Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are procedural stories the future of RPGs?

Procedural anything is a conspiracy among game devs. It's like a trap they lure other suckers into it. Only devs fall for it, not gamers.

Why? Because gamers like to play things that are made by people, not machine or codes. Only developers would be lured by the "beauty" of procedural anything, be it story, chain quest, world generator, etc...

It aims so precisely at game developers, psychologically, I am surprised they dont recognize it.

Any dev that thinks procedural generation is a good idea should quit making games. They can't comprehend how games work on a higher level.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
One of the main draws of replaying an RPG is seeing how different characters will fare in the same environment. That's what C&C is all about, but also the mechanical differences in the same fights. This also doesn't take into account that hand-crafted things are better because they can go beyond the moment-to-moment. So no, procedurally generated stories aren't the future of RPGs.

Big Wrangle

Make some surreal comedy RPG with procedually generated dialogue nonsense for the NPCs, like Oblivion at its best moments.

Deleted Member 16721

I think procedural gen is part of the future, but not the whole future. You're still going to need pieces being handcrafted in a game like an RPG, or at least a serious RPG/CRPG. But more can be done with radiant questing and level design, yeah. So it's just a part of the future.

Exhuminator

Arcane
A long time ago in the far distant year of 2004, some very smart dudes made a kickass procedurally generated FPS. Now I understand RPGs are quite a bit more complicated (well depending on the developer), but I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that a good procedurally generated RPG is possible. I mean, I love me some roguelikes and they work off that principle. Having story elements, sidequests, and overarching campaign goals be procedurally generated is possible with today's technology already. The trick is making high quality algorithms that will generate entertaining text that maintains a cohesive narrative. I don't think we're far from that at all honestly. Lots of online news articles are already procedurally generated for instance.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
he trick is making high quality algorithms that will generated entertaining text that maintains a cohesive narrative. I don't think we're far from that at all honestly

Dwarf fortress will have this with the 'villains' update that is coming pretty soon.

Dwarf Fortress will be the first game ever to have a 'procedural story'.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Procedural has its uses, but it's mostly a buzzword to attract retarded newfags who:

1. Value quantity over quantity
2. Actually are retarded enough to not realize procedural most of the time means doing the same thing over and over again with some small variations and not "infinite content".

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think procedural stories will be used in most games after a while. The main reason is that companies today are all about finding ways to cut corners and cut costs. If they can release some half assed junk that fools enough people into thinking it is similar to their previous work, then they will do it. I could list 1000 games that are exactly like this. Eventually they will make a story generator and the people who like stories are dumb and childlike anyway, so most of them won't even be able to notice any difference with a procedurally generated story. And those games will still sell well enough that everyone will do it. Procedural worlds, procedural stories, and eventually there will be procedural content too. Kind of like "RPG Maker", companies will just pay a third party to procedurally generate a bunch of quests and locations and shit, and Bethesda or whoever will plop it into their game and sell 100 million copies.

Anyone who disagrees with this, think about GTA5. Do you really think any of that is unique? You could feed 20 crappy movie scripts into a machine and it could mass produce stories based on those fundamentals easily. GTA5 seems exactly like it was made by such a machine. Former bank robber, white collar criminal, struggling with family life after retiring, gets dragged back into the game for one last robbery to pay some debts and settle some scores, like Carlito's Way and a thousand other films. Meanwhile, Trevor is a psychotic nut that sees aliens and wants to kill everyone, like Natural Born Killers and whatnot, and lastly, token black guy, born in the hood, wants to be all gangster n shit and get rich n shit and smoke weed errr day in his mansion n shit.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Nobody is denying it can technically work and be coherent, but a machine can't plan an odyssey, so at most we'll get very basic motivations and plot structures. AAA games are already dried up husks I can't subject myself to, so what they do is beyond irrelevant.

Codex Year of the Donut
Nobody is denying it can technically work and be coherent, but a machine can't plan an odyssey, so at most we'll get very basic motivations and plot structures. AAA games are already dried up husks I can't subject myself to, so what they do is beyond irrelevant.
Machine learning definitely can produce an odyssey.
The entire argument in this thread is "wow, simple algorithms are bad therefore all procgen will forever be bad", you sound like Luddites.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
just ask yourself if procedural stories are the future for any kind of storytelling.

Literature and cinema will plummet to new lows, millenial agenda achieved

:discohitler:

Deleted Member 16721

I also think there's lots of room for emergent stories, personal stories and emergent gameplay like a game like Kenshi or Dwarf Fortress has. It has emergent storytelling in that the pieces meld together in a randomized but unique way that each player will have their own "story" told by the gameplay mechanics and their experience with them. This can often lead to far more interesting results than a typical handmade story in that it makes the game fresh each time you play it, even from session to session. I'd like to see more of this approach with handcrafted pieces fitting together randomly in a proc-gen puzzle, creating the emergent story.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
A machine can do whatever you program it to do. They can easily program it to have a start middle and ending and piece together the specifics with parts of 10000 existing stories fed into it. I wouldn't even be surprised if it was better than most of the stories we get in games now. The bar is so low.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
To me the biggest problem is that it doesn't cost them much to make a story anyway. If they were hiring professional writers for each game then a story generator would be really valuable. But most of the time I think it is an amateur writer at best, usually not even a writer, some programmer or artist that thinks they can write will give it a shot. And that's why you end up with so many weak stories in games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom