Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Prime Junta

Give the guy a chance to actually participate in full production of a good project before calling him out, he's earned the right to be trusted if nothing else. Between new Star Wars game and Dyling Light, seems like he finally made a jump from human stretch goal for indie games into big projects worthy of his reputation. We'll just have to wait and see.

I haven't given up hope on him. He's the only reason I have the tiniest spark of anticipation for the new Star Wars game.

That's nothing to do with being disappointed with his work in recent years however.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It just shows the difference in writing skillz!

It shows that he was out of touch with the rest of the team.
The team was out of touch with the themes of the game. Only MCA's characters, Durance and the Grieving Mother, were tied into the main setting questions. If they seemed out of place, it just goes to show how terrible and short-sighted the narrative design has been in PoE.

Latro

Arcane
Preservin'

I’m sorry but fuck him. He was kicked out because he was constantly drunk and high on ecstasy in the office and refused to write for the games they were contractually obligated to produce. I’m tired of the world sucking his dick because he worked on a few good games, which were majority written by other people.

Yes their executive management team had issue, mistakes were made, but he needs to get over Obsidian and move the fuck on, they clearly have.
).
Dem's fightin' words. MCA's main complaint was that they threw out months of work which drove him to the point of tears.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Potential drama. Not sure if popcorn worthy yet though. I rate it:

rating_mca.gif
rating_mca.gif
out of
rating_mca.gif
rating_mca.gif
rating_mca.gif
rating_mca.gif
rating_mca.gif
so far.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Eh, Nok Nok is merely alright. And I like how no one ever mentions Erritis.
Erritis, while alright, actually fell behind meta loli with godrock who was more meta, had more interactive writing and more C&C.

Durance was really good - the only old school Obsidian quality writing in the game, close enough to MoTB. Nok-Nok was just ok, sorta like "if BG2 had better writing" thing.

Also shouldn't we talk about, well, not-System Shock thing?

Prime Junta

havent read a single word of the past 3 pages can someone give me the cliff notes on this drama

Reddit anon sez MCA was leeching off Obsidz while high on E and is butthurt for being fired for it. Hilarity ensues.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Rhin was the only good thing about the whole TTON clusterfuck.

It's funny how a legit accomplished novelist comes in, he likely has no idea about game design and still wipes the floor with all the legendary RPG superstars.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Anyone who hasn't been disappointed in MCA's output over the past several years needs to have
fanboy.png
tattooed onto their dick.

Please. He has done nothing that smacks of bad writing. Less than his form in KOTOR 2 or PST, maybe. But bad? Definitely not. You sound like you are butthurt.

Deadfire >>>>>>>>>>>> anything avellone worked on since he left obsidian

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Anyone who hasn't been disappointed in MCA's output over the past several years needs to have
fanboy.png
tattooed onto their dick.

Please. He has done nothing that smacks of bad writing. Less than his form in KOTOR 2 or PST, maybe. But bad? Definitely not. You sound like you are butthurt.

Deadfire >>>>>>>>>>>> anything avellone worked on since he left obsidian

I almost inclined to agree. However I do like Kingmaker a lot, so can't fully agree.

Last edited:
Preservin'

I’m sorry but fuck him. He was kicked out because he was constantly drunk and high on ecstasy in the office and refused to write for the games they were contractually obligated to produce. I’m tired of the world sucking his dick because he worked on a few good games, which were majority written by other people.

Yes their executive management team had issue, mistakes were made, but he needs to get over Obsidian and move the fuck on, they clearly have.

I used be friends with him, literally signed an affidavit for his marriage (his wife lived with me when she first got to the states after a brief stint at a Disney program in Florida). I’m just tired of him bad mouthing a studio I have friends still at. He’s not hurting the executive management, he’s hurting the employees at this point by tarnishing their reputation.

Also, he’s doing amazing things, grow the fuck up and move on from it.

His wife is from Australia and she’s great, but when there’s a marriage like that you need to have witnesses validate the relationship and sign a statement, I was one of two that I know of.
He’s not a bad person, but he’s like a high school ex that can’t get over the past.

He was drunk and or high as hell when he kept writing in that thread. No proof on that, but a guess based on how ridiculous it was.

Aside from us day drinking and him going back to the office fucked beyond belief? That’s how I know. He’s also required to have a handler at Dragoncon now because of his drug and alcohol problem. Literally missed his panel and then stumbled into someone else’s and stole the mic. They no longer welcome him back unless he has a handler to stick with him and keep him out of trouble.

Some friend!

Surely there's more people who can discuss the Dragoncon incident. I mean a crowd of people had to see that, right?

Edit: Apparently this was something that may or may not have happened in 2013 and a cursory glance shows no one mentioning it at all. Sounds suspicious. Then again DragonCon is one big nerd orgy and I suppose there could be a "What happens there stays there" policy (which this guy is breaking :P).

haha take that codex.

Your false god is a drunk junkie who cannot into writing anymore.

At this point he just a glorified PR man.

Lol codex keep on sucking his dick and make excuses to do so.

Looks like with Fagass Cuckhard, Colon McCuck and Autist Balance Sawyer Obsidian is full of incompetent dipshits with issues.

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
Judging by the amount of posts from Chris from the past few months: friendship ended with RPG Codex, now Twitter is his best friend.

2house2fly

Magister
Less than his form in KOTOR 2 or PST, maybe.

Precisely. He hasn't written anything genuinely memorable since OWB, and for a writer of his calibre, that is really fucking disappointing.

I am sorry but I have to disagree. Alpha protocol characters were written very well. Steven Heck happens to be the best character I read about in recent gaming history. Did he not also write Kaelyn the Dove from MoTB? But I may be wrong about that. Not to mention, Durance, nok-nok and Erritis.
Alpha Protocol was before OWB

just

Liturgist
you'll never get shitfaced drunk with chris every fucking day, with addition to poppin X and other drugs.
life's not fair.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Lol yeah I am stalking his posts on reddit and it's a 7-year old account of someone who seems to be IT professional iving in California. So whoever is pressing him for proof in that thread right now, maybe you should consider what happens if he actually posts one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom