Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

XIII - remake of the 2003 FPS

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.playmagic.com.mt/xiii

https://af.gog.com/game/xiii_remake?as=1649904300

Not published by Ubisoft, but by other French publisher Microids (Syberia series). Developed by Malta-based developer named PlayMagic.

http://www.microids.com/xiii-a-remake-of-the-thrilling-cel-shading-fps-is-in-the-works/

XIII: A REMAKE OF THE THRILLING CEL-SHADING FPS IS IN THE WORKS!
XIII’S QUEST FOR IDENTITY WILL START AGAIN NOVEMBER 13TH, 2019 ON PLAYSTATION 4, XBOX ONE, NINTENDO SWITCH, PC AND MAC

Paris – April 18th, 2019
– Microïds and PlayMagic Ltd unveil today a teaser for the remake of the cult classic XIII, the cel-shading FPS initially released in 2003. Players will be delighted to learn that XIII’s remake will be available the 13th of November 2019 on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PC and Mac!

Based on the first five volumes of the eponymous comic book series, XIII conquered the gamers’ hearts with its unparalleled mix between a story-driven adventure, a solid gameplay and a unique artistic direction.

“We aim to craft the finest adventure for players and XIII is definitely in line with our publishing strategy. Revisiting this game came naturally as we felt this unique kind of story driven FPS experience was missing in today’s gaming landscape. Our goal is to bring XIII’s compelling story to a new generation of players with the best possible graphics and animations.” Declares François Coulon – Head of Production at Microïds

The PlayMagic team is very excited for the opportunity to remake a true classic; modernizing the graphics, sound and animations while remaining faithful to the original XIII’s incredible look and feel. XIII’s gameplay mechanics are being reworked in an effort to modernize the experience in a way that encompasses the original spirit of the game. We are sure that the fans of the original game will love rediscovering one of their all time favorites while new players discover a truly iconic masterpiece in a new light.” Declares Giuseppe Crugliano, CEO & Creative Director at PlayMagic Ltd.

The story:

Play as «Thirteen», a talented soldier who lost his memory and has been accused of killing the President of the United States. You wake up injured and amnesic on Brighton Beach with the only clue being a small key and a mysterious tattoo « XIII » next to your clavicle. It’s now your job to search for answers in the 34 levels of the solo campaign. Don’t worry, you will find the appropriate weapon arsenal along the way.

More information about this remake will be revealed soon… Stay tuned!

XIII’s remake will be available the 13th of November 2019, both in physical and in digital editions on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PC and Mac. The rating is still pending.

No screenshots or anything now. Just an image of 3D model from PS blog:

d6WOSZD.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I finished that game recently, though it was another "lost in time game" forgotten by players and publishers and it's lost after Ubisoft removed it from the digital stores.
Good game but there were so much games back then it was overlooked, often by some awful games that were highly hyped at release.

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
These oldies are better served getting the Nightdive treatment rather than complete remasters. Modern engines simply can't replicate the feel of old shooters, and developers will likely be at the liberty of making alterations to the detriment of the game design's original spirit.

I've been recently replaying NOLF1 with dgvoodoo2 and had a blast. Maybe I should do the same now with XIII...

Last edited:

Love

Cipher
Good thing I already forgot reading the comics after the frustrating ending of the original. They're not going to do this again, are they? :rpgcodex:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Have the original on GOG, played through it a few years ago. It's very flawed because of being an early console FPS, but the core is good. Would be interested in a well done remake, we shall see.

It'd be interesting if they had the original writers (or at least someone capable of carrying on someone else's story in a logical fashion) and added an extra bit of game in to finish the cliffhanger. See also Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena. Now, if memory serves that wasn't as good as the original base game, but I guess I'd say I'm just generally in favor of remakes that actually add something to the original and aren't just paid resolution and texture patches. In any case, it'll be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Pure incline. I loved the game, it's been far too long since I played it, I recall that the multiplayer servers for it were still running in 2012 or so. I have a PS2 copy of it too.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
These oldies are better served getting the Nightdive treatment rather than complete remasters. Modern engines simply can't replicate the feel of old shooters, and developers will likely be at the liberty of making alterations to the detriment of the game design's original spirit.

I've been recently replaying NOLF1 with dgvoodoo2 and had a blast. Maybe I should do the same now with XIII...
Night Dive treatment = packaging fan patches and slapping a price tag on them.

Venser

Erudite
The game aged so well you could easily mistake it for a new release so what's the point of remaking it?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
IIRC, the game ended in a cliffhanger... gimme a sequel dammit! :argh:

Or maybe this time they will closely follow the actual XIII comic? It's basically a Belgian Bourne Identity.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
XIII had terrible stealth sections and utterly annoying health sponge bosses (especially the last one whose hitscan weaponry requires you to have nigh-perfect timing or you just won't have enough health to get through it). Ideally, they'll cut those parts out. :M

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm replaying Return to Castle Wolfenstein right now and it has a super annoying stealth level and bullet sponge zombies, but people still (rightly) call it a great game.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
IIRC, the game ended in a cliffhanger... gimme a sequel dammit! :argh:

Or maybe this time they will closely follow the actual XIII comic? It's basically a Belgian Bourne Identity.

Especially that now that cycle of the comic is finished (the game was released in 2003, there was 4 more comics after that).

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
:incline:

XIII definitely had shitty parts, but I remember enjoying the hell out of it and would definitely play a remake, especially on PC.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Could use some work but with a year left they can still sort things out. It is the first real game by the studio. I think the lighting should be flatter and they should work with the shaders a fair bit more.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I played the GOG release a few years ago and honestly don't remember it looking much different. I'm sure in a head-to-head I'd be proven wrong, but... meh.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
iirc, the original XIII just looked a lot blockier. This remake looks significantly smoother and better textured.

I'm sure that's true, but with the art style I'm just not sure I care much. What I would care more about is if they make it feel more PC friendly, because I vaguely remember the original having a lot of console port issues. There's far from any guarantee this won't feel similar though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom