Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw - hard rock spacing sequel

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Physical, non-holographic cockpit instrumentation beats the shit out of the holo-HUDs seen in both ED and Star Citizen.

Agreed so much on this. They can shove their holographic cockpits up their cock-pits.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Where the fuck is this game, i already put my Wing Commander boxes on the Altar of Space God to speed up development process. Me want buy and me want play and shoot laserballs into enemy ships while looking into my almost like Wing Commander cockpits! Me want to paint ship and travel across the stars with obscene symbols on my space vehicle!

Norfleet

Streamers have already fallen into the same trap as legacy gaming media - their relevance (aka shekels) depends on being first-to-market with an opinion of a game, and being first means getting some kind of preferential treatment from the developer/publisher. This means shilling.

It's an inherently promiscuous relationship and makes it impossible to relay an objective opinion.
Just do what I do: Only ever listen to negative reviews. It's simple: Critical thinking requires criticism. A review devoid of criticism is therefore devoid of critical thought, and a thoughtless review is devoid of value. If you have nothing negative to say, then you have nothing of value to say. Every review, therefore, should just be the reviewer shredding the game for everything he hated about it. Then you decide whether those points are sufficient to dissuade you from the game.

Norfleet

Of course. Ask yourself: If you're having something important done, who do you want doing it? Do you want a pessimist engineer to design your bridge or an optimist? Do you want to fly in a plane designed by an optimist or one designed by a pessimist?

Norfleet

Lol, why did they make some ugly chick the protagonist, there are like zero female gamers who play this kind of games.
At least make her pretty, duh. Or customizable.
Looks like a pretty average space-trucker to me.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Travis used to have a user name on the Codex back when he was hyping Torchlight. I think it was his full name but can't remember, would ping it in the remote chance he still browses here. Anyway, fuck you and your entire family Travis, may hyenas eat your children. One year locked out of Steam and now we don't even have a fucking release date and we're almost halfway through 2019. I'll be buying this game in a Humble Bundle where I can give 100% to charity and 0% to your ass -- don't worry, bro, Epic already paid for my copy... 'ya fucking fuckster on a fuckstick.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't understand why they picked a 40year old woman as main character. Men play these games (a huge majority). Men like to play with male characters or hot chicks. Almost nobody cares to play as 40 something woman with set personality.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
I don't understand why they picked a 40year old woman as main character. Men play these games (a huge majority). Men like to play with male characters or hot chicks. Almost nobody cares to play as 40 something woman with set personality.
I don't think she is intended to be 40. Whereas Kassandra from AC Odyssey certainly comes across as that.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
I don't think she is intended to be 40. Whereas Kassandra from AC Odyssey certainly comes across as that.
the guy straight up says she's 43

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I think it's fine to have older protagonists. More realistic than all these 20-something superhero kids.
Games are not about realism though, they are about having fun. Why would I want to play an aged housewife in my space action fantasy? I can barely tolerate watching these annoying characters in modern tv series, having them in my games - thanks, but no.

Norfleet

Well, studies apparently find that female characters work better than male characters, because men are mostly indifferent about whether they play as a dude or a hot chick, while women overwhelmingly prefer playing as women. Not sure which demographic this one was aimed at, but let's be honest: The exact details of the character are almost wholly irrelevant, because nearly all of the gameplay will be spent looking at the character's spacesuited hand, and the only time you're going to encounter her as a person is in a cutscene. Since this is apparently a preestablished lore character, it fits, even if she's not "ideal marketing demographic".

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well, studies apparently find that female characters work better than male characters, because men are mostly indifferent about whether they play as a dude or a hot chick, while women overwhelmingly prefer playing as women. Not sure which demographic this one was aimed at, but let's be honest: The exact details of the character are almost wholly irrelevant, because nearly all of the gameplay will be spent looking at the character's spacesuited hand, and the only time you're going to encounter her as a person is in a cutscene. Since this is apparently a preestablished lore character, it fits, even if she's not "ideal marketing demographic".
Not true. Did you watch that video of the latest Dev stream? She keeps commenting on stuff during gameplay.

Norfleet

She keeps commenting on stuff during gameplay.
So does the Narrator in the Bard's Tale, but that doesn't mean you ever encounter him.

You're never actually going to encounter her as anything other than a cutscene participant and narrator, just like the Wing Commander Guy, where your only interaction with him outside of cutscene QTEs is as the Gloved Cockpit Hand and Radio Voice. I can't even remember what his name is, other than maybe Luke Skywalker.

GreyViper

Prophet
You're never actually going to encounter her as anything other than a cutscene participant and narrator, just like the Wing Commander Guy, where your only interaction with him outside of cutscene QTEs is as the Gloved Cockpit Hand and Radio Voice. I can't even remember what his name is, other than maybe Luke Skywalker.
Hey now Norfleet I'm disappointed, how could you forget Christopher "Bluehair Maverik" Blair.

As to the game, I'm guessing it's going to take a while before release.

Norfleet

Hey now Norfleet I'm disappointed, how could you forget Christopher "Bluehair Maverik" Blair.
I'm very old, I forget a lot of things, particularly when characters of the era weren't noteworthy for having names. Doom Guy, TIE Fighter Guy, Totally Not Luke Skywalker Guy, Privateer Guy, etc.

RickOmbo

Learned
Well, studies apparently find that female characters work better than male characters, because men are mostly indifferent about whether they play as a dude or a hot chick, while women overwhelmingly prefer playing as women.
It sure doesn't apply to rpgs and games that provide some degree of being yourself in them.

Codex Year of the Donut
Kassandra is 27 at the start of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom