Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Every developer who thinks user reviews are a bad thing produces utter trash that isn't worth buying. No exceptions.

The weird thing is he doesn't, people love Borderlands and it sells well. He's just being a tool because he's pissy over the review bombing.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Every developer who thinks user reviews are a bad thing produces utter trash that isn't worth buying. No exceptions.

The weird thing is he doesn't, people love Borderlands and it sells well. He's just being a tool because he's pissy over the review bombing.

For fuck's sake, do you really believe good sales equals quality?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Fuck no, and to be honest I don't even like Borderlands much. The point is he was saying being fearful of user reviews is because you have a shit product, but Pitchford doesn't. He has a product that sells and reviews well, whether you or I like it or not. Therefore he's just being pissy. This isn't hard to understand if you read the fucking posts.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Fuck no, and to be honest I don't even like Borderlands much. The point is he was saying being fearful of user reviews is because you have a shit product, but Pitchford doesn't. He has a product that sells and reviews well, whether you or I like it or not. Therefore he's just being pissy. This isn't hard to understand if you read the fucking posts.
Yeah but he also knows that without reviews his Colonial Marines scam wouldn't be the laughing stock of the industry. He has good games for now, yes, but he is aware that he is better off with no reviews, in case he makes some fuckups in the future.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

Imagine going to the grocery store and every time you go there the brands you bought last time have been replaced with new products. You'd be happy for user reviews then to figure out which products will fit your needs.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Randy is the king of passive aggressive trolling on twitter. Don't take his posts seriously.

deuxhero

Arcane
User reviews for food is bad? I order non-perishable food (generally specificity items) over the internet all the damn time. User reviews are always helpful. You have to sort out the retards ("I bought this seaweed that's supposed to be for soup stock and it's too salty to snack on!") but you have to do that with everything.

Modron

Arcane
User reviews for food is bad? I order non-perishable food (generally specificity items) over the internet all the damn time. User reviews are always helpful. You have to sort out the retards ("I bought this seaweed that's supposed to be for soup stock and it's too salty to snack on!") but you have to do that with everything.
Yeah randy should stick to talking about stuff more in his wheel house like magic tricks.

Dexter

Arcane
Yeah randy should stick to talking about stuff more in his wheel house like magic tricks.
Or scams.

Or magic tricks that turn out to be scams: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141589-Gearbox-CEO-Dismisses-Gamer-Criticism
As part of his keynote, Pitchford performed a magic trick based on the classic Three Card Monte street scam, explaining to attendees that while the vast majority of spectators would quietly appreciate the entertainment act, a small percentage would be critical and seek to validate that by attempting to convert others.

Irata

Scholar
He's going to be tweeting all the way to the bank. Some Borderlands game is in the Steam top 10 sellers right now. Borderlands 3 is going to make a ton of money on the CCP's Epic store.

Epic will survive all of this backlash too. The CCP and Fortnite players will give them the ability to buy more exclusives and the audience will cry and moan but they'll still buy it. Eventually people will forget (or just give up) and the store will stand on its own.

Cross

Arcane
Borderlands 3 is going to make a ton of money on the CCP's Epic store.
Epic couldn't even secure the usual first year of exclusivity for Borderlands 3, instead it's only 6 months, that's how little faith Gearbox and 2K have in its sales potential on the Epic store. Like with every other Epic exclusive, the deal was done for whatever financial incentive Gearbox and 2K are getting in exchange for (limited) exclusivity, not anything to do with sales.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
Dangerous Driving, the latest premium EGSclusive is out. Apparently it doesn't even have any soundtrack at all.

https://www.gamerevolution.com/review/521511-dangerous-driving-review
In another example, Dangerous Driving lacks any form of free play or versus modes at this time. An online component will (hopefully) come during the first month of release, but there’s only one way to play on launch day. Dangerous Driving also lacks a soundtrack, choosing instead to implement Spotify integration to let you play your own tunes. If you’re not a Spotify subscriber, you’ll just have to put something on in the background yourself. These are more minor annoyances, but they all add up.

If you’re playing on a computer, the problems don’t end there. Dangerous Driving is currently an Epic Games Store exclusive title. This usually wouldn’t impact a review in any way, but the client’s lack of features makes this PC release strictly inferior to its console counterparts. Since the EGS currently doesn’t have achievement support, neither does Dangerous Driving. This is excusable, but the additional lack of online leaderboards is the real bummer. Not being able to compete with friends for bragging rights is killer in a single player experience all about speed. In a game this barebones, the lack of these features really stands out.
Randy and Tim approve of this curation.

J1M

Arcane
Epic offering free games(something they did) without paying for exclusives would have earned them major clout with gamers.
I think you've repeated this a few times, but it isn't true. Epic offered titles like Shadow Complex for free prior to the approach of buying exclusives, and it was hardly covered. People still complained that free wasn't good enough to install a new client.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Who cares about obscure 10 years old shit enough to install spyware client?
When they offered Detroit for free they quickly backpedalled and removed it.

Achilles

Arcane
"Competition is good". Do the people that parrot this line understand that competition has many forms? That customer-focused competition in order to win over customers by offering them better services and/or prices is different from corporate warfare over who gets the exclusive right to stretch the customer's asshole?

Reinhardt

Arcane
corporate warfare over who gets the exclusive right to stretch the customer's asshole
C9bPd0AVwAAmkki.jpg

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
"Competition is good". Do the people that parrot this line understand that competition has many forms? That customer-focused competition in order to win over customers by offering them better services and/or prices is different from corporate warfare over who gets the exclusive right to stretch the customer's asshole?
I'm still waiting for someone to post a well-documented, big-scale historical scenario where "competition is always good" magic between distributors/publishers helped gamers. Competition on the console market is literally called "wars", yet the games are ridiculously overpriced and service-wise they're in dark ages with shit liked paid multiplier. During the retail era here, you had many different companies on the market "competing", yet they were all holding a tight grip on price fixing and buying original games was a complete sf scenario for an average, young potato due to exorbitant pricing. Even steam itself had much better prices and promos when it was much more of a "monopoly" than it is now. Things just don't work that way on the gaming market, they never did as far as I remember and this exclusivity shit means nothing but trouble for gamers.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just use Reddit: https://www.pcgamer.com/tim-sweeney...e-wont-have-internal-forums-or-trading-cards/

Tim Sweeney says Epic Games Store won't have internal forums or trading cards
The Epic Games boss headed back to Twitter to answer more questions.

Epic Games boss Tim Sweeney has once again taken to Twitter to discuss the the current state and future of the Epic Games Store. Some of his responses to user questions have already been addressed in the development roadmap last month, but he also touched on a few new features that are, and a couple that aren't, coming to the store.

"We aren’t planning to develop a trading metagame (e.g. cards) around the Epic Games store. Gifting and achievements are on the roadmap. We’ve launched an online support ticketing service developers can choose to use for games across all stores and platforms," Sweeney tweeted.

"Epic doesn’t plan to host third party game forums but we encourage developers to link to independent forums (like Reddit) on their store pages. As with Fortnite, we encourage forums (like Reddit.con/r/FortniteBR) that are independent of stores and platforms."

An overlay is planned (and on the roadmap, in the "midterm" category) and Sweeney said that Epic "is fine with M rated games," although he didn't commit to allowing Adult Only content on the storefront. "We’ll clearly show the ratings so customers understand what’s in the products they’re considering buying," Sweeney tweeted. He also clarified that when PC and Mac versions of a game are available on the store, buying one will grant access to both, the same as with Steam.

Sweeney also committed to maintaining the 88 percent cut it currently offers developers on its store, even as the number of features it supports, like cloud saves and achievements continues to expand. "These features don’t add significantly to incremental operating cost of the Epic Games store," Sweeney wrote. "The cost one-time development cost and maintenance are largely independent of store revenue."

Sweeney's latest round of tweetburst comes a week after he ventured onto the platform to criticize conspiracy theories about spyware in the Epic Games Store client and the company's connections to the Chinese government.

Cromwell

Arcane
The one thing they could do which steam doesnt would be to allow someone to play games in my account while I am playing on the same account. That would be a huge plus since I could then actually "trade" games with my friends again like I used to do when they came on discs or cartridges and which is the one thing I truly hate about digital games. But of course first they would have to think about the really big stuff like the cut the dev gets or achievments.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The one thing they could do which steam doesnt would be to allow someone to play games in my account while I am playing on the same account. That would be a huge plus since I could then actually "trade" games with my friends again like I used to do when they came on discs or cartridges and which is the one thing I truly hate about digital games. But of course first they would have to think about the really big stuff like the cut the dev gets or achievments.
Fuck game trading. Either you could afford to buy your own games or you were a poor degenerate that didn't get to play shit.

You technically can do that with Steam family sharing, it's just a bit of a pain in the ass. First you have to trust your friends marginally since if they do dumb shit like cheat in VAC games you're the one that eats the ban, plus you have to sign on to your Steam account on their machine(s) to turn it on in the first place, and then finally if you want to play a game in your library the same time as your buddy is playing something (And you don't want to just knock his ass off your games) you can flip to offline mode and still play your games while he is too. However if you've got access to his library then you can engage in Steam-69 and play something from his library while he's playing something on yours.

You used to be able to go offline to play someone else's shared games but Gaben did shut that down eventually which is a shame, but Steam sharing still is the closest thing to loaning your buddy a disc. Even closer than just giving him a DRM free GoG installer, because if you're going the non-pirate route you're usually mildly inconvenienced loaning games anyway.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Nigga, wat. You are suggesting that instead of selling copies to all your friends they will let you all play one copy?
:hahyou:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom