Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ubisoft is the new, more successful version of Bethesda

vota DC

Augur
Ubisoft isn't bigger than Bethesda anyway? It is more comparable with EA, they don't have rpg only, they even own HOMM franchise and they can't profit from there.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Just yesterday in Shoutbox Porky tried to convince me to play this game. He's also tried to convince me to play Zelda: Legends of the Wild or whatever the hell it's called.

I've learned not to listen to Porky.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Bethesda games used to push the boundaries of what was possible in pc gaming. Daggerfall, Morrowind, hell, even Oblivion were revolutionary in terms of technology and visual presentation. Now where has all the ambition gone?
They probably sell a lot more on consoles so that is what these games have to be designed for. No point designing for powerful PCs if consoles couldn't run it. You can mod Skyrim now to not even require loading into cities, you just open the door and carry on like one big open world. They could have done that in the original game but the hardware of consoles can't cope.

I can live with lower tech games, but I am annoyed by how dumb and simple these games are. I wished games like Dragons Dogma could get bigger to provide some competition for Bethesda so they would stop being lazy and getting away with it. If Witcher was a regular series, and Dragons Dogma and Dark Souls, Bethesda would make far more interesting games. But without any competition and 20 million people buying their shit no matter what they do, they don't even need to try.

passerby

Arcane
Still better than Dark Elf models in Morrowind, or the NPCs with pots on their head in Skyrim. Or Radiant AI TM.

Dark elves design was fine, some head models even looked great, other races had more prosperian looking ones.

Bucket on head actually demonstrated that AI used true line of sight, with dynamic objects included.
Show me a game when ai was coded to take a bucket off, there is none because in other games you can't hung a bucket on NPCs heads in the first place.
As funny as the meme was, there was really nothing wrong with it, just don't exploit ai this way if it breaks your immersion.

I don't claim that Bethesda games are great, but these two are actually non issues.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I gotta say I liked Assassin's Creed better when it wasn't an RPG. When it was about sneaking in and taking your target out with a single unexpected stab, rather than gathering phat loot and perks to keep up with level-scaling enemies.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
They probably sell a lot more on consoles so that is what these games have to be designed for. No point designing for powerful PCs if consoles couldn't run it. You can mod Skyrim now to not even require loading into cities, you just open the door and carry on like one big open world. They could have done that in the original game but the hardware of consoles can't cope.

PC Skyrim sold like gangbusters. All consoles together probably sold more, but still. I think it's much more about developing for the lowest common denominator, rather than ignoring the PC specifically. Games could be a lot better if designed for the Xbox One X as well, rather than the base PS4.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Not exactly. I am saying that if you are ok with playing shallow stuff (kind of like it's ok to eat fast food sometimes or watch a mindless action movie), then Ubisoft is much better at it now than Bethesda.
Nope. I'll take Skyrim over rinse-and-repeat AssCreed games.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Fallout 4 is a much better RPG than AC:Odyssey. And that says a lot about how good AC:Odyssey is as a RPG.

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
I wished games like Dragons Dogma could get bigger to provide some competition for Bethesda so they would stop being lazy and getting away with it.

So much yes. Would kill for a Dragons Dogma game with Co-op (NOT MMORPG BULLSHIT), that game was so good.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Ubisoft Montreal has Canceled an Unannounced Three Year Project

While many games get announced and released, there are still many more left behind the curtain, canceled before the public ever learns of their existence. One game we may not know the story behind, at least not for quite some time, is of an unannounced Ubisoft Montreal game that has been canceled after three years in development. The news was broken by Louis de Carufel on Twitter, a graphics programmer for Ubisoft Montreal. Louis, who worked on both Watch Dogs and its sequel, said the project had been in the works for three years. He also did share some good news: while 200+ employees were working on the mystery game, absolutely none of them were laid off. Instead all 200 were assigned to one of 15+ other active projects at Ubisoft, with the employees even choosing which ones they wanted to work on.

I just learned that the project I’ve been working on for the past 3 years has been cancelled. This is tough news because I’ve been working with all these people for around 7 years, during which we have shipped both Watch_Dogs and Watch_Dogs 2.

— Louis de Carufel (@SpaceTangent) December 20, 2019

So what do we know about the unannounced game? Louis hasn’t shared many details and even admits on Twitter he’s not allowed to talk about it much. However, Kotaku journalist Jason Schreier took to ResetEra to share a little bit about what he knew of the game. According to Schreier, it was an original IP that was best described as “Destiny-like.” He also said it wasn’t related at all to Pioneer, the canceled Ubisoft title who’s trailer was a focal point for one of the side quests in Watch Dogs 2. Finally, he noted that it likely wasn’t a Splinter Cell game, if only because he’s pretty sure there isn’t one in the works at Ubisoft right now. While Schreier has been known to have insider information, all of his comments are secondhand, so take them with a grain of salt.

While we don’t know about the game itself, we may know why it was canceled. After the failure of Ghost Recon Breakpoint, and to a lesser extent The Division 2, Ubisoft has taken a step back to reassess their current projects. One of the reasons they believed those games failed was because they were too similar to one another (and other games). As such, they’ve recently been having developers pitch why they felt their games were unique. Considering “Destiny-like” is a term that can loosely describe both Breakpoint and The Division 2 (in regards to the looter aspect), perhaps Ubisoft didn’t think another open-world looter-shooter was a good idea at the time.

Ubisoft is really in deep shit.

Not.AI

Learned
Could just be a historical thing. Path dependence. Nothing actually to do with demand or the market.

To do quality you need more people. To get more people you need at least one big hit before you do quality. Woops.

It's a catch-22.

You can't do quality unless you have a hit without quality previously. But getting a hit without quality is actually much harder if you are small. You can't do quantity either. That's also expensive.

The people who prefer and do quality well are also typically not the same people who do quantity well. But to do quality you first need a hit.

Most people who get a hit doing quantity continue doing quantity. They are not the people who prefer quality over quantity. The people who prefer quality over quantity, however, can't do it. They did not get a hit yet.

People buy games that are available. They can't buy games that don't exist. These games are not available. They buy games that do exist and these are nearly all quantity over quality.

Developers get the idea that quantity over quality is what people want. People, however, don't want anything. They take what they can get. Because they are bored and something is better than nothing. And quantity is not bad. Merely could be way better.

Alphons

Cipher
it was an original IP that was best described as “Destiny-like.”

Looks like nothing of value was lost (unless it turned into an Anthem-tier trainwreck).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom