Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Vigilantes: neo-noir, turn based tactical RPG

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
I liked the game at first, but felt that it blew its load too early. There is not enough variation in the missions and you are just grinding to build up experience for your team and for the shop so that you can deal with the gang strongholds.

The scripted events and conversations were nice and I hoped to see more of that stuff since its what gave the game its early character. But as the game progressed it was just grind, grind, grind.
I knew the combat focus would limit the appeal of the game for some, and did as much as possible to add variation to the game loop. In the end, it seemed better to focus on a couple of areas and do them as well as possible, rather than do loads of things poorly, or just not finish the game.

I'd expect to both improve combat, and make it less of an emphasis in the next game. It's really early days, but the aim is to develop a full blooded RPG.

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Burnout sucks, man.

Yep. Seems possible to manage it to some extent, but it's part of the deal. Do you find it gets worse the longer you're working on the same project?
There's a reason you'll often see indie/hobby devs juggle multiple projects.

Like MRY, who's taking a break from fallen gods to work on Strangeland? (but video games aren't his main job, so it might be different)

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Burnout sucks, man.

Yep. Seems possible to manage it to some extent, but it's part of the deal. Do you find it gets worse the longer you're working on the same project?
There's a reason you'll often see indie/hobby devs juggle multiple projects.

Like MRY, who's taking a break from fallen gods to work on Strangeland (but video games aren't his main job, so it might be different).
I am very susceptible to burnout, existential despair, and the desire to find the thrill of a new project. But that's actually not what's going on in this case. It's more that my buddies from Primordia wanted to make an adventure game (Strangeland) and I thought (naively) that it would be no big deal to juggle it and FG (which has a different team) at the same time. SL derailed my work on FG mostly because my day job got so busy I could only focus on one, and if I didn't push on SL, it would fall apart. On FG, I have a really extraordinary right-hand man (Maciej Bogucki) who can run it in my absence.

ushas

Savant
Apparently there is something called erosion of engagement, which, heh, sounds like some dating issue.

Juggling sounds neat. On the other hand, working on something while having several long term projects un-concluded isn't really stress free in my experience. I guess it helps to get things done time to time, bonus points for success.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Burnout sucks, man.

It was a slog during the last three weeks before release. After 1.0.5a and initial drafts for the addon (which were pretty meh) I did have to take a pretty long break to clear my head.

Now I keep DG2 and Phantom 3D as separate projects that I can switch to whenever hit a roadblock in the addon and need to do something else while figuring out how to get past it.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
I am very susceptible to burnout, existential despair, and the desire to find the thrill of a new project. But that's actually not what's going on in this case. It's more that my buddies from Primordia wanted to make an adventure game (Strangeland) and I thought (naively) that it would be no big deal to juggle it and FG (which has a different team) at the same time. SL derailed my work on FG mostly because my day job got so busy I could only focus on one, and if I didn't push on SL, it would fall apart. On FG, I have a really extraordinary right-hand man (Maciej Bogucki) who can run it in my absence.

Tough going. I'm wary of the new project thrill, feels like my brain is being sneaky and trying to avoid the difficulties of the present situation. Are you getting close to release with either?

Last edited:

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
On the other hand, working on something while having several long term projects un-concluded isn't really stress free in my experience. I guess it helps to get things done time to time, bonus points for success.

Guess it works differently for some, but I'd be in the same camp. One game at a time until it's over the line. Would take notes on new idea, but won't write a single line of code until the current game is at a point where no further work is required.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
but won't write a single line of code until the current game is at a point where no further work is required
Guess it works differently for other people, because I wrote the improved line editor that was eventually added to DG while doing having a short break from the project during the New Year holidays, which saved a shitton of time later down the road.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Side projects help, in my experience. When you have a day where nothing will progress in your main project even though you try to come up with something all day long, just lay it aside for a few hours and work on something else. It might even bring some inspiration for the main project while you're at it.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer

Tough going. I'm wary of the new project thrill, feels like my brain is being sneaky and trying to avoid the difficulties of the present situation. Are you getting close to release with either?
Not particularly. It'll happen though! :)

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I wish you well but someone should make me a game. Tired of playing ones that don't do the right things.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Any hints what sort of theme it will have?

With a profile picture like that, how can I say no :) It's very early to talk much about it yet (there's nothing much more than an idea) but genre wise it would be a combination of post apocalyptic and cyberpunk. The intention is to have 3 acts, with each act offering a big shift in setting and tone.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I wish you well but someone should make me a game. Tired of playing ones that don't do the right things.

If you have a list of stuff you think RPGs get wrong / should do better, I'm all eyes.
1. All characters should be romanceable, including the main baddie.
2. You should be able to beat the game by catching HIV and sleeping the the main bad guy.
3. Penis, titties and butt size should be separate stats and affect your playthrough in some way.
4. You must be able to hire Lithuanian hitmen to do important quests for you so you can focus on more important things in an RPG -- like romances.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
If you have a list of stuff you think RPGs get wrong / should do better, I'm all eyes.

An efficient engine not trying to go for useless and harmful visual effects is a good start.

Better to focus on working efficient mechanism enjoyable for the player rather than adding tons of features which aren't working very well (thinking about some AAA recent crap here)

Just a reminder, after playing Vigilantes, i'm sure you're on the right tracks.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

1. All characters should be romanceable, including the main baddie.
2. You should be able to beat the game by catching HIV and sleeping the the main bad guy.
3. Penis, titties and butt size should be separate stats and affect your playthrough in some way.
4. You must be able to hire Lithuanian hitmen to do important quests for you so you can focus on more important things in an RPG -- like romances.

Being able to hire hitmen/mercenaries to do some sidequests in your stead could be an improvment in some games.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
How about a martial arts fighting game that plays like a turn based RPG. So it could look like Street Fighter but has a much better control method (I can show you), and you build up the character over time?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom