Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Outer Worlds to launch on the Epic Games Store and Microsoft Store, only coming to Steam in 2020

Benthran

Novice
How to get your positive reputation destroyed in one day 101.

Seriously, what were they thinking?

Whipped Cream

Learned
Patron
Totally new Youtube user made the video.... Which employee from Obsidian is that? Nice way to go around the NDA :D

I know you're joking, but just to clarify: I don't work for Obsidian. I made a new user because I didn't want the video to be associated with my Google account for complex reasons.

In general the publisher of a game decides how, where and when it will be published. The developers technically have no say in the matter. Of course, in a wellfunctioning publisher-developer relationship the publisher will take the preferences of the developer into account when making these decisions, but my guess is that in this case the decision was made unilaterally by Take-Two. The only thing someone like Feargus could have done would have been to protest more loudly and try to convince them to change their mind, which I suppose you could fault him for failing at, but I very much doubt that it was his decision in the end.

The rumors that I've heard from someone who knows someone inside the company (in other words take what I'm about to say with a huge grain of salt) is that the devs were told a week before the announcement that the game would be an Epic Store exclusive and they were very upset. Obsidian contacted Microsoft, who had their lawyers look up and down the contract with Take-Two and they found that what Take-Two did was perfectly legal, but Microsoft flexed enough muscles with Take-Two for the agreement to quickly be amended to the game being an Epic and Windows Store exclusive, which was probably fine by Epic, since they are after Steam not the shitty Windows store that noone uses. Also the amount that Epic gave Take-Two was apparently a lot less then the 25 million dollars they are rumored to have guaranteed to Deep Silver for Metro Exodus and the money was pocketed directly by Take-Two. The former suprises me because if I were to guess I'd say that that Take-Two would need more than 25 million to ultimately profit from this deal, because the loss in PC sales is going to be quite large, probably something like 30-40% in week one sales (I'm ballparking here), although they will make some of that back when it releases on Steam a year later, probably at full price.

By the way, I posted the Hitler video to the Outer Worlds subreddit before I posted it here, but the mods deleted my post and made it dissapear up the memoryhole (Which is fine I guess, since the sub has a rule about no meme content being allowed). The mods probably took one look at the word "Hitler" and were like "Nope, don't want none of that shit here". Luckily no vitirol is too ascidic for the Codex.

Last edited:

Whipped Cream

Learned
Patron
I like how Todd Howard is Stalin in this version.

Its kind of ironic though, because I suspect that Todd Howard is more of a "yeah whatever" type of project leader rather than the dictatorial type.

Emil Pagliarulo: Hi, for Fallout 4 I want there to be exactly four conversation options at every single branching point in a conversation.
Todd Howard: Uhh, why?
Emil Pagliarulo: Cause there are four buttons a controller! Genius right!?
Authoritarian Todd Howard: Thats dumb. We're not doing that.
Actual Todd Howard: Yeah, whatever. Do what you want.

Zenimax: Hi, we want you to put microtransactions in Skyrim and Fallout 4.
Todd Howard with a spine: But our entire fanbase is built around modding! They will slaughter us!
Actual Todd Howard: Ok boss. Will do.

Zenimax: Hi, we want Fallout 76 out in time for christmas 2018.
Todd Howard with a spine: Dude, the game is nowhere near finished. We need more time.

I suspect this is the reason why he has kept his position so long.

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like how Todd Howard is Stalin in this version.

Its kind of ironic though, because I suspect that Todd Howard is more of a "yeah whatever" type of project leader rather than the dictatorial type.

Emil Pagliarulo: Hi, for Fallout 4 I want there to be exactly four conversation options at every single branching point in a conversation.
Todd Howard: Uhh, why?
Emil Pagliarulo: Cause there are four buttons a controller! Genius right!?
Authoritarian Todd Howard: Thats dumb. We're not doing that.
Actual Todd Howard: Yeah, whatever. Do what you want.

Zenimax: Hi, we want you to put microtransactions in Skyrim and Fallout 4.
Todd Howard with a spine: But our entire fanbase is built around modding! They will slaughter us!

Zenimax: Hi, we want Fallout 76 out in time for christmas 2018.
Todd Howard with a spine: Dude, the game is nowhere near finished. We need more time.

I suspect this is the reason why he has kept his position so long.

Or perhaps he's a dictator, because he needs to apply such stupid ideas like the four-buttons one; I mean there must have been devs who spoke up and said it was stupid, no?

Whipped Cream

Learned
Patron
Or perhaps he's a dictator, because he needs to apply such stupid ideas like the four-buttons one; I mean there must have been devs who spoke up and said it was stupid, no?

At 27:25 in the presentation below Emil Pagliarulo, lead writer and lead designer on Fallout 4, jokingly says that the other designers wanted to kill him because of how difficult it was to work with the dialogue system in that game, which suggests that 1. He was the person (or at least one of the persons) who was primarily responsible for it and 2. You are correct in that some people at Bethesda were vocal about really disliking it, but they were overruled.

By the way, to anyone who still has the slightest hope that Starfield or Elder Scrolls VI will have decent writing: Don't watch the entire presentation. It will snuff out the last ember of hope in your heart. I don't think that Emil Pagliarulo is a bad person or anything. I'm shure he's nice a nice guy in real life, but he's an awful writer and I don't think that he should work as a writer for the same reason that I think that it would be a terrible idea for me to be a car mechanic or a brain surgeon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom