Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo III - bigger than politics

abija

Prophet
  • Game control feels floaty and imprecise due to 3D graphics "smooth animations".
Problem with arguing the codex way. You try so hard to be edgy even correct points get ruined by retarded shit like the quote above.

The thing that really annoys me though is that game devs are also incapable of identifying things other games do right (regardless of the overall quality of said game) and copy those when it fits their own.
A good example is how D3 used different techniques for characters and background to improve visibility (very obvious it in Dexter's screenshots). Everybody seems to ignore it because "cartoonish art style" or because the end result is still a clusterfuck visually in endgame/mp.
Same for animation cancelling that's been a thing in blizzard games since forver and one of the reasons they feel responsive and somehow is not a standard. Poe needed to allow retarded attack speeds for game to 'feel' responsive.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Diablo 3 retardation reminder:

• Magic classes wielding melee weapons which dictate magic power thru physical damage.
Please go away, we've already rehashed your stupid claim that it "makes no sense" to use weapons as a magical focus in a fictional fantasy setting repeatedly. It's just as dumb now as it was the last one thousand times you brought this up.

Yeah, please go away if you say things I can't argue against!!!!

shinonage point wasn't about the magical aspect of the items, but about different classes using the same type of items simply as DPS multipliers without them being related in any way to the class or the type of attacks.

But shit taste and fanboysm are what they are and therefore it's only natural for a Bethestard to be a Blizztard as well.

abija

Prophet
Point is wrong though, they just stretched the item usage a bit. Plenty of items are class reserved and for example with dh you can use daggers, but can use only a part of the skills.

Using only weapon damage instead of weapon/spell power in skills is done for less loot fragmentation (the most retarded thing in Grim Dawn btw) or semi arbitrary skill restrictions. It's not even a big stretch of imagination, that 2h sword would hold more "magic juice" than a wand. Weapon damage transferring to skill effects is also quite common in this genre.
Keep in mind D3 allows you to fully enjoy all the builds you want to try without trade, hacks or absurd amount of grinding.

Yosharian

Arcane
Point is wrong though, they just stretched the item usage a bit. Plenty of items are class reserved and for example with dh you can use daggers, but can use only a part of the skills.

Using only weapon damage instead of weapon/spell power in skills is done for less loot fragmentation (the most retarded thing in Grim Dawn btw) or semi arbitrary skill restrictions. It's not even a big stretch of imagination, that 2h sword would hold more "magic juice" than a wand. Weapon damage transferring to skill effects is also quite common in this genre.
Keep in mind D3 allows you to fully enjoy all the builds you want to try without trade, hacks or absurd amount of grinding.
Too bad almost nobody wants to play that shit

abija

Prophet
If they'd put out content the game would do even better than PoE player wise. Why even bring up player count for a blizzard game, they have way more than design quality justifies.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
  • Game control feels floaty and imprecise due to 3D graphics "smooth animations".
Problem with arguing the codex way. You try so hard to be edgy even correct points get ruined by retarded shit like the quote above.

It does read kind of retarded, so I augmented it a little bit. The point is... 3D does often ruin movement precision. It's just too complex for its own sake. I don't want a character start his movement or swing slowly and then accelerate. I don't want him to slow down before stopping. I want him to respond exactly to when I hold down a button or release it. Move at fixed speed, start and end movement when I say so. Be predictable and exact. My control/timing has to transfer into the game as precisely as possible.

Diablo 1/2 did that well. Diablo 3/Torchlight/PoE all feel imprecise. It's not blatant, but the floaty feel is irritating. There's an issue with the hits connecting, too. It also feels dliuted and imprecise. Yeah Diablo 2 had its own issues with lag and using TCP/IP, but it was... predictable lag, and for the most part it hid it very well. There was a sense of connection between a swing and the damage caused. Maybe it's a combination of strict sprite animation states, lack of "physics", and a strict movement grid, I dunno. But it felt proper in connecting the impact with the result.

Diablo 3 combat feels like you're LARPing with friends who fall down on cue.

Sykar

Arcane

It does read kind of retarded, so I augmented it a little bit. The point is... 3D does often ruin movement precision. It's just too complex for its own sake. I don't want a character start his movement or swing slowly and then accelerate. I don't want him to slow down before stopping. I want him to respond exactly to when I hold down a button or release it. Move at fixed speed, start and end movement when I say so. Be predictable and exact. My control/timing has to transfer into the game as precisely as possible.

Diablo 1/2 did that well. Diablo 3/Torchlight/PoE all feel imprecise. It's not blatant, but the floaty feel is irritating. There's an issue with the hits connecting, too. It also feels dliuted and imprecise. Yeah Diablo 2 had its own issues with lag and using TCP/IP, but it was... predictable lag, and for the most part it hid it very well. There was a sense of connection between a swing and the damage caused. Maybe it's a combination of strict sprite animation states, lack of "physics", and a strict movement grid, I dunno. But it felt proper in connecting the impact with the result.

Diablo 3 combat feels like you're LARPing with friends who fall down on cue.

Part of it is also that hits are confirmed before the animation actually hits you. Iirc Blizzard justified this retardation by claiming that they do not want people to be able to conquer content with low grade gear. In other words, D3 devs do not like player skill. Fucking retards.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Part of it is also that hits are confirmed before the animation actually hits you. Iirc Blizzard justified this retardation by claiming that they do not want people to be able to conquer content with low grade gear. In other words, D3 devs do not like player skill. Fucking retards.

This shouldn't be a problem as long as you mandate that the enemy reaction always plays after the animation reaches the hitting point. Never before. I'm fairly certain that Diablo 2 also decided hits at the beginning of the animation, in order to battle lag. But in D3 they truly feel asynchronous.

It's like an interpretative dance of a battle, a stage performance. I shall vaguely wave in your direction and you shall whirl away... whirl away on your tippy toes... with more feeling...

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Maybe Diablo 3 isn't as bad now compared to release, but even if someone wanted to play it now I don't see a compelling reason to shell out $50 for it and the expansion when POE is free.

GrainWetski

Arcane
The fact that you only have access to 4 skills at a time and there is no build dedication. The fact that my void mage is a void mage only when I feel like playing a void mage makes Di-fckn-ablo '3' utter GARBAGE!

That is not choice that is non-committal. It's like a marriage where you can fck everyone, that is not a fckn marriage where is mah loyalty!!
Don't forget that you first need to grind your "void mage set" so your void skills can get 9000% extra damage so they actually do damage. Really good itemization and "builds".

So I see some people are giving "Not sure if serious" to my statement of Diablo 2 being fucking ugly. Yes, it is fucking ugly for a game that came out from a company as big as Blizzard, in the year 2000. I know, it's a semi-random, tileset-based game so it won't look like a game hat had everything painstakingly crafted to look like a painting, but holy shit did it look like ass compared to games that came out the same year.

And this was in the age when it was acceptable for the RPG and the RPG subgenres to not have good graphics even when published by bigger companies.
I don't think it looks too bad. Obviously the stretched UI looks terrible.

76ubcSH.jpg

Here's a Diablo 3 screenshot for comparison

YAVMNTF.jpg

Generic-Giant-Spider

All Diablo clones since Diablo 2 became AOE lightning fireworks fuck festivals that can't stand up to the pedigree of the original two.

I watch D3 vs. POE discussions all the time and I see the same old shit when I view the games myself: some guy running like he's on speed and obliterating the entire screen of enemies in 0.5 seconds. It's like watching a Gauntlet playthrough at 2x speed only this time you don't get the goofy narrator going, "ELF NEEDS FOOD... BADLY" or "USE KEYS TO OPEN DOORS."

They both suck.

Gerrard

Arcane
From what I've seen Grim Dawn wasn't near that level, but that maybe just depends on the builds that people were using.

G2 and IWD sure look awesome... but those are pre-rendered images throughout, including stuff like chests. You simply cannot do something like that for a game like D2.
What do you think D2 (and 1) graphics are made out of you FUCKING RETARD? They are 3D renders downscaled into ugly sprites made for 640x480 resolution (in fucking 2000). Diablo games can't even stand next to the term "pixel art".

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
Maybe Diablo 3 isn't as bad now compared to release, but even if someone wanted to play it now I don't see a compelling reason to shell out $50 for it and the expansion when POE is free.
Diablo 3 Battlechest (with the Expansion) on Sale often costs like $9-15 or similar, that's the only reason I played it in the first place, especially since they removed the Money RMAH and a lot of people were constantly saying that "it got better since Launch" (I only played the Open Beta back then and wasn't too impressed, aside from all the other issues it had at Launch), it didn't.

I also got StarCraft 2 Battlechest with all 3 Expansions for a similar price, since it's finally a complete game and I enjoyed the SP campaign of that more than I thought I would, although Wings of Liberty is still the best part, the other two weren't bad. I had reclaimed my age-old B.Net account that I had since I played the Original StarCraft, Diablo 2 and WarCraft III on it back in the 90s/00s from some Taiwanese hacker that apparently figured out my easy password and probably used it to advertise on WoW to play Destiny 2 when it was Free for a while. Also tried Overwatch for a few rounds, since that was also Free for a Weekend around the same time and that sucks too, it isn't even a real shooter.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
I bought D3 because I was still somewhat partial towards Blizzard due to Warcraft 1-3, WoW Classic+TBC and Starcraft:BW. D3 in conjunction with the awful WoW Pandaland expansion, as the final nail in the coffin, convinced me to never buy anything from Blizzard again.

Self-Ejected

Circuit the Short

Self-Ejected
Actually bought D3 to play with friends after we enjoyed torchlight 2 co-op playthrough. Never played co-op.

pomenitul

Arbiter
The atmosphere in Reaper of Souls was genuinely solid. They clearly learned from their mistakes and the game has only improved since then. It's fun to level a char to 100 when a new season hits. You just do it then move on – no need to swap shit with other autists like in Path of Exile, which is too much for my old carcass. That said, Grim Dawn is superior in almost every way.

I also got StarCraft 2 Battlechest with all 3 Expansions for a similar price

I'm always looking for new party members in that one! Let's do some pvp training, or at least some co-op.
I've been playing for over a year and a half off and on and I think this is so far my absolute favorite PvP game.

Oh by the way, Blizzard actually refuses to take my money now. Cannot buy anything because cannot add a payment method. I was gonna buy SC II primal zerg co-op commander. I googled about it and found a thread where people where complaining about it for over half a year and nothing got done. They finally reached the point where they don't need any more money.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From what I've seen Grim Dawn wasn't near that level, but that maybe just depends on the builds that people were using.

G2 and IWD sure look awesome... but those are pre-rendered images throughout, including stuff like chests. You simply cannot do something like that for a game like D2.
What do you think D2 (and 1) graphics are made out of you FUCKING RETARD? They are 3D renders downscaled into ugly sprites made for 640x480 resolution (in fucking 2000). Diablo games can't even stand next to the term "pixel art".
Your ignorance is cute, you know.
Maybe, once you grow out of the manbaby phase, someone will be able to take you serious.

Tiles are downscaled prerendered sprites? Really? Did they teach you that in special school? Incredible!
Too bad they did not tell you the difference between a game where everything except characters is static (even the fucking chests, which have no animation at all, just an opening noise) from the shadows to small "household" items like vases, cups, chests, where absolutely nothing can be changed about the scene, where you never have a great amount of enemies on the screen, where those enemies never die at the speed of light and are replaced by even more, where the game has one image for every level that can be painted to perfection and doesn't have to pieced together at runtime at near-instant speed, well... the difference between that kind of game and the exact opposite.
Nowadays, this wouldn't make too much of a difference graphics-wise, any PC could handle either. But back then, no PC would have been able to handle a D2 at Baldur's Gate/IWD levels of graphics. What, you think Blizzard was just too dumb to make a higher resolution? :lol: It's about so much more than pixel count. That, plus Blizzard was always aiming at the low-level devices so that as many people as possible could play, that's part of why they are/were so successful.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom