Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you buy my RPG?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date
Lost me at "first person exploration that zooms out to third person in combat"

Actually DavidBVal is doing this with his game and it is looking intriguing but yet to see how it goes (and critically it's not single character)

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
There's a reason why so many indie developers still use isometric perspective. Please don't throw your friends' money down the drain.

purpleblob

Savant
If I were to make a Morrowind-inspired RPG, with RTWP combat, first person exploration that zooms out to third person in combat, with elements of newer RPGs too, like emergent gameplay of Kenshi with survival elements of Outward, would you buy it?

First person mode tend to give me a lot of motion sickness so I'm not sure. Also, I know you are big on survival elements, I'm not too keen with it :(

Jamma

Novice
Your design is problematic, because it combines first person and third person.

I understand why, but it doesn't work. So Morrowing plays best as a first person game, because it's exploration oriented. And RTWP plays best for multiple characters so you can manage them all at once.

Problems:
Can you imagine exploring the world in first person with 3-4 characters following you around? Want to get stuck in doors much and never feel alone? No stealth, because you're always a crowd? Any good games that implemented it well? I know of none.

Wizardry 8. First person exploration with a party, where all characters act like a blob that doesn't really exist when it comes to movement and stealth. It works really well.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Sorry, but you making a game or salad from all things that you discovered while cleaning your house? If you trying to compile different ideas from different games, at least don't throw names around and try at least bring something original, besides reverse engineered ideas. It's RPG Codex, not all people here will mindlessly buy your game "cuz inspired and shit". If you trying to "check ground" for your idea, at least think it through, ffs.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
with RTWP combat
No. Hell, no. Can we fucking stop with this shit? There was so many RTWP games, market over bloated. Not to mention that RWTP games sells only because it's "just like BG" clones, if you will do a game with RTWP combat and without anything that will interest D&D nerds - your game will be doomed.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
If you have never built a piece of software before, your chances of success in coordinating a small team to create a complex RPG are exactly zero. Can you tell a good programmer from a bad one? Can you say if they work quickly or slowly? If their code is modular and reusable enough? What kind of management decisions can you make if you don't know these things?

I am not trying to discourage you, I advise you to begin learning the skills required to be able to start making such a game in maybe 10 years.

Teaching yourself to be a decent programmer is something that millions of people on this planet have achieved. Becoming a pure "ideas man" is something that, to my knowledge, hasn't happened yet. Learn to code, make something small by yourself, then decide about your next step.

The perspective-change is indeed awesome, it's what I am doing in my game, but it is a very big challenge and not just in coding, be warned. I am doing it being aware of the risk it brings to a project, and the extra work, but if you don't fully grasp what it entails, you're basically following the recipe of disaster.

Prime Junta

Sounds like a mishmash of contradictory ideas unlikely to lead anywhere interesting.

:keepmyjewgold:

I salute you for having the balls to pitch this here, with no experience, no idea of what you're doing, and a completely unrealistic budget. If anything, that is Codexian. Godspeed, you maniac. :obviously:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I love Morrowind-style first person exploration, but RTwP combat is my least favorite combat system, especially if it's round-based (true real-time with pause like in 7.62 High Calibre is ok though). A lot of people will be put off by that combat system being tacked onto a first person RPG.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Make a turn-based blobber or make an isometric RTWP. Don't try to make Kenshi. You will feature creep yourself into bankruptcy and a half-finished product.

Loostreaks

Learned
DO IT.
This has all the makings of highly entertaining clusterfuck. Hire that guy that did Grimoire: he only works for 2 cents/hour and it takes him about 20 years to finish the game.

vazha

Arcane
I d not even pirate anything you'd ever make, Fluent
I ll tell you what I might pay for though: your written, legally binding consent not to post or do any of those shitty vidya lps of yours again.
If you can set this up as kickstarter campaign, patreon, or petition, I will definitely back it.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Mh not a bit interested in a yet another first person RPG. The market will be flooded by them really soon and i would love to have character customization.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom