Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Queen's Wish: The Conqueror gets trailer and Steam page, coming Fall 2019

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Queen's Wish: The Conqueror; Spiderweb Software

Last year, Jeff Vogel went to Kickstarter to fund his new BioWare-inspired retro RPG, Queen's Wish: The Conqueror. The game didn't really look any more impressive than anything he'd created before, but that didn't stop Jeff's small but dedicated fanbase from dumping almost $100k on it. Since then there have been regular monthly Kickstarter updates, and now the game is close enough to release that it's time for a trailer and Steam page. You know the drill:

You are royalty of the mighty empire of Haven! Your mother the Queen rules, while you enjoyed a life of sheltered luxury. Then, one morning, you woke up to find yourself banished to a brutal war-torn land. Your job? Prove yourself by conquering it, or don’t bother to come home.

At last, you have been given wealth, magic, soldiers, power. The Queen thinks you will submit and join the family business. You might have other ideas ...

Queen's Wish: The Conquerer is a epic, indie fantasy role-playing adventure. Wander free through an enormous world, sink into a fascinating story full of surprises and interesting decisions, and use your cunning to outwit a multitude of dungeons and foes. In this open-ended adventure, you can build an Empire or free the oppressed. Serve the Queen or rebel. Fight or use diplomacy. Build fortresses, smith enchanted blades and armor, and deal with nagging relatives!

Queen's Wish: The Conquerer features:

• Epic fantasy adventure with over 50 hours of gameplay.
  • Open-ended story in a variety of mysterious lands, featuring many choices, paths and endings. Lots of replay value.
  • Suspenseful tactical combat. Select from fifty different abilities. Build and rebuild your warriors to face rapidly changing foes.
  • Explore (and conquer) an enormous outdoors and a huge variety of dungeons and enemy fortresses.
  • Gain strength with a unique fortress system. Build and equip fortresses, making your warriors stronger in a wide variety of ways.
  • Not just orcs and elves. Features the unforgettable races and characters that make Spiderweb Software adventures unique.
  • Over 100 side quests and hundreds of magical artifacts to hunt for.
Enjoy a new adventure from Spiderweb Software, now celebrating 25 years of making fine indie fantasy role-playing goodness.

Queen's Wish is due out sometime this fall, which is a bit later than the May release date declared in the Kickstarter campaign, but that's to be expected. Mockery of graphics aside, the concept seems promising enough. Hopefully Jeff will find the right balance of Dragon Age and Avernum with this one.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
ss_753b959306aaf1178e4b4f14286027235cbe6866.1920x1080.jpg

Weird image to advertise your game with. :lol:

Jeff Vogel has been steadily declining since his Exile Days.

Exile was ugly, but incline.
old Avernum was quite a bit popamolized but still enjoyable.
Avadon went full retard aping aspects of Bioware with an abomination of an engine for a cRPG.
nu Avernum continued using the same dumbed down engine.
And this Queen's wish continues using this Avadon/nu Avernum engine.

Only exception to the above is Geneforge. Good luck getting such incline from him ever again.

Aemar

Arcane
$150K Level - Android Version

In the unlikely event we get to this point, all backers will be able to download the full Android version.
I guess getting those extra 70k actually hindered Vogel's plans. He was only hoping to get 30k in order to keep to a minimum the amount of new assets he has to create from scratch for this game. Now he has to go beyond the usual copy/pasting - more money, more work to do.

Drowed

Arcane
Dear god this shit is ugly. I wanted to say that there is hope that at least the combat would be good, but in each new game he simplifies the combat even more. Then there would be the hope that the story and C&C would be good, but the situation is the same as the previous problem.

:negative:

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
I think it's time to stop supporting Jeff, he is becoming more of a parasite in the industry than anything else. This shit is a massive decline from his previous games which were lesser decline from the previous ones. He re-recycles the same old map style in a brand new IP with 100k$ of kickstarter funds, how fucking cheap is that? The art style becomes flat compared to the previous isometric art, more decline.

The game is also blatantly trying to cash in on the success of Pathfinder Kingmaker by copying the game's name, the name's art style and gimmicky fortress system.

He also admits that he chose a crappy art style just so he could easily turn it into a mobile port, seriously fuck Jeff.

Last edited:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ouch, just watched the trailer... as many here know graphics are one of my least concerns when I game but this... this even makes me appreciate the look of Pierre Begue's game*! :deadtroll:

I'm actually really looking forward to KotC2!!

flushfire

Augur
I dunno but visuals look fine to me. I like the clean, crisp look instead of something with layers of after effects like in xulima. It's the tryhard humor (mom has a job for you) that's turning me off.

jungl

Augur
The funny thing is I bet his fortress development will be more entertaining and impactful on gameplay then pillars fortress and pathfinders kingdom building.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Lol at the gfx critics. You are retards par excellence. On one hand you laud the bygone age of exile which had topdown squares, on the other you condemn him for returning to said topdown view.
Gfx are the least of Vogels newer game's problems. Uninteresting character development is.

Drowed

Arcane
I dunno but visuals look fine to me. I like the clean, crisp look instead of something with layers of after effects like in xulima. It's the tryhard humor (mom has a job for you) that's turning me off.

You mean, like what it was in his last games?

He had reached a perfectly acceptable level for the visuals of the games in Avadon (I'm not talking about the gameplay here). And then he simply made a horrible downgrade in the next game. It doesn't make any sense.

ss_51533a212edd42d23cd72f2b3492b5b053bedd5a.1920x1080.jpg

ss_35fc8691db56da15e4d0e237c177841ada1a53c4.1920x1080.jpg

flushfire

Augur
Stylistically I don't see that much of a difference tbh. Palette is similarly toned down, human sprites same, it's just the environments changed from semi-realistic/rendered look to a more... drawn look I guess. And the change to topdown, but it's not that big of deal since the view is still angled. The animations do seem to be worse though. Overall it still looks like his recent games to me, so IDK, not enough of a difference to call it horrible.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Stylistically I don't see that much of a difference tbh. Palette is similarly toned down, human sprites same, it's just the environments changed from semi-realistic/rendered look to a more... drawn look I guess. And the change to topdown, but it's not that big of deal since the view is still angled. The animations do seem to be worse though. Overall it still looks like his recent games to me, so IDK, not enough of a difference to call it horrible.
That's the weird thing, though: Yes, it looks mostly the same, with a slight change of perspective. So... where did the money go?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom