to kill

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Flaby fat fag sterling being incesed at Rockstars's social control policies is a joke he'd be first in line to wack all the female disrespekters

Swigen

Arbiter
Favorite part was the dude who was asked to sit on another dude’s lap then complained about being groped. Maybe don’t sit on dude’s laps, faggot.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Rockstar is going to announce a game for Stadia.

tumblr_n7qtp7uhSf1rv1ckao1_500.gif

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/so...ersion_appears_in_rockstar_social_club_code/1

Red Dead Redemption 2's PC version appears in Rockstar Social Club Code
More evidence of a PC version of Rockstar Games' Red Dead Redemption 2 is continuing to mount, with Twitter user JakoMako 51 uncovering references to the game's PC release in the latest update for Rockstar's Social Club.

Within this code, "RDR2_PC_Accomplishments" is available for all to see, which suggests that a PC version of the game is in the works. Sadly, this leak doesn't give us any timeframe for the game's eventual release. Grand Theft Auto V released on PC two years after the game's console launch, long after the game released on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

With Grand Theft Auto V releasing on PC after the game's next-generation versions on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, it is possible that Red Dead Redemption 2 will also see a PC release after the launch on PlayStation 5 and Xbox "Project Scarlett" next year. This way, Rockstar can ensure that the PC version of the game includes all features of the title's hypothetical next-generation console versions.

A PC release seems like a logical step for Rockstar, bringing access to their game to a wider audience and enable owners of high-spec hardware to play the title at higher framerates and with higher levels of graphical fidelity.

In a recent interview, Take-Two's CEO stated that there is "no downside" to releasing Red Dead Redemption 2 on PC.

You can join the discussion on Red Dead Redemption 2's upcoming PC version on the OC3D Forums.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
"Coming in on a wing and a prayer..."

https://www.techradar.com/news/red-...s-console-versions-with-rumored-dx12-graphics
Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC could embarrass console versions with rumored DX12 graphics
And now, as spotted by DSO Gaming, a member of GTAforums going by the name of ‘rollschuh2282’ has highlighted some new findings from the app.

While it appeared that a lot of these discoveries were simply leftover bits from GTA V at first, the moderator who chipped in on the thread, ‘Spider-Vice’, subsequently noted that there are some interesting findings here, different to what has previously been unearthed – and indeed some previously spotted options are now missing.

The new material includes a reference to DirectX Feature Set 12_1, pointing to support for DX12 for Red Dead Redemption 2. There’s also an ‘ultra’ detail level preset for graphics options (unlike GTA V), which is interesting to see, and we can hope that all this points to a visually compelling outing on the PC that might just put the console versions to shame.

There are other minor bits and pieces too, such as graphic options becoming sliders (again different to GTA V).

Pass the salt...

Of course, we have to take all this with a copious pinch of salt, and indeed it could all mean absolutely nothing – but the evidence of the existence of a PC port of RDR 2 is stacking up now.

As well as the aforementioned early finds, a recent leak from the beginning of July came from Rockstar Games’ Social Club source code, and it mentioned ‘RDR2_PC_Accomplishments’.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom