Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

rogueknight333

Arbiter
I was planning to replay Swordflight in the upcoming week and I were wondering if anyone had any suggestions regarding class/race choices seeing as at least the later modules seem to place some significance at these choices.

You will gain access to special sidequests and role-playing options for all classes and races, so it does not matter too much. There are lots of skill checks, so playing a character with at least some rogue levels to get lots of skills has a lot to be said for it.

Personally, of the class-based sidequests in Ch. 2, I am inclined to think that those for arcane casters and divine classes (Cleric/Paladin/Blackguard) turned out the best. Of the race-based dungeons in Ch. 3, I tend to like the ones for Dwarves, Gnomes and Halflings the best. Naturally these are not very objective assessments.

Cleric is probably the easiest class, if you are finding the combat too difficult. Alternatively, if you want more of a challenge, playing as a Shifter or single-classed rogue would be among the hardest options. Playing as a Rogue/Warrior multi-class would be a solid, versatile choice: adequate in combat, lots of skills, and able to access a variety of the class-specific content.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
:notsureifserious:

20 strength half-orc fighters or barbarians are the thing to play if you want to expend the least amount of effort killing things, don't think they're a rare combination at all.

Sabotin

Scholar
If possible I'd suggest something with (almost) full AB progression and a 1h+shield style (unless you're going full caster or sth). The combat seems tuned to higher end stats so differences in gear choices are more noticeable. For example I've played a Brd/Ftr/PM with a halberd and all the defensive spells/immunities didn't seem good enough of a replacement for a shield. Similarly it felt slower to wipe stuff with it's 3/4ish BAB, despite "increased damage" from 2h.

Most fun I've had was half-elf Pld/Sor/AA, with access to both arcane/divine content and the little bonus for half races as well as a pixie familiar for some rogue stuff to boot. However bows are kinda inferior as there's a lot of effects you can get on other weapons that just don't work on ranged (can mod it but then it's kinda OP...). Also the later stages of the series get increasingly annoying where your damage just can't keep up with bows. And with this character I learned that dodge AC bonuses are way worse than I thought. Someone in the thread went with a Pld/Sor/RDD and that seemed like a better choice for getting both caster variants.

Playing evil is kind of a stretch rp-wise if that affects anything for you but it is supported.

If I get around to playing this again I'm going Ftr/Brd/Blk

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
So if I'm gathering this correctly the best path seems like some sort of melee focused character with achillary divine/arcane casting for accessing more content.

Non-casting classes will access less content (with the exception of rogues) and monks will probably have a particularly bad time.

Is that an accurate description?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Not really. Everyone gets something, so there's no "best path". The most overpowered class in NWN has always been the Cleric, so if "best" you mean "easiest", then go for that. If you mean "best" as in "accessing most content" then I think something like Paladin/Sorc/Rogue gets you the most without sacrificing character strength. Monk is a one-trick pony, and not only in NWN, but in D&D in general, always has been and always will be; its weakness is mechanical in this context and I wouldn't play Swordflight as a pure Monk. It's also kinda boring tbh. Maybe if you go Monk/Weaponmaster/xxx (Assassin? Rogue?) focusing on Kamas it'd be better.

Deleted Member 16721

Can someone help me put together an adventure path for levels 1-10? I'd like to try different heralded modules while also importing my character from adventure to adventure. In other words, maybe one module would be levels 1-3, then another 4-8, and then one for 9-10, etc.. Can anyone recommend something like that?

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Can someone help me put together an adventure path for levels 1-10? I'd like to try different heralded modules while also importing my character from adventure to adventure. In other words, maybe one module would be levels 1-3, then another 4-8, and then one for 9-10, etc.. Can anyone recommend something like that?

This list on the Vault was specifically designed to help someone trying to do what you describe, so you might want to check it out.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I'm playing Pathfinder Kingmaker right now and I'm so enthused about it that I re-installed NWN2 from its GOG version in preparation for playing some modules. I remember playing the Legacy of White Plume Mountain one and really enjoying it until I realized it was one big mountain of game-breaking, heartbreaking, soul-sucking bug. Someone released an unofficial patch for it so I'd like to play it after I get through with P:KM but man oh mano, is it going to be ugly going from the big and beautiful Pathfinder interface back to NWN2 even with the UI improvement mods. Is there a mod that makes hotbars bigger for 1920x1080 displays?

Bedine
for NWN2 looked interesting so I installed it and created a character and was greeted with a ghostly white glowing globule with vaguely humanoid arms flailing about floating around on a blank textureless plane that stretched into infinity. This was what Death was like, I decided. Bugs, bugs, who got the bugs?

ETA: Heh, it's not a bug in the Bedine module. You're suppose to be in polymorphed spirit form and move onto that lights square where you get dialogue to move on and enter the "real" world. One thing I'm noticing about NWN2 after being away for so long is the horrible flashing textures on the shadows because of the sun moving across the sky in accelerated game time. I have all detail levels turned up so I just need to soften the shadows a bit, I suspect., unless there's a better fix for it.

Last edited:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I remember playing the Legacy of White Plume Mountain one and really enjoying it until I realized it was one big mountain of game-breaking, heartbreaking, soul-sucking bug.
Legacy of White Plume Mountain
There's a unofficial patch for it on the Vault, so it was almost bug free. There was a crafting bug, when I crafted something in the crafting area I would usually get 2 copies (and lose 2x the gold), also sometimes you would get the crafted item even when you didn't have all ingredients.
Then there was one bug that prevented me from finishing the game. I brought all 3 weapons to the 3 quest givers, but I told one of them that I'm going to keep his weapon, he attacked me and was killed. At that point all quests were done, but when I returned to the mountain I couldn't enter. The game would tell me to first complete the weapon quests, but those already were completed, 2 guys had their weapons back and the third was dead. I assume you could circumvent this by just giving all 3 weapons back. I didn't care about the game anymore at this point, so I stopped then and there.

Combat difficulty: Like shooting fish in a barrel, actually insulting to you as a gamer. There was a dungeon with Demogorgon worshippers and at the end you fight an aspect of Demogorgon (remember BG2 Demogorgon?), who dies in like 2 combat rounds while your party doesn't lose a single hit point. The entire game was like this.
The single most dangerous thing in this game are traps because when you spring one you actually will lose some HP. And I didn't even have a real arcane caster in my party of 4 (warlock too stronk?).

The puzzles are an insult to your intelligence. Like, here you have 4 orb thingies and there are 4 orb stands. I wonder if you can manage to put the orbs on their stand, bro. Well done, have a cookie!

It was said that unlike SOZ the dungeons in this one aren't just 3 room affairs. It's true, instead of 3 rooms you'll have 30 rooms and 3 dungeon levels. And those will be filled with hapless trash mobs for you to roflstomp with zero effort and loot overpowered equipment. Other than that those dungeons are as sozzy as it gets, zero context, story, quests attached to it. No one to interact with. Just as bad as the sozzy SOZ dungeons... just bigger.

Honestly, one of the most boring modules I ever played.

Verdict: sozzier than SOZ.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Sometimes you just wanna get your AD&D hak 'n' slash on and not put too much thought into puzzles, especially after something heavy like Pathfinder Kingmaker. I installed a few NWN modules into their own folders to keep things tidy (-home switch) and wow, that Conan 2 module with its 500 buildings in the city is an explorer's wet dream. I need to get that Character Mode 3rd person camera working right though. Looked for the setting that turns the camera as your character turns in over the shoulder but I can't seems to get it working. Ideally I'd like to use a DS4 controller for movement so I can potato out on my couch while playing these good ol' games

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
You know, I've been wondering why this topic is so dead for such a classic RPG institution (NWN user modules) and why NWN EE hasn't completely revived folks' interest... until I realized that NWN EE runs like complete ass on my mid-level (but quite sufficient) system. Man, does it run like shit. While I can tolerate lower frame rates there's one thing that absolutely chaffs my glutes - stutter and micro-stutter. I installed Swordflight on EE and got that annoying micro-stutter every time I moved my character around in the opening tavern or did edge-scrolling. It's just complete leukemia how EE runs, even at disabled detail settings. So I installed Swordflight in a fresh installation on NWN Diamond (GOG). GREAT framerates and Johnson & Johnson smooth as a baby's bum. Only one problem though. Thanks to Windows 10 or Nvidia or the Gods know what else, my preferred resolution of 1920X1080 only runs in a small window in the lower right corner of my screen. Then I disable the DPI scaling and it runs in perfect full screen at 1920 X 1080... but with a reduced size in fonts that make it unreadable to me (yes, I have the large fonts option selected). Fuck NWN (though NWN2 runs flawlessly on my rig). I'm going back to P:KM and then maybe NWN2 after that to soothe my AD&D addiction.

Sabotin

Scholar
For EE try disabling the new graphical stuff. Dunno how it is now, but way back when SSAO and DoF murdered framerates (as in, 70-90 to 20-30 or so).

For diamond, the font is tiny by default, no? The high-def font option makes the text bold at best, rather than bigger. There was some larger UI mod on the vault/nexus, you could try using that, but I haven't tried yet myself. Here: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/gui/enhanced-gui For weird issues with diamond you can also try nwncx and see if that makes any difference in how it runs.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeah, there are bigger font mods, check out Lilura's blog for details and where to find them.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Thanks. I'll check it out. I think I once tried one of those font/UI mods for NWN1 and it was missing some elements, like the compass. But maybe it just wasn't a very good one. I really liked Tchos' UI mod for NWN2 but I don't think he ever made one for NWN1.

ETA: Btw, I did try disabling all the new graphics options for NWN EE and it didn't make a difference.

NatureOfMan

Educated
You know, I've been wondering why this topic is so dead for such a classic RPG institution (NWN user modules) and why NWN EE hasn't completely revived folks' interest... until I realized that NWN EE runs like complete ass on my mid-level (but quite sufficient) system. Man, does it run like shit. While I can tolerate lower frame rates there's one thing that absolutely chaffs my glutes - stutter and micro-stutter. I installed Swordflight on EE and got that annoying micro-stutter every time I moved my character around in the opening tavern or did edge-scrolling. It's just complete leukemia how EE runs, even at disabled detail settings. So I installed Swordflight in a fresh installation on NWN Diamond (GOG). GREAT framerates and Johnson & Johnson smooth as a baby's bum. Only one problem though. Thanks to Windows 10 or Nvidia or the Gods know what else, my preferred resolution of 1920X1080 only runs in a small window in the lower right corner of my screen. Then I disable the DPI scaling and it runs in perfect full screen at 1920 X 1080... but with a reduced size in fonts that make it unreadable to me (yes, I have the large fonts option selected). Fuck NWN (though NWN2 runs flawlessly on my rig). I'm going back to P:KM and then maybe NWN2 after that to soothe my AD&D addiction.
Don't know about stuttering but crashes in Persistent worlds happen too fucking often.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Update: I tried that UI mod for NWN Diamond, and for the most part, it works great. Fonts are nice and large now. However, yeah, the compass is missing. So if your module doesn't need a compass, it's great. If your module does need a compass, you're fucked. But now I can play Swordflight. One more thing, and very important: if you're using any Nvidia driver version prior to a few builds before 390.77 there's a bug in the driver that causes missing textures in NWN1 which results in invisible bodies. I was using 388.71 and as soon as I fired up Swordflight, in the starting area (The tavern), first thing I saw was waitresses, barkeeps and mages walking around with no bodies. So be sure to use at least driver version 390.77. Anyway, the UI mod works and looks good on my 43" TV.

sL40u72.jpg

d1nolore

Savant
You don't need the compass because you have the map. That's probably why they removed it.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I discovered a few quirks about NWN. The "enable vsync" option in the original BioWare game (right up to the last official patch) never worked, but you can force vsync on through the Nvidia Control Panel. However, you only get 50 FPS (not 60 FPS) at 1920 X 1080 with vsync enabled for some bizarre reason, which is the default for PAL 50Hz. I should consider myself lucky since I've seen posts of poor bastards getting 15 FPS in NWN, especially with the EE.

NatureOfMan

Educated
Anyone know a good PnP conversion module? I really like the idea of modules like that even though I will be playing them solo. I've played U1 - The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh so far and even though it needed polish I kinda liked it. If anyone has ever played one of those tell me which ones you liked the best and which ones I should skip, I am actually planning on using the character from U1 and getting him through a lot of the available PnP modules on something of an adventure.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Anyone know a good PnP conversion module? I really like the idea of modules like that even though I will be playing them solo. I've played U1 - The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh so far and even though it needed polish I kinda liked it. If anyone has ever played one of those tell me which ones you liked the best and which ones I should skip, I am actually planning on using the character from U1 and getting him through a lot of the available PnP modules on something of an adventure.

I'm pretty sure I played Queen of The Demon Web Pits and enjoyed it. Well, I know I played some NWN module with an evil Queen that was a spider or something and she had demons in her webs and in her pits. There's just been sooo many. As far as I'm concerned, if I completed it, it was worth playing, and this was worth playing.

I did a meticulous re-install of NWN Diamond in preparation for Swordflight, careful not to install any mods that effect gameplay or AI behavior. I learned from personal experience and the hard way that installing stuff like Project Q or Tony's AI mod or even that overhead camera hack can either brake your game, or FUBAR it to a painful and crippled finish. And something like that NWN community patch? No fucking way. The guy fixed five thousand bugs! I'm not so much worried about the things that were broken that he fixed as the things that weren't broken that he fixed. FIVE FUCKING THOUSAND FIXES!

Peace out, NWNheads.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom