Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - action adventure from Respawn Entertainment

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
"I know everything based on a 90 second trailer with 5 lines of dialog."

Neanderthal

Arcane
Last time I played Jedi Outcast, I finished it for 15 h and 6 min, playing on the hardest difficulty. I prefer not to judge the just-announced game, I would like to retain some optimism of it being at least decent.

I am still irritated by the "trust only the Force" bit; it is ridiculous to make such a proclamation all things considering, when it is precisely the Force which fuels both the "dark" and the "light" side, and the "dark" side has decimated the Jedi everywhere, and even children hoping to become Jedi.

Especially when force told em what it were going to do, that prophecy about balance on force worked exactly as it said: One Sith Master and student, one Jedi Master and student remain, perfectly Sawyered.

Kreia were only one speaking sense, why trust this binary and arbitrary force that's playing humanity against each other for its own sick amusement.

Zibniyat

Arcane
Yes, just like in the movies, as far as I know the Republic existed for at least a millennium with no serious threats to its existence, the Jedi enjoyed power and influence and had their elaborate Temple on the planet Coruscant which was the heart of the Republic and much of the Galaxy. So, on the one side there are countless Jedi, their apprentices and trainees, whilst on the other - a single pair of Sith Lords? It is obvious that the "balance" there means culling of the Jedi, not further increasing their power and grip on the Galaxy. And balance indeed was restored, finally the "dark" side had a share of the Republic, the influence, and part in shaping the lives of billions up to and including annihilating them in an instance (Alderaan, and whatever that new planet and its satellites or moons in the Episode VII is called).

Balance here means, after all, the "co-existence" of both evil and good... but not peaceful coexistence, which is impossible by definition. And it's questionable if the "light" side is truly good.

J1M

Arcane
Looks like less money went into that trailer than a trailer for one of their SWTOR patches. :lol:

deuxhero

Arcane
Last time I played Jedi Outcast, I finished it for 15 h and 6 min, playing on the hardest difficulty. I prefer not to judge the just-announced game, I would like to retain some optimism of it being at least decent.

I am still irritated by the "trust only the Force" bit; it is ridiculous to make such a proclamation all things considering, when it is precisely the Force which fuels both the "dark" and the "light" side, and the "dark" side has decimated the Jedi everywhere, and even children hoping to become Jedi.

And just how utterly deceptive every single prophecy from the Force is. I can think of ONE in the entire EU that actually went as planned (Yoda leaving a bunch of Jedi learning material with the witches for Luke to stumble upon when he was rebuilding), and I'm not even sure that was because of a prophecy or foresight.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

And just how utterly deceptive every single prophecy from the Force is. I can think of ONE in the entire EU that actually went as planned (Yoda leaving a bunch of Jedi learning material with the witches for Luke to stumble upon when he was rebuilding), and I'm not even sure that was because of a prophecy or foresight.
One could argue that the Force is not making deceptive prophecies, it's the Force users who interpret the Force in different ways. Sometimes they interpret it correctly, sometimes they don't. Afterall the Force is not a living being who speaks to someone using a clearcut language. The users get feelings and premonitions from the Force, and they try to understand them in their own ways.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yes, just like in the movies, as far as I know the Republic existed for at least a millennium with no serious threats to its existence, the Jedi enjoyed power and influence and had their elaborate Temple on the planet Coruscant which was the heart of the Republic and much of the Galaxy. So, on the one side there are countless Jedi, their apprentices and trainees, whilst on the other - a single pair of Sith Lords? It is obvious that the "balance" there means culling of the Jedi, not further increasing their power and grip on the Galaxy. And balance indeed was restored, finally the "dark" side had a share of the Republic, the influence, and part in shaping the lives of billions up to and including annihilating them in an instance (Alderaan, and whatever that new planet and its satellites or moons in the Episode VII is called).

Balance here means, after all, the "co-existence" of both evil and good... but not peaceful coexistence, which is impossible by definition. And it's questionable if the "light" side is truly good.
That's not actually true in fact, at least that's not based on the original concept of the Force. In the original concept of the Force there is no Light and Dark Sides which need to be balanced, there is only Dark Side of the Force and the Force itself, and Dark Side is especially that which needs to be purged because it in itself is a disturbance in the Force, it’s unnatural and corruptive. Unnatural is a key word here. That the Force, previously unitary force, has a Light Side and a Dark Side, and that they are somewhat equal in potential or at least are equal halves of the same equation, is an idea that originated in the EU and is, to put it simply, a dilution of the original concept with Gnostic/Eastern philosophical tendencies, to appeal to the masses who like their hamburger-Buddhism. The word Light Side is never uttered in movies which were steered by George Lucas not by omission but for a specific reason, in the original vision there was no Light Side.

Later writers did built some interesting stuff based on this mutation of the original concept, Avellone with his Kreia being the chief among them of course, but one must remember that’s a fruit of a deconstruction of highly morphed primal idea. In the original vision the Force was a natural force of life, good and bad (that’s why Jedi were supposed to be passive and stoic and that’s why later Light Side was simplified as such), and the Dark Side was a product of usage, not even abuse but simply usage with intent, of the Force, which shouldn’t be done, was highly corruptive and, how Sheev had put it, unnatural.

New movies in this aspect are direct continuation not of original movies but of EU, up to eleven at that.

Such statements do make sense when you consider that they all originate from original Lucas movies, in which trusting in the Force was a legit way of thinking about it - trusting in the Force could not led one astray, because Force was a natural part of life, unlike the Dark Side, which came from fear of life (of death especially).

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks like less money went into that trailer than a trailer for one of their SWTOR patches. :lol:

That's the difference between a CGI cinematic and one done by stitching together pieces of in-game cinematics. And since that type of trailer is closer to the actual content, I'd it work better to sell the game, even if it's not as impressive.

Zibniyat

Arcane

That's not actually true in fact, at least that's not based on the original concept of the Force. In the original concept of the Force there is no Light and Dark Sides which need to be balanced, there is only Dark Side of the Force and the Force itself, and Dark Side is especially that which needs to be purged because it in itself is a disturbance in the Force, it’s unnatural and corruptive. Unnatural is a key word here. That the Force, previously unitary force, has a Light Side and a Dark Side, and that they are somewhat equal in potential or at least are equal halves of the same equation, is an idea that originated in the EU and is, to put it simply, a dilution of the original concept with Gnostic/Eastern philosophical tendencies, to appeal to the masses who like their hamburger-Buddhism. The word Light Side is never uttered in movies which were steered by George Lucas not by omission but for a specific reason, in the original vision there was no Light Side.

Later writers did built some interesting stuff based on this mutation of the original concept, Avellone with his Kreia being the chief among them of course, but one must remember that’s a fruit of a deconstruction of highly morphed primal idea. In the original vision the Force was a natural force of life, good and bad (that’s why Jedi were supposed to be passive and stoic and that’s why later Light Side was simplified as such), and the Dark Side was a product of usage, not even abuse but simply usage with intent, of the Force, which shouldn’t be done, was highly corruptive and, how Sheev had put it, unnatural.

New movies in this aspect are direct continuation not of original movies but of EU, up to eleven at that.

Such statements do make sense when you consider that they all originate from original Lucas movies, in which trusting in the Force was a legit way of thinking about it - trusting in the Force could not led one astray, because Force was a natural part of life, unlike the Dark Side, which came from fear of life (of death especially).

Well thank you for the elaborate explanation, I will not try to argue against what you are saying since I remember very little of the OT, but I've decided to watch all the Star Wars movies again, starting with The Phantom Menace, and for some reason I've completed half of the Episode VII The Force Awakens. After completing the OT, I may be able to see the distinction you are speaking of here.

J1M

Arcane

That's the difference between a CGI cinematic and one done by stitching together pieces of in-game cinematics. And since that type of trailer is closer to the actual content, I'd it work better to sell the game, even if it's not as impressive.
If you think that trailer is in game content then you must be really looking forward to your first E3.

Love

Cipher
Too bad the corporate design has to be kept intact for the franchise. Reading the announcement I had the visiuals of the old trilogy and Jedi Outcast in mind instead of this modern revamp. What's so bad about our old black and white stormtroopers?

Makes me wonder how Raven Software got the job back then. Would it be too risky for the brand value to let a studio like they once were take a shot at it? It's not like they need a big budget for marketing a Star Wars game. Then you can still save some more on the cinematics.

George Lucas is certainly no Tolkien. The original movies had a more political origen with rebels in an empire and the manifestation of evil in the form of Darth Vader. The exploration of the force and the place of the Jedis in the galaxy has mostly sprung from the new movies and with the modern times the temptation is apparently too tempting to relavitise the whole concept a bit.

Even people not familiar with Star Wars thought the obivious foreshadowing of Qui-Gon Jinn's promise of Anakin bringing balance to the force meant, that he was going to empower the Siths since the Jedis reigned supreme. But with your spin on it, Qui-Gon's decision to bring Anakin in could mean he saw Anakin balancing both sides in him. As Yoda explains the Jedi does not let himself be ruled by passion because that leads to the Dark Side.
Which writer could then resist to give the Siths "good motives" by experimenting with the force to bring the dead back to live?

Now that I think of it: Is Anakin an analogy to mass migration into the West? He is from some criminal desert planet after all and brings the whole Republic down once he is taken in by this tiny elite circle...

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Why can't we get away from Yavin Era as far as possible? It's been done to death and beyond.
It would be worth if the Extended universe of the old was still a thing, theres so much potential in the early republic era and jedi/sith/mandalorian conflicts and civil wars. Another thing i wish then made was a series with only the trailer mini histories animations of kotor online.
also to complement i refuse to acknowledge the new stupid extended universe by disney (minus the thrawn 2 new books, then are cool was the "classic trillogy").

Frozen

Arcane
That is one disgusting stupid video pandering to <17yo crowd.

Its almost like its a JRPG

Parents should stop giving kids money to spent on trash like this, that would teach EA

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Heard no MTX, single player, and it has lightsaber combat.

Likely :d1p:

Then I watched that trailer....

So much for being hyped for this one

:negative:

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Funny that there was no such problem with the protagonists of the new SW trilogy and Rogue One who both look like basic bitch white beckies, how about a womunz of colour XD

DeepOcean

Arcane
And I find it hilarious is seeing white male journos whining there are white male protagonists on games, people that are racist against their own race should kiss a shotgun and say goodbye, they don't deserve living. If they hate white dudes, they should start with themselves and make the world a better place.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
2000s-era single player linear cinematic story-driven action games are now so rare that their terminology is being thrown around like a nostalgic buzzword. It's like how an RPG Kickstarter back in 2012 would keep finding excuses to mention that it's turn-based.
On the contrary, they are some of the best selling and most award winning games these last console generations... Uncharted, last of us, God of War, they single handedly saved the ps3 and made the ps4 a power house in terms of sales.

cosmicray

Savant
2000s-era single player linear cinematic story-driven action games are now so rare that their terminology is being thrown around like a nostalgic buzzword. It's like how an RPG Kickstarter back in 2012 would keep finding excuses to mention that it's turn-based.
On the contrary, they are some of the best selling and most award winning games these last console generations... Uncharted, last of us, God of War, they single handedly saved the ps3 and made the ps4 a power house in terms of sales.
I think it's best to note that these example are Sony-exclusives, which were given lots of resources and marketing budget. I think they go into "rare" category here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom