Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

your 5 (6) essential RPGs

Exhuminator

Arcane
Sticking to CRPGs only:

Arx Fatalis
Deus Ex
Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game
Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel
Quest for Glory II: Trial by Fire

(Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines)

Dedup

Augur
1: Pool of Radiance
2: Quest for Glory 1 (EGA version)
3: Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
4: Might and Magic 6
5: Baldur's Gate

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Pool of Radiance
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Secret of the Silver Blades
Pools of Darkness
Gateway to the Savage Frontier

Gold-Box Pick: Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures (with mods)

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
RPGs are mostly shit and some are ok at best. Also they are all more or less the same so if you like BG2 then TOEE and a bunch of others are basically the same game but with different story faggery going on. I pity the RPG genre because it means well but never has the budget or interest from the public to get to where it is heading.

That there are some I really respect for doing so much with so little.

Wiz8, it is just weirdly good. It frustrates me because it is so repetitive, but it does a good job of most things. It has a big world that is interesting to explore, the layout of areas is well designed, the starter area is perfect, the combat has some depth and the character building has lots of depth. Lots of characters to talk to, not too much story and at least it dared to be different with the sci fi stuff. This game is like a holy relic of gaming and deserves respect.

Betrayal at Krondor, ditto above more or less. Too much reading pisses me off, but mostly this game is a masterpiece.

EotB2, this is quite simple and shallow in terms of combat and character building, but the world design is some of the best I've ever seen, and the game design in general, having a big scary no rest level, and how creepy it gets as you go higher up the tower. Also to me this is the best story in any game ever, because the whole thing is barely more than a sentence. Also the simplicity and lack of depth just makes it good for newbies or youngens. Also the atmosphere was amazing.

BG2, probably the best of all. Except maybe Fallout.

Fallout, I don't like it but it is maybe the best RPG ever made.

Icewind, can't remember which one I liked the most, probably the second one. I liked this games a lot though because they were focused mostly on the combat which was pretty good.

NWN, deserves respect for what it did with the editor, entire campaign making in the hands of the public, also one of the expansions was really great. I think maybe my most fun in an RPG.

FFT, console rpgs are annoying and childish but this one was really good because of the classes and combat and how finely tuned the battles are.

Pool of Radiance / Dungeon Master, I don't wanna play either of them but without them I doubt most RPGs would even exist.

KOTC, I enjoyed this, maybe more than any other RPG, and it is so tiny and low budget. But it does everything right.

Kingmaker, it has a lot of flaws but a proper RPG in this day and age is a miracle and people should support it. I might have mentioned DoS instead but DoS2 pissed me off.

Aarklash Legacy and Fall of the Dungeon Guardians, little indie games made by 1 person with a low budget yet they do a better job of an RPG than 99% of other RPGs.

Summoner, I can barely remember this at all, I played it once about 20 years ago but I remember it impressed me

Efe

Erudite
you dont like fallout but consider it best rpg ever? how does that logic work?
fallout
arcanum
m&m6
morrowind
kingmaker

also i wouldnt save a gold box game

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
you dont like fallout but consider it best rpg ever? how does that logic work?
I have a brain, so I can judge things on how they are, whether they suit my taste or not. "It iz awsum becuz I liek it" is the kind of thinking a lot of you should really try to grow out of, and if you can't do that, at least stop crapping up the internet with your posts.

Efe

Erudite
aren't you doing opposite of what you're saying?
you have a taste but you ignore it and declare something you dont enjoy as best thing ever?
entire topic is about "your preference" and you just surrendered yours, which makes every single letter you typed on this topic a waste of time.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Roguelkes are a subgenre of CRPG - right? Let's go:
1. CataclysmDDA - roguelike-ish/rpg-ish. Because it's one of my favourite games ever.
2. DCSS - a build from a few years ago. My first real roguelike, nostalgia + it's good + it's one of the major titles in the genre
3. UnrealWorld - roguelike-ish/rpg-ish. Also survival and historical setting. What's not to like.
4. Caves of Qud - haven't played it that much so far but what I did play I liked very much.
5. Dwarf Fortress - adventure mode is roguelike-ish/rpg-ish enough. And this massive monument to creative autism has to be preserved!
6. No Gold Box roguelikes so I'll go with... say ADOM.

If God wont allow the above treachery then let's go:
1. Jagged Alliance 2 - because it's one of the best CRPGs and best games ever made!
2. and 3. Fallout + Fallout 2 - because they're very good games and they're both post-apo which I like a lot.
4. Darklands - it has it's flaws but it's probably the best damn "historical" CRPG ever made.
5. Wizardry 7 - because I played this thing for dozens of hours and went quite far but never actually finished it. That's my only chance. Also it's a great game. And only fantasy one on the list. And even this one is not pure fantasy but has SF elements. :D Could be replaced with Grimoire.

6. I only ever played Pool of Radiance but Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday sounds much more interesting - being SF. SF > fantasy every single time.

Deleted Member 16721

1. CataclysmDDA - roguelike-ish/rpg-ish. Because it's one of my favourite games ever.
2. DCSS - a build from a few years ago. My first real roguelike, nostalgia + it's good + it's one of the major titles in the genre
3. UnrealWorld - roguelike-ish/rpg-ish. Also survival and historical setting. What's not to like.

How hard are these games to get into? I'm interested in them but it seems like you need to know a million keyboard hot keys and tons of information to play effectively.

Martyr

Arcane

I've been playing this one on and off for years. imo it gets even better if you "remove" part of the roguelike experience: just copy good save files and paste them into the main folder whenever you die. goodbye, permadeath!

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Fallout, I don't like it but it is maybe the best RPG ever made.
I said what I liked, you are incredibly dumb, even for an obvious millennial.

i am not your enemy here. you are fighting yourself
I talked about other games that I did like, you need to learn to read basic English instead of trying to find an angle to criticize in a post you are too dumb to even understand, all because you are a no life loser on the internet.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

How hard are these games to get into? I'm interested in them but it seems like you need to know a million keyboard hot keys and tons of information to play effectively.
I wouldn't say "million" but first question is - Have you played seriously a traditional roguelikes before? If not then DCSS is actually not a bad way to start, I know I did. It has some convenience features so it's not that bad.
Mind that I'm not really a great roguelike player or an expert. I only started to like the genre like half dozen years ago, I beat a few but even now I actually prefer games that aren't your most classical roguelikes but stuff like CataclysmDDA which doesn't follow classic formula to the letter.

Deleted Member 16721

I like roguelikes but I've never really played a "proper" one like NetHack or ADOM. Not enough to really know what I'm doing. But I'd be interested in learning one of those games and playing it because it seems like it'd be my thing. I am buying Dwarf Fortress as soon as it releases on Steam as well, which also seems like another daunting one.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I like roguelikes but I've never really played a "proper" one like NetHack or ADOM. Not enough to really know what I'm doing. But I'd be interested in learning one of those games and playing it because it seems like it'd be my thing. I am buying Dwarf Fortress as soon as it releases on Steam as well, which also seems like another daunting one.

Don't bother with CDDA, the whole point of the game is to figure out how to play it and once you do it's no longer fun.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Rogelikes are really shitty. They have no content and can get away with it because people play for a few hours and then die and then repeat the first levels over and over. They are also mindlessly repetitive, even compared to RPGs. Tome4 is mostly an exception though, mostly.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Why you disagree, what roguelike has plenty of content and it is not mindlessly repetitive?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom