Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
My memory doesn't extend to the names of characters (or irl people) who didn't grab my attention. So no idea who these people are. I could've easily googled this, though :p

Deleted Member 16721

I am actually about to drop POE2 for bg1 or 2. Should I start with 1?

Yes, so you can experience the best game of the series (IMO) and also be able to later import your character from 1 into 2. BG1 is an all-time great and very fun low-level D&D.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Deadfire has one huge flaw that stops me from replaying it to at least see DLC content I bought at release with season pass.

Year ago I had constant FPS drops and stuttering but kinda hoped that Obsidian's patches or new CPU+GPU will fix it.

Since than I upgraded hardware to the point that SSD is the only thing left from from my old PC, but when I started Deadfire v4.1.2 at February it still **** stutters. General FPS is better but now it crashes every hour or so. Patches is still possibility and big one was promised "very soon" week ago, but right now I am back to playing P:K and Elex.

You need to use an FPS limiter like RivaTuner or nvidia's own integrated limiter in order to eliminate stuttering.

EDIT: Or use normal vsync via control panel, not game one.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Deadfire has one huge flaw that stops me from replaying it to at least see DLC content I bought at release with season pass.

Year ago I had constant FPS drops and stuttering but kinda hoped that Obsidian's patches or new CPU+GPU will fix it.

Since than I upgraded hardware to the point that SSD is the only thing left from from my old PC, but when I started Deadfire v4.1.2 at February it still **** stutters. General FPS is better but now it crashes every hour or so. Patches is still possibility and big one was promised "very soon" week ago, but right now I am back to playing P:K and Elex.

You need to use an FPS limiter like RivaTuner or nvidia's own integrated limiter in order to eliminate stuttering.

EDIT: Or use normal vsync via control panel, not game one.

Limit FPS to 1 so that you have that nice and consistent shit experience. Can't drop fps if there aren't any.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I am actually about to drop POE2 for bg1 or 2. Should I start with 1?
You seem to be a bit of a shitposter so dunno, but whatever. Pretty much everyone will tell you to start with 1, which is a mistake. If you did not play these games before, then you will almost certainly find BG2 much better and if you start with BG1, I'm pretty much 100% certain you will get bored and drop it before reaching the best content. Just play BG2 and don't feel bad if you can't find the will to follow up with its expansion - it's shit.

purpleblob

Savant
I'd say try out BG2 first since its an improvement over first one in almost every aspect. I thought Throne of Bhaal expansion was an worthy finale to the series :)

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I spent almost 15 hours experimenting with options on Nvidia control panel, Special K mod and MSI Afterbutner on release and GPU upgrade. I do not like Deadfire enough to waste another minute on this shit.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I spent almost 15 hours experimenting with options on Nvidia control panel, Special K mod and MSI Afterbutner on release and GPU upgrade. I do not like Deadfire enough to waste another minute on this shit.

...and in those 15 hours did you do what I wrote? Good frame rate cap (or good sync) solves most stuttering issues.

Daidre

Arcane
Was one of the first things I tried. It helped a bit on my old GTX 770, but no luck on GTX 1080. There is pinned post on forum that Obsidian knows about problems with Pascals and "working on it".

Other thing that did wonders was switching off 4/8 Cores on my CPU with Special K mod.
Someone should burn in hell for such engine coding.

pomenitul

Arbiter
Limiting frames doesn't work for everyone. I've tried all suggested fixes and I still get sudden, inexplicable drops every 45 seconds or so, regardless of area. They'll never fix it.

Daidre

Arcane
Deadfire especially hates 1080/Ti and, as I've as seen on steam forum, 2080/Ti inherited the issues. This is in GPU department.

In CPU I previously thought that maybe it is Intel's hyper-treading that causes the problems, but I still get ~ +50% FPS boost when use only half of cores on 9700K.

It never stuttered on Pentium G4600 + GTX 460 on my mom's PC. But load times were driving me crazy.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Maybe in 10 years if someone wants to, they can comfortably play this borderline mediocre game. Good job, Obsidian, you are thinking about the long term.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I've got a 1080 and it runs ... I won't say fine, but acceptably.
I have 580 and it runs very well. Are you telling me to not buy a new one?

Maybe in 10 years if someone wants to, they can comfortably play this borderline mediocre game. Good job, Obsidian, you are thinking about the long term.
:whatho:
And now you hate it....the fuck happened while i was falling asleep in front of my pc??? Am i different dimension?

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Can someone explain to me why there are people in this world who praise this game as the best western cRPG to grace existence since, I don't know, P:T? Because such people do exist, just perhaps not here. What's the appeal of Dumpsterfire?

Lacrymas

Arcane
If you like the system, it's a pretty long and extensive combat simulator with all the DLCs. Probably the most combat-oriented RPG that isn't a blobber ever. Not in terms of quantity, but in terms of focus. At one point, I'm sure they realized only combatfags liked or, let's be real, tolerated PoE1, so they doubled down on that.

Last edited:

Daidre

Arcane
Can someone explain to me why there are people in this world who praise this game as the best western cRPG to grace existence since, I don't know, P:T? Because such people do exist, just perhaps not here. What's the appeal of Dumpsterfire?

I visit Obsidian forums from time to time and there are 2 distinct categories of Deadfire fans:

1. People who like build-making and system in general. I kinda understand appeal, but imho, designing characters for Deadfire is more interesting than playing the game. Also, Obsidian did a pretty good work at pissing them off by nerfing everything remotely fun or powerful they come up with.

2. People who like the writing, worldbuilding and companions. Some even think that Obsidian is setting a new standard for video games as literature. This lot is beyond my comprehension.

Last edited:

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

ash. Ash. ASH! Ashen Maw!

Gosh that is where we left off and of course more has happened since that time of sailing and running errands from port to port and Orange is now level 20 with most everyone else except that blue water wave guy but once they get back into the party I will top them up too and just like in the White March I am cleaning out the map sailing to all the islands and exploring them to remove the black fog, enchanting weapons and armor and tweaking for the end game but how did Orange get to become so powerful and what has happened with the choices she has made you wonder, well there are spoilies ahead so you are warned so let us get to it then okay? Okay!

Ashen Maw was very straight forward and hot omg sooo hot with lava and the heat in the air and another Dragon! :eek: It was awesome to see Eothas too from above along the stone bridges where you can look upon him in awe there were a number of party member quips made during this portion plus Jadaferlas the Ancient but it was underwhelming introduction and encounter but a lot has to do with Orange and her experience talking to dragons before so she is cool, calm and collected during the parlay. Oh and I have still not had an encounter with Sefyra who I let the Adra Dragon put their soul into so maybe there would be different dialog if I had met them already and all the other dragons I've met knew about it somehow. :?

S4WV0zj.jpg

cxba9sv.jpg

rn9M2ly.jpg

Ytvwisg.jpg

1OyaLmW.jpg

Eothas saves Orange and the party from the big volcanic explosion and upon our return to Neketaka we all had a big discussion where even my lovesome shows up and all the big players are represented but I was surprised to see the Royal Deadfire Company since I killed any and all who attacked us. Oh! And Paligenia left the party too for good I guess Orange ruffled too many of her feathers! :hahano: :hahano: And then what? Sailing and completing some quests, crossing t's and dotting i's. Some snippets of our journey.

- The gathering in Neketaka after the events in Ashen Maw.

TfxjzfW.jpg

- Clearing out Crookspur for my lovesome and freeing the slavers which also made Queen Onekaza II happy. :hug:

3CwFDZt.jpg

- Having fun taking care of the Royal Deadfire Company since they would not stop attacking us so Orange stormed into their headquarters.

oL46xih.jpg

2BGkbOF.jpg

- Another gathering but this time a power play in the Vallian Trading Company where things just did not go very well for Director Castol.

dg6nDQ1.jpg

- Exploring many of the strange places while uncovering the black fog and uncovering oddities and magical items.

yvVnP2X.jpg

L2fXxar.jpg

T4iDNjL.jpg

LQ6M7SS.jpg

3K8Z2EP.jpg

GtLeUA0.jpg

vkTFPW5.jpg

0J6zWrg.jpg

Z9cGgdR.jpg

Brn1awE.jpg

GOYFesl.jpg

UX0Ykku.jpg

So now Orange is all prepped with her ship because all the exploring saved up the gold to buy the best sails and the best hull and Orange is captain to 11 crew members still with the same ship from the start of the game :salute:. With only a few bounties left to take care of the next leg before sailing to Ukaizo Orange will now be starting on the new added story content but not the fighting pit one because I am not interested in that just more places to explore and unravel.

- What Orange and the party will be sinking their teeth into on the Easter long weekend! :cool:

7xOp5NW.jpg

hwZGKIT.jpg

Prime Junta gosh ofc I am having fun this world has so much history they just added to it from the first game with more books to read and lore in the item descriptions and I hope you are enjoying it as much as I am. :hug:

Thanks,
Sherry

Lacrymas

Arcane
Innocence is only attractive for a very short period of time. Especially if it comes with opinions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom