Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

edgy, violent games (mostly shooters)

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
I have to disagree with putting Postal 2 as being more edgy than Postal. Sure it may have more graphic depictions of gore, but the comic tone is so exaggerated that it is hard to take any of it seriously. On the other hand the humor in Postal is very dry, and it comes across as more of an edgy, demented nightmare than the slapstick sequel.

Martyr

Arcane
why the fuck didn't I get notifications on my own thread?? multiple posts here which I haven't read.

just went here to post that I had forgotten to mention Clive Barker's Jericho, which I just discovered in one of my DVD shelves.

0000002928.1024x768.jpg

clive-barkers-jericho-4_1201544.jpg

sumeria_boss_enlil_inanna_1.jpg

ManaJunkie nice find! I remember hearing Chiller get mentioned in the mid-late 2000s and searching for it on the internet, yet never finding it. instead I found "The Torture Game". they look kind of similar.

Ismaul I've only played Hitman 1-3, bought Blood Money on gog. Hitman: Contracts was my favorite of the 3, by far. the whole game was pretty grim and especially the level with the meat king and something with a mental asylum have been stuck in my head since. I might actually have to replay Contracts now. :?

Love

Cipher
You get to do some gory stuff with the humans in the Alien versus Predator games. Then you might want to check out "Requiem: Avenging Angel" and "Judge Dredd: Dredd vs. Death", if they have enough of what you seek.

sullynathan

Arcane
Ninja gaiden 2: The way the animation is done gives so many good shots of dismembering enemies in an egregious manner.

Prototype: Far from the most graphically impressive game, but lots of gore in open world.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Rogue Warrior. Pretty edgy haha

I played that some time last year, it was amusing mainly because of the absurdity of the main character, but overall it is kinda broken (although not as broken as Shellshock 2 by the same developer who probably made both games at the same time considering the short time between their release). I'd only recommend it if you like the game equivalent of low budget trashy b movies (i'm not sure about its real budget, but everything in the game looks like it was made the cheapest way possible). It is also very short, which is a plus in this case.

Fear and Hunger, doesn't get much "edgier" than that. It plays like a jrpg\dungeon crawler but in a grimdark setting with nudity, dismemberment and all that kind of stuff. Pretty obscure as well.

Shadows of the damned is also quite gory, although it mixes it up with comedic elements so it's not overly dark.

Demonophobia was mentioned already - Xenophobia and Garden of Grotesque are on the same vein.

Splatter Beach and Splatter School.

Was Phantasmagoria mentioned already?

Cosmology of Kyoto has some very realistic depictions of the damned being tortured in a Buddhist version of hell.

There are also some really messed up visual novels out there but I don't think that's the focus of this thread.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
The original Manhunt port for PC actually made me queasy in some parts, especially the sounds of a steel wire garrote slowly slicing through a man's neck until his head was severed. Outrageously gruesome.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Just FYI, Postal, Postal Redux, Postal 2 + XP are on sale on Steam, for 1$ or less each.

Also the Darkness is around 5$ (80% off).

Seethe

Arbiter
Verdun. Too bad the game's dead. Normies prefer call-o-doody and battlefield

mck

Cipher
Verdun. Too bad the game's dead. Normies prefer call-o-doody and battlefield

is it really dead though? it's the kind of thing that's gonna appeal to a more niche audience anyway and I rarely have any trouble finding a populated game.

sser

Arcane
Developer
The original Manhunt port for PC actually made me queasy in some parts, especially the sounds of a steel wire garrote slowly slicing through a man's neck until his head was severed. Outrageously gruesome.

The game literally larp'd as a snuff film cutscene bonanza. Like when you killed someone it cut to grainy VHS-style footage, and you could also hold the button to determine how violent a demise it was.

Also, The Punisher was similar. A PS2 game which was a surprisingly fun shooter, but also had 'torture' elements that were apparently censored in some countries.

schru

Arcane
It looks like a better sequel to F.E.A.R. than the actual games were, minus the scares, of course.

Absinthe

Arcane
Grand Theft Auto 1 & 2 (Fuck if I know what to call this, but these ones are 2D top-down graphics.)
Carmageddon (Car racing game, obviously)
American McGee's Alice (Third-Person Shooter)
DUSK (Retro FPS, actual retro, not fake garbage "retro" - seems to be a fusion of Quake+Hexen+Doom, but it's steamshit only and it runs on the Unity engine for some daft reason)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom