Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are procedural stories the future of RPGs?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The matter of fact is, it can work, but it would be like a not-good author who doesn't understand characterization or causal relationships beyond the most basic.

Why? Even the deepest most intricate shiet, feelings or behaviors and whatever, are just data in the end.

That's very wrong, they are highly organized agglomerations of matter. Until we are able to emulate people in all their intricate details down to the fine structure of the universe, any story creation algorithm is just an abstraction layer upon an abstraction layer miles deep. So, fat chance of them able to replicate good human storytelling. You might be able to get them to replicate shitty marketing slogans

user

Savant
Why? Even the deepest most intricate shiet, feelings or behaviors and whatever, are just data in the end.

Are they? Or are they a unique feature of the human experience? People don't act consistently when confronted with unusual circumstances. The mechanics of emotions and thoughts are known biologically, but how we react to them is informed by our whole life and experience up to that point. It's not as simple as "my wife was killed, beep boop, I must have revenge, beeeeep".

Imagine the machine having every possible scenario for any possible situtation ever recorded, observed, or even theorized in its disposal, or at least a huge sample of them. It can learn every state, every condition for that state to appear, every probability, every connection between different states or events. Don't see any obstacle in it convincingly emulating a nearly infinite variety of human beans.

That's very wrong, they are highly organized agglomerations of matter. Until we are able to emulate people in all their intricate details down to the fine structure of the universe, any story creation algorithm is just an abstraction layer upon an abstraction layer miles deep. So, fat chance of them able to replicate good human storytelling. You might be able to get them to replicate shitty marketing slogans

What if they are highly organized agglomerations of matter? All the more reason for it to be potentially inferior to a digital neural network. It's only a matter of time for our brain to be fully charted down to every detail anyway. As for the structure of the universe, it is on another level and I don't see how it is relevant.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As far as RPGs go, down with algorithmic garbage really. Best worlds have been produced painstakingly, by hand.

RPGs, and FPS, and pretty much any genre where level design plays any role whatsoever.

No procedural generation can ever replace purposeful hand-crafted level design, with secrets placed in logical places, encounters tailor-made to be challenging but doable, architecture that looks both cool and believable, etc.

What goes into an RPG dungeon?
Rooms that are arranged in a way that makes sense. A bunch of little backstory elements strewn around for flavor, like a dead adventurer with a diary on him. Encounters in these rooms that are interesting and challenging, rather than the same copypasta over and over. Creative use of traps and secrets that can be detected by paying attention to the environment. Maybe even a bunch of puzzles. Unique items to find after defeating the boss, with cool effects that change your approach to combat when you use them.

What goes into an FPS map?
Complex 3D architecture that looks cool and allows for a lot of vertical movement. Placement of weapon pickups, health, ammo. Placement of enemies to create challenging combat encounters. Placement of traps and secrets, remember how many fucking secrets there were in games like Quake and Unreal?

What goes into a quest?
An open approach with multiple solutions and multiple endings, ideally. Choice and consequence. The option to play through as a diplomat, a thief, or a fighter. Interesting characters that give you some non-generic task to do. Factions that change their opinion on you based on how you act during the quest. A unique, worthwhile reward that doesn't just seem generic but is actually connected to the quest you just did.

Those are all things you need an actively thinking human mind for. A designer who knows his shit, who knows what he wants to do with his dungeon/quest/FPS map and knows how to achieve it. Not just a random combination of several elements, but a purposeful design where every element is at the exact place it needs to be. Not strewn about randomly, but with purpose. And that's what procedural generation can't do. It can't make up a big plan for something and then deliver that with purpose behind every element. An algorithm is not going to think, "I will now work on an ancient abandoned temple constructed by an antediluvian race, where a demon-worshipping cult is trying to resurrect evil antediluvian gods using the rituals they found inscribed in the walls of that temple, and as you explore the place you will first encounter cultists, and the deeper you go the more ancient demons and fish-monsters you will encounter, until finally meeting the high priest surrounded by an army of summoned Lovecraftian horrors; throughout the dungeon you will find little tidbits of information in wall inscriptions, old clay tablets, and murals that give you hints as to why the antediluvian civilization collapsed; in some rooms in the dungeon you will find appropriate special encounters like a young noblewoman from a nearby city being chained to an altar as human sacrifice, and you can free her, or a room where initiate cultists are studying the language of the ancients". No, that's what a human designer who knows what kind of dungeon he wants to make would think. An algorithm would just combine random elements that it's been told will fit together, but it won't do so with any kind of purpose - it will only do so because it's been told "Lovecraftian fish monsters fit well together with Atlantean wall textures".

Human design will always be superior to procedually generated design.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Also, procedural generation cannot understand context. I analyzed that computer chorale a bit more and read how exactly it was done, and I can say that while it does use the most frequent tones that come one after another in Bach's actual chorales, it doesn't really take into account the other voices, leading to rookie mistakes; when exactly it's ok to use exceptions; when to use rarely heard but very striking exceptions; and when to go off the beaten path because it only uses the most frequent instances. Which leads me to the idea the procedural generation doesn't understand context.

Codex Year of the Donut
what people think will happen: procgen will be used to create entire worlds that are dumb
what will actually happen: procgen will be used to intelligently stitch together handcrafted pieces of content

Neanderthal

Arcane
With all larping and such in modern games i'm surprised its not already in use, players don't want much more than to play lets pretend in consequence free renaissance fayre arenas.

I mean you lads have seen modern dungeons, they're straight fucking lines most o time, wi random loot an enemies interspersed.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
what will actually happen: procgen will be used to intelligently stitch together handcrafted pieces of content
Tales of Maj'Eyal already has a handcrafted map, but the dungeon layouts in it are procedurally generated, so this isn't new.

Codex Year of the Donut
Tales of Maj'Eyal already has a handcrafted map, but the dungeon layouts in it are procedurally generated, so this isn't new.
I meant for the game as a whole, not just parts of it.
Diablo 3 and Warframe(and probably others) already use this technique for generating maps from a bunch of handcrafted areas.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
What if they are highly organized agglomerations of matter? All the more reason for it to be potentially inferior to a digital neural network. It's only a matter of time for our brain to be fully charted down to every detail anyway. As for the structure of the universe, it is on another level and I don't see how it is relevant.

The whole idea that you can map the human brain and then just copy it into a digital stratum has been shown to be a deeply flawed idea based on a very flawed understanding of how the human brains works. These days most remaining singularitarians are rightfully regarded as nutjobs. As for the fine structure, I threw that in as there's a lot about human consciousness we don't understand and it may well be tied to that level of reality. Or it might not. We just don't know. And copying human brains (which is not possible, but lets go with the idea) without really understanding what else we are missing, is a terrible stupid idea.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

An actual AI running the show is like having a human dungeon master. Every encounter is balanced just right, taking into account your party composition and coming up challenges that exploit your weaknesses. You'll never end up not getting relevant loot drops.

Your choices will get dynamic consequences that can be tracked for the entirety of the campaign. Content can be generated on the fly to reflect your actions. A story can be written as the game progresses. There is no linearity.

A human designer will never be able to match this.

Whether this will ever become reality is an another question. Unless there is a massive paradigm shift, it'll take decades.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
As far as RPGs go, down with algorithmic garbage really. Best worlds have been produced painstakingly, by hand.

RPGs, and FPS, and pretty much any genre where level design plays any role whatsoever.

-snip-

we don't even have to get specific here. In no human endeavour is procedural "generation" ever a good thing.

What is true is that anything you do is an ongoing process where every action - and inaction - has consequences, and your acts themselves even as you are starting out are the result of processes that were going on before. IOW - the whole term "procedural generation" is meaningless unless we're talking about complete arbitrarity.

Let's take an example of something that isn't considered procedurally generated; a linear JRPG. Welp, as long as that thing qualifies as a game - that is, I have any amount of choice - what I do is an ongoing process that generates specific outcomes that lead to certain reactions on my part which in turn generates more of such specific outcomes. Our JRPG has a basic combat system where I can make choices; attack, defend, magic, item. That's a whole slew of things already; lots of possible actions on my part throughout that combat, even several of them per turn, even if I never get more than 3 spells or 3 different items to use throughout the game. Whatever I do to get past that combat generates specific outcomes; I now have less MP depending on magic use, I now have fewer items depending on how many of what type I used, and I have a certain amount of HP left over depending on the choices I made (among other things). All of this is going to have an effect further down the road. So even if the story progresses linearly, we're talking about an ongoing process here that generates different outcomes depending on my actions.

"Procedural generation" therefore only really means anything if we're talking about arbitrarity. If I simply have choices that affect a game's story, then I already have a procedurally generated story. Factions are one such example. If the 'main storyline' puts an obstacle in my way, and I can overcome that obstacle by siding with 1 of 2 factions, I have already affected the story by my playing; if the choice of factions depends on my actions (e.g. i can offend one of those factions so they close to me), that choice was procedurally generated.

What advocates of procedural generation really seem to demand is arbitrarity of outcome. If the game makes an isolated choice by RNG of wether the end boss I'm facing is going to be a vampire, a werewolf or a giant squid, that's not really procedurally generated, it's arbitrary. For it to not be arbitrary I would have had to head down a specific path throughout the game that would invariably culminate in me facing the vampire/ werewolf/ giant squid again if I followed the exact same route on my next playthrough.

user

Savant

The whole idea that you can map the human brain and then just copy it into a digital stratum has been shown to be a deeply flawed idea based on a very flawed understanding of how the human brains works. These days most remaining singularitarians are rightfully regarded as nutjobs. As for the fine structure, I threw that in as there's a lot about human consciousness we don't understand and it may well be tied to that level of reality. Or it might not. We just don't know. And copying human brains (which is not possible, but lets go with the idea) without really understanding what else we are missing, is a terrible stupid idea.

Since, as you said, we still know too little, you cannot be absolutely certain that the human brain cannot and will not be charted and replicated either, can you?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I meant for the game as a whole, not just parts of it.
Diablo 3 and Warframe(and probably others) already use this technique for generating maps from a bunch of handcrafted areas.

And what is the point of the procedural generation then when you just end up with the same pieces of hand-crafted content stitched together in different combinations? It's still the same content. Instead of "infinite content" you just get the same amount of content, except combined in different random ways. I'd rather have them combined in one, sensible way rather than proc gen slapping them together in different combinations all the time.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I highly doubt that procedural generation will play much of a role in designing RPG narratives for the foreseeable future...

Bethesda has been doing it for more than a decade. Algorithmic forests and mountains, "Radiant" quests, etc.

Azarkon

Arcane
Stories are sequences of events given coherence and meaning by the people who tell them. Key word being people. Machines cannot tell stories, because they are not people, and until they become people - ie, by passing the Turing test - not much will come from pretending that they are.

Machines can, however, generate sequences of events by simulating a set of rules and their logical consequences. This is what emergent content developers should aim for. The machine is not telling a story, in this case, but producing the fabric from which players can spin their own stories. Johnny the Survivor traveling through a randomly generated zombie neighborhood, running low on food and supplies, and then happening upon a family barricaded in their home, whose own reserves he can choose to either take or leave alone, is strong material for a story. But the machine isn't telling it. The player is - to himself. The machine is only responsible for modeling the choices and consequences. That might be a worthy goal for the content industry to pursue, should they choose to pursue it, but it won't replace authors.

laclongquan

Arcane
Actually, procedural stories CAN WORK, with a few caveats.

1. It can work in a MMORPG setting. It can combine the results of many gamers' activities and create a coherent (?) story out of it. That story will be wacky but well.

2. It require that game devs create many scenarios. Some will appear to a gamer depend on both his own action AND server's players' actions. It will be a huge project and we are going to wait for more advances in game development like codings.

3. It also require a huge experiment to see if players can play with such things. Experiement = chance to lose, financially.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
If they were hiring professional writers for each game then a story generator would be really valuable. But most of the time I think it is an amateur writer at best, usually not even a writer, some programmer or artist that thinks they can write will give it a shot. And that's why you end up with so many weak stories in games.
They ARE hiring "professional" writers, but when the programmers gave it a shot in the olden days, the stories came out better.
I am not convinced they are hiring professional writers. And if they are, they are professional writers like a stay at home mom who blogs is a professional writer. The writing on a good TV show, say Breaking Bad, The Wire, etc. is always on a totally different level to writers in gaming. It could be that games are just written that way... to be cliched and dumb because maybe that is what kids like and kids the biggest audience for gaming apparently. But most things I play have really bad stories and even worse dialogue. Games like Kingmaker have more professional writing, yet it is still boring as fuck and incredibly cliched.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
This thread is drowning in cope from wannabe game writers. Sorry, but nobody gives a shit about your meticulously hand-crafted story about elf princesses or whatever the fuck. Emergent stories were the wave of the future 25 years ago and they still are today. Drop your pants and get fucked by Rimworld and games like that where there's more going on than some preachy Japanese asshole railroading you into a 1-dimensional story.

laclongquan

Arcane
Fuck you! Wanting human's actual hands in writing game text and stories is different than being a wannabe game writers.

For one thing, the first is actual demand, the other is just a job.

For another, the first can force people to change their professional behaviour, the other is just receiving a paycheck.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What goes into an RPG dungeon?
Rooms that are arranged in a way that makes sense. A bunch of little backstory elements strewn around for flavor, like a dead adventurer with a diary on him. Encounters in these rooms that are interesting and challenging, rather than the same copypasta over and over. Creative use of traps and secrets that can be detected by paying attention to the environment. Maybe even a bunch of puzzles. Unique items to find after defeating the boss, with cool effects that change your approach to combat when you use them.
Every single thing in that list can be done procedurally, nothing preventing it.
Even puzzles. Though they shouldn't. Fuck artificial puzzles (like plates, levers, word guessing, etc.) in RPGs.

What goes into an FPS map?
Complex 3D architecture that looks cool and allows for a lot of vertical movement. Placement of weapon pickups, health, ammo. Placement of enemies to create challenging combat encounters. Placement of traps and secrets, remember how many fucking secrets there were in games like Quake and Unreal?
Again, all of this can be done procedurally. Secrets, especially. Secrets in these games are usually the results of "hey, there's some unused space", "hey, there's a nice possible shortcut here", "hey, this place lacks something special", etc. All of which can be logically detected.
The problem does lie in the complexity of the architecture, though. A level from a game like Duke Nukem 3D or Blood procedurally generated? Sure. A game like Dishonored? No, would take too long. Though even that would disappear if CPUs become much more powerful.
What I could imagine in the more complex case would be a procedurally generated level for something like Dishonored, but it's more simple and the level designer can flesh it out - to save production time. Might be an interesting experiment to combine both.

What goes into a quest?
A) An open approach with multiple solutions and multiple endings, ideally. Choice and consequence. B) The option to play through as a diplomat, a thief, or a fighter. C) Interesting characters that give you some non-generic task to do. D) Factions that change their opinion on you based on how you act during the quest. E) A unique, worthwhile reward that doesn't just seem generic but is actually connected to the quest you just did.
Everything in this can again be done procedurally.
A) and B) are more the result of core gameplay systems, though. Imagine a quest in which you have to enter a house and get item X. A procedurally generated, realistic house would be naturally compatible with multiple approaches if NPCs can simply be talked to, sneaked around, pickpocketed, killed, bribed, etc. Multiple endings can also be part of a procedurally created quest, absolutely nothing preventing it. This isn't usually done, because even "hand-crafted" quests do not usually feature multiple endings at all.
C) is probably the biggest problem here, which ties into procedural stories being hard to pull off. However, hand-crafted characters (or character-arcs?), procedurally placed in the world would not be a problem.
D) is not a problem, as opinion in the end is almost never more than a score that gets higher or lower depending on how you act. And how you act can be logically checked based on what you do and who you do it with.
E) I really don't see how this would even be a problem in procedural generation.

Those are all things you need an actively thinking human mind for. A designer who knows his shit, who knows what he wants to do with his dungeon/quest/FPS map and knows how to achieve it. Not just a random combination of several elements, but a purposeful design where every element is at the exact place it needs to be. Not strewn about randomly, but with purpose. And that's what procedural generation can't do. It can't make up a big plan for something and then deliver that with purpose behind every element. An algorithm is not going to think, "I will now work on an ancient abandoned temple constructed by an antediluvian race, where a demon-worshipping cult is trying to resurrect evil antediluvian gods using the rituals they found inscribed in the walls of that temple, and as you explore the place you will first encounter cultists, and the deeper you go the more ancient demons and fish-monsters you will encounter, until finally meeting the high priest surrounded by an army of summoned Lovecraftian horrors; throughout the dungeon you will find little tidbits of information in wall inscriptions, old clay tablets, and murals that give you hints as to why the antediluvian civilization collapsed; in some rooms in the dungeon you will find appropriate special encounters like a young noblewoman from a nearby city being chained to an altar as human sacrifice, and you can free her, or a room where initiate cultists are studying the language of the ancients".
Completely wrong.
A sufficiently complex algorithm could do exactly that and "think" exactly like that.

No, that's what a human designer who knows what kind of dungeon he wants to make would think. An algorithm would just combine random elements that it's been told will fit together, but it won't do so with any kind of purpose - it will only do so because it's been told "Lovecraftian fish monsters fit well together with Atlantean wall textures".
Oh, ye of little faith.
Your problem, as usual with this thematic that you do not fully grasp, is that you think algorithms are necessarily only producing something based off a very simple ruleset and cannot be purpose-driven.
Which is simply not true. Imagine procedural generation not as an algorithm producing some randomized level, but as an AI simulation of the thought process of an actual level designer. A level design AI, if you want.
Definitely possible, and I'm not talking about machine learning ala Siri/Alexa here. I think the complexity of that would be about the same complexity as a capable RTS AI, for example.
The only reason this hasn't really been done yet is that usually, procedural generation is used for a much more narrow purpose. And, obviously, because getting such an AI right is very difficult, technically and performance-wise.

But this is a matter of time, only. Before Minecraft, nobody thought anything like it would be possible, either. Now it is the norm.
It is unwise to assume nothing more sophisticated would be possible.

Until someone comes along and produces an algorithm doing all these things you just described, because none of them are out of reach for procedural generation. If something can be done in theory, it will - eventually - be done in practice.
And until then, we'll just have to live with the occasional shitty procedural generation producing very doubtworthy results as well as those producing very good results - and most somewhere in-between. Just like manual generation.

Though for actual OP topic, I think that procedural stories (incl. characters, relations, arcs, etc.) are way more complex than any of the things I talked about above. Mostly because all of that requires way more creativity and cannot for a large part be "logically concluded" automatically.
We'll see awesome procedural levels way before we see awesome procedural stories.

Last edited:

Atrachasis

Augur
Feels like most people here are not keeping up with tech news at all, and have just plainly wrong ideas about what machine learning is.

Check this:

https://arstechnica.com/information...to-the-future-with-openais-deep-fake-text-ai/

They need only a properly trained model (which I'm certain is for sale). Then it generates stories based on a source sentence or paragraph. That's just one application.

Well, have you read the various samples on that page? I am sure that the full, unpublished model might still produce somewhat better output, but at least these samples expose precisely the same weakness as the musical example quoted earlier. Such ML-based AIs can string together words and sentences into an imitation of language, because such information is easily structured and thus can be used for training (and by structured, I do not necessarily imply only supervised training). They work on small scales and seem like the real thing if you only ever read a few sentences at a time, and they might eventually be made to work well for informative, factual, journalistic texts. But they still fail at reproducing any sort of coherent narrative - which is just what this thread is going on about.

Now, I do believe that, theoretically, an AI COULD be trained to learn and then recreate narratives - but it would first require significant human intervention in order to enable it to parse the training data, i.e. to map what is initially just a serialized stream of characters, words, and sentences onto a data model that represents the actual semantic meaning of the text, which humans are able to do only thanks to a lifetime of experiences. It is only at that point that you will have something to feed into your ML algorithm and train it to create a narrative. The initial investment of manpower would be significant. Mind you, even the procedural algorithm that was pointed at earlier as being a moderately successful example, i.e., Dwarf Fortress, is certainly not based on a machine learning algorithm either, but on meticulously crafted templates, i.e., it's an example of a rule-based, rather than ML-based, AI - human ingenuity is still indispensible even to attain this low-hanging fruit. Feature extraction remains a crucial step when working with machine learning algorithms.

What might be realistically conceivable with justiable effort, if you wanted to go the machine learning-based route and wanted to do it right now, would be to "semantically preprocess" training data by using certain keywords to recognize characters, key events, moods etc. in a narrative. You might then end up with something like "chapter[1].characters='protagonist, love interest', chapter[1].mood='foreboding doom', chapter[1].event='assault', chapter[2].characters='protagonist,antagonist', chapter[2].event='battle'... that is something you can then train on. But feeding the entire Project Gutenberg into an ML algorithm without a very complex human-designed preprocessor will not produce a work of literature. And then, again, as a developer, you are faced with the decision: Invest significant effort into developing such a novel technology, or hire some readily available hack to produce a narrative at at least the same level? The 80-20 rule will, for the time being, favor the latter.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Atrachasis Machine-Learning also has the problem that it relies so heavily on accessible data and the ruleset of how to parse it. Remember that Twitter AI that just became a racist troll by browsing Twitter messages? :lol:
Now, when it comes to game writing, we simply do not have that data available in a format that could even be parsed. It's not like a book that can just be "read" start to finish and then processed.
There's no standardized format for game writing.
Neither for any other game development process, btw., which is why I think machine learning cannot really be the future here until someone comes up with a method to, for example, parse all levels designed for all games (in all their various formats, engines, ...).
So, I think very complex rule-based systems are the way to go here. For now, anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom