Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outward - open world RPG where you are an ordinary adventurer and survival is harsh

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Well, paradoxally I think that within the confines of Outward's system there's not much room to make the cooldowns bettter. All you could do is to lower them, turning the wait into instawin button just spamming counters like masterstrikes in KCD, so in a way I get it why they put them.

Anyway, I think we're going in circles here. Sorry you didn't enjoy it more.
Meh, I still enjoy the game as a whole. As I did Gothics. It's just that in some games combat is fun to a point I'm actively provoking fights for the sake of combat system, while in Outward enemies are more like a nuisance to be removed when they become too annoying. I hated combat in Bioshock, and still completed all three. Besides exchange of arguments is always good to see other people's point of view, for instance I somewhat understand why you are still able to like it as it is.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So a few of my favourite YTers and streamers - all just as jaded and cynical as me - are p. excited about the game. Seems there is some real quality in this game. Already bought it, looking forward to playing it in a year or so, when it's actually polished, balanced and feature complete.

polo

Magister
So a few of my favourite YTers and streamers - all just as jaded and cynical as me - are p. excited about the game. Seems there is some real quality in this game. Already bought it, looking forward to playing it in a year or so, when it's actually polished, balanced and feature complete.
You should've waited for Outward 2.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Apparently PC gamer agree with some of the posters in that thread

OUTWARD REVIEW
A few rough edges don't stop this gem of an RPG from shining.
By Christopher Livingston a day ago

A game where you can never die sounds like it'd make you fearless. Why worry about failure when instead of dying in a battle you simply fall unconscious and wake up somewhere else?

It turns out the opposite is true in fantasy RPG Outward. Failure costs you something more precious than a videogame life: It costs you time. Time to heal, to rest, to repair your gear and restock your supplies, to fill your belly with food and cure your ailments with potions, to travel all the way back to the site of your defeat to try again—and possibly to fail again. Immortality is far more terrifying than death.

You can't just reload your last save when you lose a fight, because Outward constantly auto-saves your progress. Every lengthy trip across the map (there's no fast-travel or mounts), every purchase at a vendor or skill upgrade at a trainer, every decision in a questline, and every single fight, is an event that needs to be very carefully considered and prepared for. The auto-save and never-die principles of Outward are harsh, and feel punishing at times, but beyond making your failures meaningful they also make triumphs, even tiny ones, monumental.

Combine this with enjoyable survival elements and a brilliant magic system, and Outward becomes a rare gem. It's got plenty of rough edges, but it's an RPG where traditionally mundane tasks become complicated, where normally simple decisions become weighty, and where it feels like every single choice you make really matters. I love this game.

missing-image.svg

Rocky road
I also, sometimes, hate this game. Honestly, most of my stories in Outward are of failure. The time I spied a bandit in the distance and laid out several tripwire traps only to discover it was a bandit wizard who then knocked me unconscious from range with ice magic, never even getting near all my traps. The time I took off my bulky backpack to allow myself greater mobility in a fight only to realize I'd left my magic book inside it, and thus couldn't cast any of the rune spells I'd just learned. The time I walked into a castle and chatted with a chieftain who was perfectly friendly until he stripped me of my belongings and threw me into his dungeon.

I even failed my very first quest. It seemed simple: Earn 150 silver coins to buy back my house (a lighthouse, in fact), which had been repossessed by my town's leaders to repay a debt I owed. I set out to recover an unusual mushroom from a cave, hoping it'd fetch a nice price from a collector, but along the way I lost a fight to two bandits, who dragged my body back to their fort. I managed to find my gear, escape, and heal myself, but I stepped into a spike trap and lost consciousness again. This time I was dragged to safety by a mysterious benefactor, but I woke up on the far side of the map. By the time I made it back home—which took me through a fort filled with angry ghosts I was in no way prepared to handle—it was days later, and the time-sensitive quest to buy my house had expired. Now I owed 300 silver. It was nearly a week later before I even had a proper bed to sleep in.

In any other RPG I probably would have just reloaded my last save and avoided most of those headaches. Maybe I'd have fought those bandits again and won after a few tries. Maybe I'd have avoided that spike trap and made it home on time. I definitely would have skipped that damn hellish ghost fort. But while I didn't enjoy everything about the difficult trip back home, it's now a part of my character's long and troubled history of devastating failures and eventual successes, and each time I return to my lighthouse I remember everything I went through to acquire it.

missing-image.svg

Plus, I gained a long-lasting bitter grudge against those bandits, and dozens of hours later, even after having a peaceful and productive meeting with them as part of the main quest, I went back to their fort and killed every last one of them. Revenge is a dish best served without quickloading.

There are downsides to Outward's systems, too. One quest sent me searching for a hideout (bandits again) and owing to Outward having no quest arrows and not displaying your own location on the map, it took quite a lot of running around and searching based only on the vague directions I was given. While exploring an area on some cliffs, I slid down an incline and got stuck between the cliff and a rock wall. I couldn't wiggle free and remained trapped in the sliding animation. Since you can't fast travel or reload a save, there I stayed, for two real hours, hoping I'd eventually slip into unconsciousness from lack of food or drink or sleep.

It never happened: my meters all ran down to zero, but they never lowered my health, only resulting in debuffs for my stamina. Even contracting a disease from exposure (I took off my clothing when it began to rain) didn't knock me out. I eventually had to go into the game files and delete my last several autosaves, which put me back at the start of my journey to find the hideout. I don't mind losing time from a defeat in Outward, but losing real world hours from getting stuck on some world geometry was deeply frustrating.

missing-image.svg

Spellbound

Spells aren't all-powerful, but it still feels like you're doing something powerful when you master them.

Magic in Outward involves more complexity than just keeping a mana meter filled. The fireball spell, a staple of fantasy games, is essentially like throwing a lit match at someone. It's weak unless it's cast while standing in a magic circle, which is another spell that requires physical components that need to be collected and sometimes even crafted.

Once the circle is cast, the fireball becomes explosive and deadly, and the preparation required to unleash it at its fullest turns it from just a reflexive keypress into a satisfying sequence.

Spells and skills can also be used in conjunction with one another: I can cast a Warm Boon spell that allows me to cast a second spell which infuses my weapon with flames for extra damage, and then use a Gong Strike ability to bash my burning weapon against my metal shield, letting loose a shockwave of flames. Learning these skills and combos and putting them to use makes the magic feel, well, almost like science. Like something that has real rules and procedures. Spells aren't all-powerful, but it still feels like you're doing something powerful when you master them.

Like everything else in Outward, magic has a cost. Gaining the ability to cast your first wimpy fireball requires first fighting (and probably failing) your way to the center of a mountain, and then permanently sacrificing a portion of your physical health and stamina in an arcane ritual. The more powerful you want your magic to be, the weaker you'll be physically.

missing-image.svg

There's not a massive open world in Outward, but winding dungeons, hidden caves, and the relatively slow pace of travel across the four regions makes it feel bigger than it is, especially when you're just starting out. While cities are full of NPCs, there are typically only a few to talk to, pretty much just the quest-givers and merchants (who often have their own simple side-quests). The voice acting is so-so (I muted it because I'd rather read conversations as text) and the writing is generally good if fairly standard fantasy fare with the occasional jarring anachronism, such as when a king complained that one of the factions "took their sweet-ass time" preparing for a peace negotiation.

I'm ready to make a new character and play another 50 hours.

There aren't a huge number of different enemy types in the world, and once killed they'll remain dead for days, so retracing your steps across the four regions of Outward can occasionally be completely uneventful (though it can sometimes be a relief to make it from one area to the next without having to fight anything). The main quest I finished for one of the three factions wasn't terribly long in and of itself, though combined with side-quests and frequent setbacks and my hesitant exploration of the world, it took me roughly 50 hours to complete.

And I'm ready to make a new character and play another 50 hours. Unlike games such as Oblivion or Skyrim, where a single character can climb to the top of every guild or completely unlock every skill tree to become a living god, you'll need multiple characters in Outward to explore every possibility available. You're restricted from advancing completely through every skill tree (there are eight in total, and you can unlock the upper tiers of only three with the same character). This is yet another instance of your choices being weighty ones—I spent hours making multiple visits to several skill trainers, hemming and hawing, before finally deciding on which skill trees to follow—and it also opens the door to future playthroughs where you'll experience the world in a different way with a different set of skills and abilities.

missing-image.svg

You don't need to brave the harsh world of Outward alone—co-op play is available, either online or locally with split-screen, and adventuring with a friend is supremely fun (not to mention, extremely rare for a singleplayer fantasy RPG). There's a big flaw in co-op, in that only the person hosting the game will gain quest progress, but I still had a great time playing a few hours with Wes as we explored, fought, fled, divided up loot, camped out under the stars, and occasionally ran into our own failures. (You can, at least, revive a fallen companion.)

Outward's unusual design provides a different experience than I've found in most RPGs. It completely breaks the common habits of fast-traveling, gaining a fortune in loot, becoming an all-powerful god, and reloading saved games when things don't go as planned or you make a choice you regret. It makes minor setbacks feel like major obstacles to overcome and it makes small victories feel like utter triumphs. Outward is harsh and occasionally frustrating, but it does what so few games do. It requires you to put real thought into the choices you make, and it makes those choices feel like they really matter. Most of all, it makes you approach each and every encounter as if your life depended on it—even though you never die.

THE VERDICT

A few rough edges don't stop Outward from being a gem of an RPG.

They've also published a handful of positive article on Outward these last few weeks

Murk

Arcane
Heh, we didn't even get a newspost about it.

RIP.

EDIT: It has gotten a lot of (positive) attention on streaming sites/youtube, so my guess is there was some good guerrilla marketing.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Eh, finally beat this game going with the Holy Mission faction and honestly, the game is a joke. I enjoyed it at first, but the more I played the more I realized just how empty the world is and how little to do there is. There are pretty much no sidequests. Only ones I remember were the bandit fortress and the 2 parallel main mission quests if you can call those sidequests, thats it. This isn't counting the repeatable fetch quests.

The story in this game is laughable, can't bring myself to care at all about this half-assed banal universe and found myself skipping dialogue and just using the debug console to teleport my way to whichever of the three cities they want me to go to to talk to one person for 2 minutes about this absolutely uninteresting story. Then they make you walk for another 10-15 minutes to another city to do the same thing and occasionally have a shitty "dungeon" thrown into the mix every once in a while. There is no activity on the road whatsoever, only some random 'traveling merchant' who only shows up in predetermined places and says nothing and the occasional bandits at pre-determined places who are little more than an annoying road bump.

The combat is not good at all in my opinion, its just a janky discount copy of dark souls combat.

All the 'bosses' in the game are pathetically easy. Jade lich was lame, all I did was strafe around him and shoot him with runic lightning and that was it. Gold Lich was even less hard. Just lazily dodge some lightning balls and smack him. The final boss of the game was damn near dead by the time I got to him and I only got one hit in before he died.

The entire game just feels like one big unfinished proof of concept rather than an actual game. Would not recommend buying this.

Last edited:

Heretic

Cipher
So you skipped all dialogs and all survival gameplay (travelling through the wilderness), which is what apparently the game is about, and you complain the game is empty?

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
So you skipped all dialogs and all survival gameplay (travelling through the wilderness), which is what apparently the game is about, and you complain the game is empty?
I played the game the proper way for the majority of my playthrough and no where did I say 'I skipped most dialogs' or 'I skipped all survival gameplay'.

I only started getting disillusioned towards the end, when the games flaws became very apparent. The 'survival' gameplay you mention is almost non-existent, the only way you could 'die' (and you never actually die or get punished for 'dying' in any way the vast majority of the time. In fact, its usually beneficial to die as you usually get a teleport to the closest city at no cost to you at all.) is if you were completely foolish. Food is everywhere, water is everywhere, things to warm you up or cool you down are everywhere, wood is everywhere if you need to start a fire, there is no challenge in that regard. Any enemy encounters that are to hard for you to handle on the road you can easily sprint away from, nothing can catch you. It's literally just a hiking simulator for the most part, and not even a good one.

And who says there IS enough content? Everywhere I look that's a major complaint of the game, whether its here, on the steam reviews, or anywhere else. The main quest is only 7 small quests with 2 'parallel' quests. There is only 1 major 'sidequest' and that is the vendavel fortress quest. That's it for the most part, other than that its just repeatable fetch quests. The only other thing to do in this game is to explore the boring environments and do the shitty dungeons to get some loot you don't need because the game is piss easy as it is.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Apparently PC gamer agree with some of the posters in that thread

OUTWARD REVIEW
A few rough edges don't stop this gem of an RPG from shining.
By Christopher Livingston a day ago

A game where you can never die sounds like it'd make you fearless. Why worry about failure when instead of dying in a battle you simply fall unconscious and wake up somewhere else?

It turns out the opposite is true in fantasy RPG Outward. Failure costs you something more precious than a videogame life: It costs you time. Time to heal, to rest, to repair your gear and restock your supplies, to fill your belly with food and cure your ailments with potions, to travel all the way back to the site of your defeat to try again—and possibly to fail again. Immortality is far more terrifying than death.

You can't just reload your last save when you lose a fight, because Outward constantly auto-saves your progress. Every lengthy trip across the map (there's no fast-travel or mounts), every purchase at a vendor or skill upgrade at a trainer, every decision in a questline, and every single fight, is an event that needs to be very carefully considered and prepared for. The auto-save and never-die principles of Outward are harsh, and feel punishing at times, but beyond making your failures meaningful they also make triumphs, even tiny ones, monumental.

Combine this with enjoyable survival elements and a brilliant magic system, and Outward becomes a rare gem. It's got plenty of rough edges, but it's an RPG where traditionally mundane tasks become complicated, where normally simple decisions become weighty, and where it feels like every single choice you make really matters. I love this game.

missing-image.svg

Rocky road
I also, sometimes, hate this game. Honestly, most of my stories in Outward are of failure. The time I spied a bandit in the distance and laid out several tripwire traps only to discover it was a bandit wizard who then knocked me unconscious from range with ice magic, never even getting near all my traps. The time I took off my bulky backpack to allow myself greater mobility in a fight only to realize I'd left my magic book inside it, and thus couldn't cast any of the rune spells I'd just learned. The time I walked into a castle and chatted with a chieftain who was perfectly friendly until he stripped me of my belongings and threw me into his dungeon.

I even failed my very first quest. It seemed simple: Earn 150 silver coins to buy back my house (a lighthouse, in fact), which had been repossessed by my town's leaders to repay a debt I owed. I set out to recover an unusual mushroom from a cave, hoping it'd fetch a nice price from a collector, but along the way I lost a fight to two bandits, who dragged my body back to their fort. I managed to find my gear, escape, and heal myself, but I stepped into a spike trap and lost consciousness again. This time I was dragged to safety by a mysterious benefactor, but I woke up on the far side of the map. By the time I made it back home—which took me through a fort filled with angry ghosts I was in no way prepared to handle—it was days later, and the time-sensitive quest to buy my house had expired. Now I owed 300 silver. It was nearly a week later before I even had a proper bed to sleep in.

In any other RPG I probably would have just reloaded my last save and avoided most of those headaches. Maybe I'd have fought those bandits again and won after a few tries. Maybe I'd have avoided that spike trap and made it home on time. I definitely would have skipped that damn hellish ghost fort. But while I didn't enjoy everything about the difficult trip back home, it's now a part of my character's long and troubled history of devastating failures and eventual successes, and each time I return to my lighthouse I remember everything I went through to acquire it.

missing-image.svg

Plus, I gained a long-lasting bitter grudge against those bandits, and dozens of hours later, even after having a peaceful and productive meeting with them as part of the main quest, I went back to their fort and killed every last one of them. Revenge is a dish best served without quickloading.

There are downsides to Outward's systems, too. One quest sent me searching for a hideout (bandits again) and owing to Outward having no quest arrows and not displaying your own location on the map, it took quite a lot of running around and searching based only on the vague directions I was given. While exploring an area on some cliffs, I slid down an incline and got stuck between the cliff and a rock wall. I couldn't wiggle free and remained trapped in the sliding animation. Since you can't fast travel or reload a save, there I stayed, for two real hours, hoping I'd eventually slip into unconsciousness from lack of food or drink or sleep.

It never happened: my meters all ran down to zero, but they never lowered my health, only resulting in debuffs for my stamina. Even contracting a disease from exposure (I took off my clothing when it began to rain) didn't knock me out. I eventually had to go into the game files and delete my last several autosaves, which put me back at the start of my journey to find the hideout. I don't mind losing time from a defeat in Outward, but losing real world hours from getting stuck on some world geometry was deeply frustrating.

missing-image.svg

Spellbound

Spells aren't all-powerful, but it still feels like you're doing something powerful when you master them.

Magic in Outward involves more complexity than just keeping a mana meter filled. The fireball spell, a staple of fantasy games, is essentially like throwing a lit match at someone. It's weak unless it's cast while standing in a magic circle, which is another spell that requires physical components that need to be collected and sometimes even crafted.

Once the circle is cast, the fireball becomes explosive and deadly, and the preparation required to unleash it at its fullest turns it from just a reflexive keypress into a satisfying sequence.

Spells and skills can also be used in conjunction with one another: I can cast a Warm Boon spell that allows me to cast a second spell which infuses my weapon with flames for extra damage, and then use a Gong Strike ability to bash my burning weapon against my metal shield, letting loose a shockwave of flames. Learning these skills and combos and putting them to use makes the magic feel, well, almost like science. Like something that has real rules and procedures. Spells aren't all-powerful, but it still feels like you're doing something powerful when you master them.

Like everything else in Outward, magic has a cost. Gaining the ability to cast your first wimpy fireball requires first fighting (and probably failing) your way to the center of a mountain, and then permanently sacrificing a portion of your physical health and stamina in an arcane ritual. The more powerful you want your magic to be, the weaker you'll be physically.

missing-image.svg

There's not a massive open world in Outward, but winding dungeons, hidden caves, and the relatively slow pace of travel across the four regions makes it feel bigger than it is, especially when you're just starting out. While cities are full of NPCs, there are typically only a few to talk to, pretty much just the quest-givers and merchants (who often have their own simple side-quests). The voice acting is so-so (I muted it because I'd rather read conversations as text) and the writing is generally good if fairly standard fantasy fare with the occasional jarring anachronism, such as when a king complained that one of the factions "took their sweet-ass time" preparing for a peace negotiation.

I'm ready to make a new character and play another 50 hours.

There aren't a huge number of different enemy types in the world, and once killed they'll remain dead for days, so retracing your steps across the four regions of Outward can occasionally be completely uneventful (though it can sometimes be a relief to make it from one area to the next without having to fight anything). The main quest I finished for one of the three factions wasn't terribly long in and of itself, though combined with side-quests and frequent setbacks and my hesitant exploration of the world, it took me roughly 50 hours to complete.

And I'm ready to make a new character and play another 50 hours. Unlike games such as Oblivion or Skyrim, where a single character can climb to the top of every guild or completely unlock every skill tree to become a living god, you'll need multiple characters in Outward to explore every possibility available. You're restricted from advancing completely through every skill tree (there are eight in total, and you can unlock the upper tiers of only three with the same character). This is yet another instance of your choices being weighty ones—I spent hours making multiple visits to several skill trainers, hemming and hawing, before finally deciding on which skill trees to follow—and it also opens the door to future playthroughs where you'll experience the world in a different way with a different set of skills and abilities.

missing-image.svg

You don't need to brave the harsh world of Outward alone—co-op play is available, either online or locally with split-screen, and adventuring with a friend is supremely fun (not to mention, extremely rare for a singleplayer fantasy RPG). There's a big flaw in co-op, in that only the person hosting the game will gain quest progress, but I still had a great time playing a few hours with Wes as we explored, fought, fled, divided up loot, camped out under the stars, and occasionally ran into our own failures. (You can, at least, revive a fallen companion.)

Outward's unusual design provides a different experience than I've found in most RPGs. It completely breaks the common habits of fast-traveling, gaining a fortune in loot, becoming an all-powerful god, and reloading saved games when things don't go as planned or you make a choice you regret. It makes minor setbacks feel like major obstacles to overcome and it makes small victories feel like utter triumphs. Outward is harsh and occasionally frustrating, but it does what so few games do. It requires you to put real thought into the choices you make, and it makes those choices feel like they really matter. Most of all, it makes you approach each and every encounter as if your life depended on it—even though you never die.

THE VERDICT

A few rough edges don't stop Outward from being a gem of an RPG.

They've also published a handful of positive article on Outward these last few weeks
on the other hand thag ign article will give you cancer and rot yoir brain cell

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Normally I don't post in a thread unless I've read the entire thing but I only read the last five pages or so.

To me this game has a lot of potential. I'm not far out of the first town yet and have been playing co-op. It seems like my dream co-op game where I can go on adventures with a friend. Like Gothic 2 or something, not some faggotry like Oblivion or Skyrim (or Gothic 3 for that matter).

But god damnit if the interface isn't pissing me off. It almost looks like a normal PC inventory. You can actually drag'n drop wich took me awhile to figure out because I thought it operated like a consoletard game. Which it does, and doesn't.

This game has crafting, which I don't like. I'm done with ARK and Dayz and CONAN and all of those games, I can't stomache them anymore. But it has a food/health/ARMA/bleeding out system. That's all fine. Dungeon Master had food and water management. Inventory management is fine with me from Dungeon Master to Deus Ex. But I don't mind the infinite grid system of Gothic 2 either. I really like the vibe and want to go on an adventure with my buddy, which was seemless in hooking up, the networking seems very competent (you must gather your party to venture forth), no issues there.

It seems like a dream game but I don't know yet. We learned the basics in town.

My basic bitch about it is the GUI. It looks like PC game interface but doesn't really act like one. My buddy (who happens to be a consoletard) has no problems with it. I suppose I'll just get used to it. I mean, Gothic has a super clunky interface but it makes sense. This has a backpack, a pocket and a hotbar. Maybe not quite standard but makes sense, you can drag and drop, but the merchant screens are broken or not? I was trying to buy bandages and it was a hassle. Where are they?

I'm just going to say that I was so into this but it feels like I'm constantly battling against the interface. The GUI sucks big balls. Maybe it's second nature to consoletards but for me I really hate it.

The UI should be intuitive, flow and just work. I think it was designed as a PC game then converted into some controller faggotry type of thing. That's fine but for my old brain it really pisses me off. I wanted to enjoy the game and 'continue onward' as opposed to fighting against the shitty interface trying to manage my inventory. I love inventory management games, I just for the life of me haven't figured out how to use this one. It's very annoying, counter intuitive and feels like it's broken most of the time.

Anyways, despite that, I have a feeling this is going to be one of the few games of the last decade or so that I like. I had a lot of fun exploring and figuring out the mechanics in the last few hours. The networking code seems to be well designed and I hope it doesn't turn into a Diablo or modern loot shooter style of game but we'll see. I want the adventure, not the grind. And fuck that UI. It really pisses me off because it's so close then just flies under the bar into the ocean down by the docks. It's seriously fucked.

Other than the UI, we'll see how this goes. It has potential as a good buddy dungeon romp and adventure so far, which is what I crave. Only time will tell over the next week or so.

Or, maybe I'm just too old and retarded for this stupid shit.

Last edited:

Renevent

Cipher
I'm primarily a PC gamer and had zero issues with the GUI. It pretty much functions exactly as you expect it to and similar to the other dozens and dozens of RPG's I've played over the years. I'm trying to figure out where you having issues but it's not really making sense. You mention the merchant screens being broken...you literally click on the item you want, select the quantity you want to buy, and confirm your transaction. There's even hotkeys for that doesn't get any more simple.

Wysardry

Augur
Patron
I'm not as far into this game as most of you as even though I bought this on day one, I wasn't able to play it for over a week due to the GPU fan on my laptop dying.

I haven't been outside of the first map area yet, but I have enjoyed what I have seen so far. I like that the combat is challenging and that the system doesn't do everything for you. Even so, the mechanics have surprised me a few times, just when I thought I was getting used to how things worked. For example, I wasn't really prepared for how much difference snow makes to travelling outside the town.

I hope they release at least one expansion pack to add more areas to this game before they start working on the next project.

Deleted Member 16721

Yeah, I'm hoping for more areas as well. The original map they showed had 10 areas, we got 4 in the final product. I'm not complaining, but it would be sweet to see some new areas, for sure.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
i really want a full fledged sequel with improvement especially in towns and NPCS.
-Crime and Punishment system. town should be more lively and you should be able to steal, pickpocket and face the consequences. it should be also done brutally. in games like skyrim or even kingdom come deliverance crime is a bit of joke. steal? pay 100 gold and you are done. muder? pay 1000 and you are done. those are games where you can easily earn 10000 coins after several hours of playing. i think crime should be proportional of the value of you were caught with PLUS the actual fine from your crime. for example, if you stole 100 coins worth of goods, your fine should be 150 silver. the value should also added from stolen items that you hide in personal/house chest. so to get away from actual stealing, you have to hide and sell your goods in other towns or hidden caches outside the town you stole from. assault and murder should be harshly punished. assault should be fined by alot of money, while murder should bring straight to jail for like a month in-game and confiscated all your belongings (also including the one you put in your house chest. like completely erased from existence. you should put your valuables in other towns before you feel murder-y.

-Deeper dialogue system / skillchecks in dialogue. make it more RPG.

-more "big" quest chains/lines, less of the generic fetch quest. make most of the quest like the big questline you get from faction or the conqueror guys.

-small settlements, aside from the main towns in each map. also add friendly NPCs like merchants or friendly adventurer roaming the map. integrate them to the dynamic ecosystem in the game like how bandits attack wildlife or vice cersa. this create alot more dynamic system with already existing feature in the base game. caravan will travel in real time along the main road. sometimes bandit or animals will attack. sometimes the caravan guard won, sometimes the bandit won and you can dispatch the bandits to get the loot yourself. if you meet a caravan being attacked, you can save them and get reward. or you can be a caravan robber yourself. you can also put random friendly adventurer NPC that you can talk and they will share hunting/survival/location/quest tips for you. for example you meet a friendly traveler camping, they will tell you the location of nearby caches or mining veins or fruits. maybe they will tell about what's going on in other maps/towns even better if they share news for stuff you actually did. like if you murder half a town they will say there is a killer on the loose that killed people in berg or something.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I really tried hard to get into this game but couldn't able to. Dunno why exactly but I cannot stand it. Just like CreamyBlood said I thought this was a dream game for me at first...

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Spent time in the Chersonese, explored extensively in the Forest, delved into most of the Desert, returned to the Forest and completed a few loose ends, returned to the Chersonese and completed a few other loose ends, then finally proceeded into the Marsh to discover that it easily has the worst visuals and the worst music of the four regions. :argh::argh::argh:

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
Spent time in the Chersonese, explored extensively in the Forest, delved into most of the Desert, returned to the Forest and completed a few loose ends, returned to the Chersonese and completed a few other loose ends, then finally proceeded into the Marsh to discover that it easily has the worst visuals and the worst music of the four regions. :argh::argh::argh:

Marsh... easily has worst music of the four regions. :argh::argh::argh:

Nigga you gonna pay for those words of disrespect.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
39 hours in my friend and I have gotten bored. I like this game, but I don't think its as good as retarded youtubers (is that redundant?) hyped it up to be. Ive been thinking about how to criticize the game, because it is fun and an impressive amount of work for just 10 people... but

I think it boils down to its just too damn easy. I have no idea what version of the game people crying on steam reviews were playing, because when we played it was only mildly challenging at the very start. The combat is not difficult because the AI is not good and they do not exploit any tricks that would make things harder on players. Gear, one of the main ways of levelling, is too easily had (its also worth noting that the additive instead of multiplicative armor/resistance system effectively makes armor OP fast). Most of the really good shit is just stumbled upon and no real work is required to get it. Craftables are too easily acquired. The survival aspects are really undercooked primarily because again, its too easy, you're never really at the mercy of the elements and you're never struggling to find food.

There needs to be perhaps 3x or even 4x enemies to make combat challenging in combat for coop. Supposedly there is scaling for coop, but I've never noticed it. In fact, I think its probably broken.

Overall, its an impressive indie effort and I think people should support this developer. Definitely play it through SP first, and only then do coop otherwise you will become bored before you get to endgame. Heres hoping the modding for this game ends up being a bit smarter than just hurr durr reshade and model hacks.

Murk

Arcane
This is the kind of game that could really benefit from some "clever" simulationist features, like other NPCs competing with you for stuff you want to do (even small things like you get stalked by bounty hunters who are stronger/have better AI). And of course more interaction with non-hostile NPCs who don't all just stand around. Needs more world building cues taken from PB/Gothic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom