Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Prodeus - retro FPS by ex-Raven devs

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

12 minutes of unfiltered gameplay (though with a suspicious timeskip at around 8 minutes). Not bad, but one thing I find worrying is how the UI has space/slots for only 5 guns? (or rather fists + 4 guns).

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
That transition from first-person to auto-map is cool as shit. The whole thing looks technically competent, but the degree of visual noise at play looks like it may be a problem.
The weapon UI slots don't make much sense, as the ammo types promise at least 5 guns, and pistol/chaingun share the same ammo type anyways, so it's probably one of those things that aren't 'FINAL'.
On the whole looks like what'd happen when you'd try to recreate Doom in an actual 3D engine.

passerby

Arcane
I'd make weapons and enemies 3d with low res unfiltered textures. Since they insist on sprites, they could at least double resolution and animation frames, looks goofy when gameplay is so smooth and gore/explosions much more detailed than enemies.

Everything is also an obvious Doom ripoff, would prefer something a bit more creative, but otherwise looks fun.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Looks pretty solid to me. I didn't like the look of Dusk so I never got around to it, but I like the look of this one much more. Raven had solid level designers. Think I'll be supporting this barring poor new feedback.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
I'd make weapons and enemies 3d with low res unfiltered textures. Since they insist on sprites, they could at least double resolution and animation frames, looks goofy when gameplay is so smooth and gore/explosions much more detailed than enemies.

Everything is also an obvious Doom ripoff, would prefer something a bit more creative, but otherwise looks fun.

On the kickstarter page it says you can have 3d enemies with lowres unfiltered textures, like you say.

The sprites look like they have about the same pixel density as the level, but the guns look too detailed in comparison in my opinion.

ur dad

Literate
Wew, there is 'lack of originality' and then there is Prodeus.
But if its gonna be mod friendly theres a bit of fun to be had I guess

soulburner

Cipher
The gameplay video looked pretty decent, but I agree to some extent with passerby a few posts above - at least the weapon sprites could use more frames of animation, it seems a bit "off". I think there should be no idle animations on the viewmodels at all or just occasional ones. I also believe the weapons themselves should be moved a little more to the center of the screen, they are far too... far on the right. It would, of course, be best if they made the weapons centered like in Doom and Quake (despite what many think, it looks more natural - you always position your body in a way that makes the weapon in your hand in the center of your eyesight and you never shoot from the hip. Additionally, I find it easier to aim with centered weapons and have no need for the crosshair - it seems like it's more natural for my brain to find just the vertical center of the screen and not use any aim assist).

They also must kill the red flash on enemy sprites. Make more emphasized pain animations and maybe more precise blood sprites coming off exactly where the enemy sprite was hit.

And lastly, a little less dependency on teleporting enemies, make more of them roaming the map.

some funny shit

Scholar
Why all these nu-retro-shooters must look the same.
Like some cheap, chinese copy of nuDOOM.

How about some original setting?
Jesus, even 90s DooM crappy rip off clones had more character.

deama

Prophet
Looks neat, though I hate that they went with the keys design philosophy, I hate having to find keys to unlock rooms that maybe have more keys and eventually you find the exit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Looks neat, though I hate that they went with the keys design philosophy, I hate having to find keys to unlock rooms that maybe have more keys and eventually you find the exit.

WTF are you talking about, you couldn't do a retro FPS like this without that design, which was core to the genre back then. Also it's way better than walking in a straight line to the exit like Call of Duty. Unless you're going to do open world or RPG hybrid it's the best way to go.

deama

Prophet

WTF are you talking about, you couldn't do a retro FPS like this without that design, which was core to the genre back then. Also it's way better than walking in a straight line to the exit like Call of Duty. Unless you're going to do open world or RPG hybrid it's the best way to go.
This key shit is complete dog shit, so is the call of duty corridor design a pile of dog shit. The best design would be a metroidvania where you unlock new areas by getting upgrades instead of this retarded fucking key system (blue/red/green door in super metroid was shit too).

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

This key shit is complete dog shit, so is the call of duty corridor design a pile of dog shit. The best design would be a metroidvania where you unlock new areas by getting upgrades instead of this retarded fucking key system (blue/red/green door in super metroid was shit too).

this is supposed to ape doom, not hexen

and also you are dumb and wrong

m_s0

Arcane
I've watched some more gameplay, read up a bit, and it does appear that the game uses filters to attain the look (and that the sprites are likely to be based on the 3d models you can use instead anyway), so I think I'll be throwing a couple of bucks their way.

The guns could use a bit more kick, though. They should contact PillowBlaster on this point.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
this is supposed to ape doom, not hexen

Which is a shame, exploring every dark corner and alcove is my favorite aspect of Hexen 2 - every game i've seen that is supposedly "inspired" by it has only the visuals as the inspiration, never the level design.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
O hey, it made the goal and already went 10k bucks over it. That gameplay vid sure made them skyrocket:

dailypledges.png

ironmask

Arbiter
So this is basically nudoom but with competent level design that doesn't have you exploring a empty ass map with few enemies until you enter a room where you are forced to kill a boring wave of enemies while listening to shitty music and when you're done killing the easy ass wave of enemies, you have to explore a empty ass map again, until you enter another room again, and it's basically a repeating cycle that gets boring real quick. Plus it has an actual true level editor and not that snapmap shit or whatever the fuck it's called. This sounds good already.

"We're making a retro shooter so everything must look as shit as possible, with pixelation and extreme shimmering!". What the fuck is up with these idiot devs, seriously. Also - iron sights and reloading, no thank you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom