Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Codex Year of the Donut
Giving every enemy a ranged attack is :decline: and a cover for poor AI. If I can get to a high ground and have an advantage over an enemy then I should be able to exploit that advantage. If an enemy wants to escape my fire it should hide behind something and force me out into the open, not just retaliate with a heat-seeking ranged attack despite being a fucking rat.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
It isn't heatseeking, it's just predictive. If you consistently move in one direction, it will hit you as it should instead of being like 99% of games where moving steadily in one direction will make you impossible to hit by all projectiles. If you zig zag they won't hit you. It's just a balancing factor for the jetpack in combat.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Giving every enemy a ranged attack is :decline: and a cover for poor AI. If I can get to a high ground and have an advantage over an enemy then I should be able to exploit that advantage. If an enemy wants to escape my fire it should hide behind something and force me out into the open, not just retaliate with a heat-seeking ranged attack despite being a fucking rat.
Ugh, you can ALWAYS get to high ground in the game. Its very vertical and there are ruins everywhere. Ranged attacks are to balance this out. You're just some retard who only plays easy games. And a loser too having made 4000 posts in a year. Get a life.

Codex Year of the Donut
Ugh, you can ALWAYS get to high ground in the game. Its very vertical and there are ruins everywhere. Ranged attacks are to balance this out. You're just some retard who only plays easy games. And a loser too having made 4000 posts in a year. Get a life.
Yeah because it's too much to expect PB to be capable of making non-shit AI and instead just give every monster a fireball.
The PB apologists are the worst.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
well i'm glad you took my advice to heart and instead went for ris3n, the less demanding game for a less demanding gamer

Codex Year of the Donut
well i'm glad you took my advice to heart and instead went for ris3n, the less demanding game for a less demanding gamer
I already beat elex twice, I was finally doing a berserker playthrough. Nothing in the game is difficult.
Imagine actually defending a game having bad AI because you think it makes it more difficult somehow

Codex Year of the Donut
seems like p. good ai if you can't dodge its master-planned carefully aimed heat-seaking ranged attacks
It's not that they can't be dodged, it's that they were programmed by someone who has zero experience actually programming for videogames.
The moment you realize they aim using prediction based on where you'll be at the current player's velocity trajectory exactly when the projectile hits is when you realize just how easy it is to dodge by simply moving in the opposite direction as soon as they fire.
The problem here is now twofold: The AI for a biological creature has computer-like pinpoint accuracy with zero error, and it's amusingly easy to deceive because it's so simplistic.
This isn't difficult or good design. This is all around terrible and something you'd expect from someone who has no experience at this sort of thing.
The AI is so bad that the workaround for easily abusing the AI can be easily abused.

What's even worse than the AI is that people will defend it

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
The problem here is now twofold: The AI for a biological creature has computer-like pinpoint accuracy with zero error
Name an alternative. Randomly hitting you? Never hitting you if you even have the slightest bit of movement? All it does is just force you to keep your movement less predictable and force you to git gud, like you would against a human in a FPS. You don't stand still or move steadily in one direction in multiplayer FPS because that makes you easily tracked and hit, you WASDance, click crouch to prevent headshots and throw off the enemy's tracking so you can maintain a HP advantage.
Just learn to play and stop being butthurt that a rat swatted you out of the sky once. You failed, now you learned. Keep what you learned in mind when you go up against multiple enemies with ranged attacks in the future. There's things to complain about but the AI being decent enough to hit a moving enemy is not one of them.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I already beat elex twice, I was finally doing a berserker playthrough. Nothing in the game is difficult.
Imagine actually defending a game having bad AI because you think it makes it more difficult somehow
Ahhhh americans and PB games. You remind me of whiny john.

Deleted Member 16721

ELEX's projectile enemy attacks are beautifully programmed. They will anticipate your movement and shoot accordingly, so you have to mix it up while you escape or dodge them. I remember remarking in an LP video of mine how the enemies will miss you if you are unpredictable in your movement, which was a nice feature, rather than the alternative of getting hit every time like in some games.

You really just need to learn the game and stop bitching. It's a great system.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I do get annoyed at all the dark souls retards. Muh DS is hardcore and very hard,only for hardcore gymerrz. Then some PB comes and all those faggots get killed by a chicken and go,muh the game is broken and stupid hard hurr durr bad mechanics,etc etc. Fuck,amercians are stupid, prizing a game with invincibility in it. Even their latest game have a fucking no damage taken block and the invincibility rolling,tho it is less of a tumbling simulator.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
If I'm getting shot at and can't get to what's shooting at me maybe I'd hide behind an obstacle or run away.
If I had a method of counter attack I would use it.
Yes, it's true that the ideal would be enemies laying down suppressive fire with fire and manoeuvre flanking routines and squad and fireteam level tactics, but that's something that military simulators barely have, so who the fuck would care about trash mobs in RPGs having it? Having something like that is nigh impossible in a ARPG with a big world and enemies just running away at the slightest difficulty in reaching you would be boring as fuck.
realize I'm advocating for making it more difficult.
Enemies running away instead of attacking you isn't something that I would consider harder.

Deleted Member 16721

See my Skyrim Syndrome thread to understand why people think the game is broken. They'll fight a troll at level 1 for 2 hours and not even realize they are playing the game wrong. Then give it a 3/10 score or a negative review on Steam saying it's broken. That's why devs need to explain in tutorials better as to why a game is built like it is, so newbs can try and understand it more before knocking it in a review.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've watched the videos of "heat seeking rocks". That player was a moron. I'm half blind and could dodge projectiles. And every enemy does not have ranged attacks. Many do, but I remember cheesing some enemies early on by standing on higher ground.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
In PB games melee is where it's at. Parry and time your attacks. Good challenge. Ranged feels like a cheat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom