Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Imagine picking the n64 over the ps1 as a kid LOL

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
ps1 had tons of classic games like metal gear solid 1, dragon quest 7, ff7 and 9, xenogears, ff tactics, suikoden 1 and 2, persona 1 and 2, vagrant story, castlevania symphony of the night, mega man x4, alundra, tomb raider 2, gta 3, the list goes on and on and on.

versus zelda and goldeneye? LOOOOL

jungl

Augur
the platformer games ps1 had were honestly better then most of the rpgs. Shit like tomba, MDK, spyro. But mischief makers, geoman n64 game and especially jet force gemini was waaaay ahead of its time and btfo shitty rpg franchises like dragon quest for ps1 that you can ignore. In fact the short rpg maker ps1 game was same shit as dragon quest minus 50 hours of pointless padding and story you dont give a fuck about.

mogwaimon

Magister
console wars in 2019? total decline. also it's easy to see in retrospect the wealth of great games for the PSX, which has a library at least 5 times the size of the N64 (roughly 240 games vs like 1100) but when it's a new console you're not going to know every game that's coming out until end of life. Both the N64 and PSX have superb games that I would not want to give up just to claim superiority over a brand name...and by the by N64 didn't just have Zelda and Goldeneye, there was Mario 64, Mario Kart, the AKI wrestling games, Turok 1/2, Banjo Kazooie, Conker, Blast Corps...it had a small library but there's a lot of gold there. It's true that the console was shit for RPGs though, which was disappointing coming from a NES and SNES where I'd been hooked on Final Fantasy 1, 6, Chrono Trigger, and others.

I had the N64 first and then ended up with the PSX after proving to my ma that I was capable of taking care of CDs. Then I got my first PC a year or two later and spent my days playing Doom, Duke, Total Annihilation, Neverwinter Nights, and Unreal Tournament.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

I feel it speaks volumes about the level of nostalgia glasses every time that thing makes it to a list. Even more so when it's a list of 'gold' that 'I would not want to give up'. Like, the thing is entirely carried by poopchute jokes targeted at making 10 years old grin and parents gasp. The gameplay is about as fun as nail on chalkboards, with floaty controls, 3d platforming that involves insane levels of fall damage, camera issues and many other deal breakers.
Yet it is very often mentioned because the n64 library is just so pathetic that you really can't help but include a lot of really terrible games if you want your list to not look thin like a holocaust survivor.

mogwaimon

Magister

I feel it speaks volumes about the level of nostalgia glasses every time that thing makes it to a list. Even more so when it's a list of 'gold' that 'I would not want to give up'. Like, the thing is entirely carried by poopchute jokes targeted at making 10 years old grin and parents gasp. The gameplay is about as fun as nail on chalkboards, with floaty controls, 3d platforming that involves insane levels of fall damage, camera issues and many other deal breakers.
Yet it is very often mentioned because the n64 library is just so pathetic that you really can't help but include a lot of really terrible games if you want your list to not look thin like a holocaust survivor.
it does help that the last time I played it was when I was a teenager, yea. I also think that, as a platformer, it doesn't hold up, but for the time I played it and looking at it as an experience I had, I still wouldn't want to give it up and I would still recommend it to anyone who wants to play old N64 games.

Also I haven't played every game in the N64 library and there's a few other games I've played that I've got a soft spot for that I wouldn't consider gold, but definitely worth a play. I mean, Mischief Makers, Bomberman 64, Star Fox 64 (I don't know how I forgot this one, this should be in the gold pile) are games I've personally enjoyed and love, and there are other games like Goemon, Bangai-O, Hybrid Heaven, Snowboard Kids, and Sin and Punishment that I never played but others strongly recommend that can be considered higher than 'really terrible'.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
PlayStation.

:love:
There was a time when consoles were called "Nintendos". To me, "PlayStation" will always be THE synonym for console gaming.
  • Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
  • Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
  • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
  • Gran Turismo 2
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Final Fantasy VIII (never finished, glitchy disc)
  • Final Fantasy IX
  • Vagrant Story
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
  • Need for Speed: High Stakes
  • Driver
  • Mortal Kombat 4
I have very good visual memory so upon checking GameFaqs I'm surprised I've played so very few PS1 games. But back then, between Gran Turismo 2, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy IX and Vagrant Story I must have put over 3000 hours into that console.

Last edited:

mushaden

Scholar
Super Mario 64, OoT, Mario Kart, Star Fox, F-Zero X, Beetle Adventure Racing, Smash Bros, 1080 degrees... fight me

Mustawd

PlayStation.

:love:
There was a time when consoles were called "Nintendos". To me, "PlayStation" will always be THE synonym for console gaming.
  • Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
  • Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
  • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
  • Gran Turismo 2
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Final Fantasy VIII (never finished, glitchy disc)
  • Final Fantasy IX
  • Vagrant Story
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
  • Need for Speed: High Stakes
  • Driver
  • Mortal Kombat 4
I have very good visual memory so upon checking GameFaqs I'm surprised I've played so very few PS1 games. But back then, between Gran Turismo 2, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy IX and Vagrant Story I must have put over 3000 hours into that console.

I’d add:

Front Mission 3
Resident Evil 2
Tekken 3
Xenogears
X-Com
Winning 11 Soccer
Ridge Racer 2
Top Gun
Silent Hill
Medal of honor
Syphon Filter
Fifa

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
ps1 had tons of classic games like metal gear solid 1, dragon quest 7, ff7 and 9, xenogears, ff tactics, suikoden 1 and 2, persona 1 and 2, vagrant story, castlevania symphony of the night, mega man x4, alundra, tomb raider 2, gta 3, the list goes on and on and on.

Several of those are on PC. GTA3 wasn't PS1. And a lot of it comes down to taste, obviously. Granted this is the JRPG section so I'm an outlier I guess, but I think Zelda is better than any Squaresoft RPG and am not a huge fan of those. Metal Gear's endless story bullshit turns me right off, give me Thief and Splinter Cell over that any day. Only one you listed not on PC that's a classic for me is Symphony of the Night, and yes that's a damn good game. Better than Zelda? Eh, probably not.

I seriously have a PS1 emulator folder with like 4 games in it, but hey that's me.

mogwaimon

Magister
Surprised no one's mentioned Brave Fencer Musashi, either. I asked my mom for it for Christmas or my birthday or whatever just because it came with the demo disc for Final Fantasy 8 and when I got it, of course I went nuts over FF8 but then once I finished up the demo disc I started playing Musashi, since back then you actually played the games you got instead of having them sit on a shelf or Steam Library for ages untouched due to lack of time. Surprisingly, it was a rather fun little action RPG with a ton of charm.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Brave Fencer Musashi was also one of the rare games with decent VA and localization, which is unusual being that it is otherwise pretty low-key in presentation (no high-res models, expensive CGI, established IP, etc).

Tehdagah

Arcane
I had a PS1 and envied my buddies who had a N64.

These are all single-player games. The N64 was the bro console.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
One of the best games to come out from consoles, Zelda Majora's Mask, is casual kiddie shit while this jRPG trash is for real gamerz

1513920682421.png

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Saturn was superior to both, in the past I thougth they're equal with PSX but reconsidered.

Virtua Fighter > Tekken > 2 or 3 horrible N64 3D fighting games
NiGHTS > >Mario 64 >>>> Crap Bandipoop
X-Men vs Street Fighter and every other 2D Capcom arcade perfect port >>>> horrible PSX ports >>>>> N64 non-existent ports
Sega Really >>>> Ridge Racer
UMK3 was also a Saturn exclusive.

And I don't even mentioned lots of obscure Japan imports, many of multiplats PSX games are also available on Saturn with similar or better quality, PSX is superior only if you put emphasis on JRPGs and shovelware trash like sport games that were being released years after console's death (FIFA 2005, lulz).
I guess it depends on what you like. If you are REALLY into Virtua Fighter and care about the quality of 2d fighting games then I guess Saturn is better. But imo overall PSX has a better selection of games a lot of them dont even have anything comparable on the saturn or N64.

Front Mission
Resident Evil (i think the 1st one was on saturn but idk)
Silent Hill
Metal Gear Solid
Armored Core
Tenchu
Colony Wars
Einhander
Omega Boost
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
Soul Reaver
Oddworld
Ace Combat
Gran Turismo
A lot of JRPGs (Xenogears, Suikoden...)
Some cool pc ports if you didnt own a pc or had an outdated one (Quake 2, Diablo, Wing Commander, Fade to Black, Heart of Darkness...maybe more interesting games, didnt really pay attention to this since I played these on the pc)

Plus a lot of other good titles, these are just games from the top of my head that I wouldn't exchange for anything from Saturn or Nintendo

Last edited:

hoothoot

Arcane
Patron
syphon filter and twisted metal were dope but not many games can beat 4 player smash bros, mario kart or mario party. also pokemon snap.

Mark Richard

Arcane
These are all single-player games. The N64 was the bro console.
Absolutely. The N64 was THE local multiplayer console at the height of local multiplayer console games. Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Star Fox, Diddy Kong Racing, Wave Race, Mario Kart, Mystical Ninja 2 (Goemon's Great Adventure outside of Europe), Pokemon Stadium, Bomberman, Smash, Mario Party. Schoolmates would go over to each other's houses every weekend and occupy the living room for hours, blissfully unaware that the Internet was plotting to end this face-to-face interaction. What good is multiplayer if I can't reach out and punch you? How can you possibly take in the full extent of my controller-throwing rage from the safety of your home several miles away?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom