Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fluent Plays Malevolence: Sword of Ahkranox

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

Deleted Member 16721

Alright, so I just finished my first run of Outward, looking for something different to play and I spotted this on Steam. Apparently on the 8th of April it hit 1.0 out of Early Access. It doesn't seem to have a lot of fanfare behind it but on paper it sounds interesting. I'm curious if anyone here has played it and if you think it's worth investing some time into. Here's the game:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/268930/Malevolence_The_Sword_of_Ahkranox/

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Not sure tbh. I'd probably watch you play it for a while, but would I play it myself? I don't know.

The biggest issue for me is, that it seems empty, desolate and artificial (which is no surprise since it's procedurally generated). Also looking at the screenshots I see "endless repetitive patterns". It's almost depressing. And could become boring very soon. Despite my aversion I'm somehow fascinated and wonder how it plays out...

Deleted Member 16721

Yeah, it's piqued my curiosity as well, especially a few of the positive reviews on Steam. Apparently there are thousands of dungeons in a huge world that everyone "shares". I bought it so I'll give it a shot and report back when I've played a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I knew we could always count on the Fluent AI to try some new, relatively obscure RPG. Keep going Fluent, may your batteries never run out.

Hopefully coming next: 'Malevolence is the newest God tier!' I hope it's decent, always been interested in this game but all the procedural stuff has got me very wary.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Don't bother with this shit game. Play this Malevolence instead.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...-styled-first-person-horror-adventure.126997/

The biggest issue for me is, that it seems empty, desolate and artificial (which is no surprise since it's procedurally generated). Also looking at the screenshots I see "endless repetitive patterns". It's almost depressing. And could become boring very soon. Despite my aversion I'm somehow fascinated and wonder how it plays out...

Fluent cares more about quantity than quality, so it will probably be his GOTY.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Pfeww, think i heard of this game like 20 years ago..Must be cleve's little brother doing this. Cant wait to read fluent telling us how awesome that boring piece of shit is .

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not sure tbh. I'd probably watch you play it for a while, but would I play it myself? I don't know.

Procedural generation is a disease among modern indie games.

jungl

Augur
tried this game back few years ago. Its one of those games that yes has a infinite world but after 45 minutes you seen everything it has to offer.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Fluent Plays a Game from Start to Finish

I wondered about how much Fluent actually plays all these games as well, but to be fair to the bloke he sure does put the hours in. His Steam profile is easy enough to find and the guy certainly has more time to game than me. Almost 500 hours in Pathfinder: Kingmaker, 180 almost in Kenshi, 165 in Elex and so on and so on. Christ, he's got 308 hours in BG2:EE.

He might well be a rogue AI built by Tim Sweeney and the Chinese government to bore western gamers off their RPG's, but he's certainly not someone who doesn't play the games he gushes about. /salute.

Sinatar

Arbiter
Proc gen, perma death, single character and they are charging $30 for what looks like a Unity asset flip?

Have some fucking standards people.

Oh wait... it's Fluent:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/268930/discussions/0/1812045108146288464/

iGAIt2R.png

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
The key to being gay is remembering what a terrible gamer Fluent is.

Deleted Member 16721

I haven't had time to play it, been messing around with Unclaimed Worlds and generally not playing anything. My first impressions were, not great. But I didn't get very deep into it. It seems the dungeon crawling might be fun if you don't mind a lot of similar dungeons with pieces you are going to see again and again. Someone mentioned it's an infinite world but you see it all in the first 45 minutes, and I'm slightly inclined to believe that, but again, haven't played much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom