Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Finished PS:T (yep another one of those)

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I will not go over the great parts of the game since they were mentioned ad nauseum.

__

DnD alignments are only slightly better than your classic good vs evil bioware bullshit. (At least in this game)

Instead of having an unrelatable LUL I KILL THINGS CAUSE LUL evil character, you now have an addition of equally shallow:
Neutral: enlightened centrists
Chaotic: LUL I LIKE TO BREAK THINGS LUL

Adding more retarded alignments does not add depth.

__

I used to think Lore autism was only of the Tolkien kind, where you are forced to read a dry history book about a race that doesn't even exist. Apparently there is also the surreal lore autism kind. The kind that makes the world so fucking autistically unbelievable that it is hard to relate or take seriously. It is kind of like reading alice in wonderland without the witty humor.

The only thing I *KNOW* from opening yet another circle of pseudo intellectual zerthimon, is that I really hope it is the last one. Nope, of course some secret bullshit has to happen that makes you regret putting so many points into int.

__

There is holding your hand and then there is finishing quests through endless trial and error talking to every piece of junk in your inventory. Oh and btw, apparently only nameless one can talk to the items, that is if you are lucky the game didn't just randomly drop them during questing.

__

This is the worst and best game I have ever played.

I'm not sure why you considered chaotic choices as amounting only to "breaking things". In PS:T you get to lie in meaningful ways all of the time. The evil choices are also highly nuanced. In my first play through I wound up with a Chaotic Evil alignment despite acting in a mostly benevolent manner, because I had a habit of making bargains with evil entities. You're also out of your mind if you didn't like Dak'kon and the Unbroken Circles of Zerthimon. I also can't think of any lore dumps that a forced. Any NPC that gives one only does so when asked. Also, while the setting is definitely alienating--that's a good thing. You're playing as an amnesiac trying to find their bearings. Making the player feel out of place in a strange land enhances that experience.

What's craziest about your post, is that of all the things to dump on in P:ST, you chose these above things over the combat. Total edgelord.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
I'm not sure why you considered chaotic choices as amounting only to "breaking things". In PS:T you get to lie in meaningful ways all of the time. The evil choices are also highly nuanced. In my first play through I wound up with a Chaotic Evil alignment despite acting in a mostly benevolent manner, because I had a habit of making bargains with evil entities. You're also out of your mind if you didn't like Dak'kon and the Unbroken Circles of Zerthimon. I also can't think of any lore dumps that a forced. Any NPC that gives one only does so when asked. Also, while the setting is definitely alienating--that's a good thing. You're playing as an amnesiac trying to find their bearings. Making the player feel out of place in a strange land enhances that experience.

What's craziest about your post, is that of all the things to dump on in P:ST, you chose these above things over the combat. Total edgelord.

Literally the first sentence I wrote says "I will not go over the great parts of the game since they were mentioned ad nauseum." I don't want to complain about obvious shit either.

Nameless one yea but a number of chaotic characters make no sense.

The most obvious example is Coaxmetal.

from https://torment.fandom.com/wiki/Coaxmetal:
"If asked, Coaxmetal explains it was once just a collection of metal weaponry, "MINOR EXPRESSIONS OF PAIN". Only after "ENTROPY" melted them down and forged them into its body was Coaxmetal born, created for the sole purpose of coaxing the potential for causing pain from metal by forging it into weapons, hence the name. The tower it's built within is an extra-dimensional siege engine. It constantly anchors itself to a new plane and opens its bridge, tearing a hole in the plane allowing the invading legions within to travel from the bridge to the plane. The legions then lay siege to the plane, and the tower waits there until the plane "HAS SERVED ENTROPY'S PURPOSE", then anchors itself to another plane. Coaxmetal says of the legions of the tower and the planes they visited that "ENTROPY HAS UNMADE THEM". At some point, the Siege Tower was brought to and became trapped in the city of Sigil, often called the Cage, the only one the tower cannot breach. The "DREAMBUILDER" Nihil Xander once convinced it to build a heavy, decorated, iron-wrought birdcage, despite its disdain for such confines, promising its imprisonment would soon end once the cage left its possession. Coaxmetal knows of the existence of a "PLANAR CUBE" that can free it from its imprisonment, and longs to acquire the cube so that it may once again be free to fulfill its purpose."

Like how someone can read this and not think "pseudo intellectual diarrhea" is beyond me.

There is enough metaphysical drivel to make Deepak Chopra jealous. Philosophy for dummies + new age + eastern religions + acid trip = apparently best writing ever according to codex. Okay...

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
Well, it's the self description of a rusting, inactive, machine for war, not an author or a bard, so yeah, "pseudo intellectual" sound like fakey alright~

EDIT: what? Of course it is. If you accuse other characters of that crime I can probabbly argue back. But well, Coaxmetal is coaxmetal. he's totally not born and designed to thundering grandeur phrases such as those. So he sounds fakey as fuck.

Last edited:
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
That paragraph doesn't strike my as trying particularly hard to be intellectual; it's taking a concept, Entropy, and running with it. Entropy isn't THAT complicated or highbrow. The writing is having fun, it's not being intellectual or pseudo-intellectual.

Incendax

Augur
The fascinating thing about Planescape is that sincere belief has power. Including sincere belief in total bullshit. Get a bunch of people together who believe the same bullshit, watch them get powers that reinforce the rightness of their bullshit, and it becomes a cosmic circlejerk.

Somewhere the Lady of Pain is laughing.

Where are they, Cotytto or Venus,
Astarte or Ashtaroth, where?
Do their hands as we touch come between us?
Is the breath of them hot in thy hair?
From their lips have thy lips taken fever,
With the blood of their bodies grown red?
Hast thou left upon earth a believer
If these men are dead?

They were purple of raiment and golden,
Filled full of thee, fiery with wine,
Thy lovers, in haunts unbeholden,
In marvellous chambers of thine.
They are fled, and their footprints escape us,
Who appraise thee, adore, and abstain,
O daughter of Death and Priapus,
Our Lady of Pain.

NatureOfMan

Educated
What else should the Chaotic alignment portray other than breaking vows, lying, doing random retarded shit and pissing on the law? I think that most things who shift your alignment to Chaos are pretty reasonable for the alignment.

Neutral is pretty much supposed to be the enlightened and euphoric alignment, how can you portray neutrality in a different way?

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
What else should the Chaotic alignment portray other than breaking vows, lying, doing random retarded shit and pissing on the law? I think that most things who shift your alignment to Chaos are pretty reasonable for the alignment.

Neutral is pretty much supposed to be the enlightened and euphoric alignment, how can you portray neutrality in a different way?

How about don't use personality archetypes developed for tabletop gameplay reasons that were never intended as a narrative tool?

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
KNOW that the Circle of Zerthimon is one of the best moments in the game.
Nah. Dak'kon is the most overrated Torment character, his walls of text were unbearable. I was entirely happy to leave him in that maze place and replace him with Nordom.

Coaxmetal might be overwrought when taken out of context of the setting. But you're playing at the literal center of the multiverse, in an existence where concepts and morality have literal presence and metaphysical power. Taking a portal to a layer of Hell and speaking with a pillar of disembodied undead skulls is fine, but a sentient war machine is too much? Coaxmetal is basically a nihilistic Tachikoma from Ghost in the Shell. Also, how else should a conscious engine of destruction speak other than grandiose? "Eh, Chap. How about a spot of tea while you peruse my wares of doom?"

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Coaxmetal might be overwrought when taken out of context of the setting. But you're playing at the literal center of the multiverse, in an existence where concepts and morality have literal presence and metaphysical power. Taking a portal to a layer of Hell and speaking with a pillar of disembodied undead skulls is fine, but a sentient war machine is too much? Coaxmetal is basically a nihilistic Tachikoma from Ghost in the Shell. Also, how else should a conscious engine of destruction speak other than grandiose? "Eh, Chap. How about a spot of tea while you peruse my wares of doom?"

It isn't about him being grandiose. It is about the choice of metaphysics being too surreal to be interesting. There is suspension of disbelief and then there is what the fuck was the writer smoking. The game needed a sanity pass. The best way to go about surreal atmosphere is the mystery route. A no explanation left to imagination is better then some bullshit mumbo jumbo with no rhyme or reason.

The problem with bullshit metaphysics is that instead of just enjoying interesting art and wonder, you are forced to filter what you are seeing through analytic mind, which ruins the whole experience simply because it makes no sense. Bullshit explanation can ironically make something unbelievable even less believable.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom