Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware RPGs where NPCs do their own thing.

Codex Year of the Donut
Like Radiant AI except not shit.
It could be NPCs that are managed by the player and go off and do their own thing, NPCs interacting with each other, or just NPCs living their life. I want you to list games where NPCs don't stand around and wait for the player to interact with them.

• Kenshi
  • Mount and Blade

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
Wizardry 7: Crusaders of the Dark Savant, of course.

It doesn't get better than independent acting NPCs roaming around the game world with their own agendas, fighting each other, and competing with the player's party to obtain fragmented map pieces.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Ultima 7 is still the best, by far, at having a living world. When the Banes kill everyone and seeing an empty world was really something.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Like Radiant AI except not shit.

I dunno. I kind of liked Radiant AI and how I'd lure a massive troll into a town of peaceful citizens doing their own Radiant thing, and enjoying the view of all the corpses littering the ground after the troll did his Radiant thing. There really wasn't anything quite like it in the RPGs I'd played up until then

Swigen

Arbiter
My vote goes to Olivier from Trails in the Sky. He was surrounded by people telling him “ya can’t do this or don’t do that” but he never let it get him down and his indomitable spirit always shined through enabling him to continue “doing his own thing”.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oblivion in which you were NPC send out to do quest for real protagonist and player character Martin Septim. Seriously the game was Hilarius; every-time some poor beggar stolen apple the guards would go berserk, execute him and half of time start to fight other guards and slaughter the population. Those I call the iron moral code and superior moral strength:

There's strong, and then there's ' Legion soldier ' strong.... So strong our punny NPC was not allowed to join.

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
Depths of Peril had NPCs doing quests and competing with you, basically.

(STALKER fits here too I guess but not really an RPG).

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
All of Piranha Bytes' games have a living world with NPCs having an extensive schedule (Gothics especially). Animals and hunters hunt, merchants travel, people go to work and come back, guards defend the camp / village, etc. But I don't think there are times where the world state changes on its own, or that timed events happen if you don't do anything (maybe in G3, I haven't played it).

One game does it though: Space Rangers. The world goes on independently of your actions. NPCs do their thing, trade, respond to economic crises, attack the invading enemies, gain levels, gear up, make and break alliances, etc. Enemies advance, take over planets and solar systems, get pushed back, etc. Technology levels in the universe increase in contact with the more technologically advanced enemy, and you can participate to accelerate the research.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm currently playing Risen 3 and when I showed up to a ruin there was a mage there fighting the enemies already. After they were all dead he resumed his path to a certain point on the map, where he asked me to help him with an experiment. I thought that was a good example of "radiant AI," as I assume if I arrived later he would have been at his destination already, and I would have had to fight those enemies alone.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Oblivion was quite innovative to me with things I'd never seen before in RPGs (though they did exist previously... I just hadn't played those games). Imagine my surprise when I'd go into a dungeon and find all the treasure chests plundered by another adventuring party that was still in the dungeon and that you had a choice to either fight or say FUCK YOU! to and walk away. I remember encountering a party of half-orcs like this and rather than being annoyed that my booty was commandeered I would smile because, love it or hate it (Radiant AI), it was an example of NPCs "doing their own thing" and made the world feel alive and not just a bunch of "static NPCs" literally standing around 24/7 in the same spot waiting for their dialogue scripts to be triggered (which is one of the single most immersion-breaking things in RPGs that almost all the classic ones are guilty of). Later in the game, a female half-orc (voiced by Lynda Carter) says something snide to me then slowly walks off onto a path out of the area, and if you followed her, it led to a huge free-for-all battle. It was all very new to me and very charming.

Oblivion was quite innovative to me with things I'd never seen before in RPGs (though they did exist previously... I just hadn't played those games). Imagine my surprise when I'd go into a dungeon and find all the treasure chests plundered by another adventuring party that was still in the dungeon and that you had a choice to either fight or say FUCK YOU! to and walk away. I remember encountering a party of half-orcs like this and rather than being annoyed that my booty was commandeered I would smile because, love it or hate it (Radiant AI), it was an example of NPCs "doing their own thing" and made the world feel alive and not just a bunch of "static NPCs" literally standing around 24/7 in the same spot waiting for their dialogue scripts to be triggered (which is one of the single most immersion-breaking things in RPGs that almost all the classic ones are guilty of). Later in the game, a female half-orc (voiced by Lynda Carter) says something snide to me then slowly walks off onto a path out of the area, and if you followed her, it led to a huge free-for-all battle. It was all very new to me and very charming.

I am pretty sure that was either a one-off scripted event or two, if not a mod straight. Oblivion had no such free-roaming AI feature.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

I am pretty sure that was either a one-off scripted event or two, of not a mod straight. Oblivion had no such free-roaming AI feature.

It might very well have been (at least the female half orc part) but I distinctly remember encountering looted treasure chests long before I met those other adventurers in the dungeons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom