Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Ultima 6 Project - remake in Dungeon Siege engine

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The fucking 3rd person view sucks out all the fun of Sutek's Castle, the kind of mapping challenge I like in a first person view game. Fucking pathfinding, fucking monsters attacking through walls and fucking trying to just move the party through doors is rage inducing. :rage:

Oh, and I suddenly got a message that one of my companions had died. Should I be worried, considering none of those actually in the party died?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I think I'm nearing the end now.
Im halfway through the Pirate Cave, collected most of the components for the Balloon, and I've explored all of the dungeons except Deceit and Hythloth.
Overall I think the dungeon design is great. I especially like Destard with its lava theme. Funny how Morrowind and Oblivion did the overland so much better, but the older Dungeon Siege can have much better dungeons.
Some of them are a bit too Diablo like, like the caves between Britain and Buccaneer's Den.
And Wrong was the most disturbing of them, having to kill "little boys" and hearing their death cries. Was this also in the original? Why would the Avatar kill little boys?
The Ant Cave was interesting. I loaded the Avatar up with Rings of Invisibility and sent him alone to retrive one of the map pieces. It was more rewarding than doing anticide would have been.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yay, finally finished the game!
Used 95 hours, so it's a huge game.

All in all a brilliant game.
Since I never played the original U6 (only explored half of British' castle), nor Dungeon Siege, it's hard for me to say how faithful the remake is, but I know it was much more playable than the orignal. Most of the annoyances (camera control, pathfinding, frequent crashes) with U6P was due to the Dungeon Siege engine. Using the increased view distance mod may have contributed to the crashings, though.

The things I liked:

Good writing and decent story.

Open ended, with lots of minor quests.

NPCs are quite fleshed out have more personality than in most other CRPGs.

Some very well designed dungeons. Overland was well done as well, but the limitations of the DS engine was more evident.

Nice music.

Very well paced and balanced. At the end of the game that wounded guy in Cove had just recovered and half my party was lvl 8.

So-so:
Combat was better than in U4 and original U6, and it was quick. But it rarely got tactical and I hardly used any combat spells. Just spamming Magic Bows, with Avatar, Dupre and Shamino switching to Magic Swords if enemies got too close.

Things I disliked:

Too many crashes.

Pathfinding could be infurating some times, especially when you have progressed a great deal and notice one or more of the wankers are standing and spinning in a different part of the dungeon.

Boring item system. You never find anything better than Magic Bows, Magic Swords and Magic Armour, except for one Triple Crossbow. No really good weapons for Fighter and Tinkers, since they can't use magic weapons.
Storm Cloak is way overpowered since it negated spell casting, and makes potentially frightening enemies like Daemons totally harmless.
Very small selection of magical Rings and other equipment.

The murder mystery in Skara Brae didn't make much sense. There's no in game evidence, so I just ended up guessing. I thought I had to complete this quest to get the Rune of Spirituality.
Not being able to ask the ghost of Quenten about the Rune.

Having to steal books from the library to complete some quests.

Not being able to ask for directions. Had a hell of a time finding Penumbra in Moonglow, who for some reason was hiding in crypts behind massive magic fields.

No in-game hint (AFAIK) that ships will be available for sale after having free the five main land Shrines. I spent too much time looking for pirate ships or underground routes...

Too high respawn rate. All dungeons and reagents respawn in one day.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Boring item system. You never find anything better than Magic Bows, Magic Swords and Magic Armour, except for one Triple Crossbow. No really good weapons for Fighter and Tinkers, since they can't use magic weapons.

Storm Cloak is way overpowered since it negated spell casting, and makes potentially frightening enemies like Daemons totally harmless.
Very small selection of magical Rings and other equipment.

Not being able to ask the ghost of Quenten about the Rune.

Not being able to ask for directions. Had a hell of a time finding Penumbra in Moonglow, who for some reason was hiding in crypts behind massive magic fields.

All of those are how they are in the original game.

Redeye

Arcane
Lazarus is certainly nice once you get the hang of it. Beginnings are rough. but after you gain a few levels and find some magical equipment it gains momentum.
Take good care to pick up the quest items that get dropped by NPC, which happens everytime a NPC says that he gives you something.
I had to rely on console commands to give me some quest items that dissappeared after I had failed to pick them up.

Do you know where I can find a list of U5 Lazarus console commands?

I got Sedemihcra the Owl very early on and it seems to have disappeared from inventory.
Also I need that book for Sin Vraal.

Aside from that I'm almost done.

Gord

Arcane
Do you know where I can find a list of U5 Lazarus console commands?

I got Sedemihcra the Owl very early on and it seems to have disappeared from inventory.
Also I need that book for Sin Vraal.

Aside from that I'm almost done.

Unfortunately I can only tell you how to activate debug mode and the command to give you items ("GIVE", d'oh).
You still need the item codes, though, which I don't have. You could try their forums, but it might take a while until you get an response.
Below is the answer I got from my forum post there some time ago:
Hi,

sorry that it took a while, but most of us are not here regularly any more. I have a question at first. Did you go back and check if the items your are missing are still at the point you forgot to pick them up? IIRC all relevant quest items should stay in the world, but perhaps we never finished that task.

Ok, here is how to enable debug functionality. Press enter and the console will open up. Then enter the following
SPAM
[pressEnter]-(close console)
[pressEnter]-(open console)
SPAM
SPAM
HUMBUG

You should get a message that debug functionality has been enabled. Then open up the console again and enter

GIVE scroll_laz-signeddeclaration
and [press Enter]

For the signed sheet use:
GIVE uvl_sheetmusic_signed

I hope I still remember things correctly and it will work. If not just send me a PM and I will take a look.

Cheers,
Ozzy

Redeye

Arcane
Unfortunately I can only tell you how to activate debug mode and the command to give you items ("GIVE", d'oh).
You still need the item codes, though, which I don't have. You could try their forums, but it might take a while until you get an response.
Below is the answer I got from my forum post there some time ago:

Thank you!

Also thank you for responding so quickly!

As for the quest items- I can't find the book anywhere (it has been weeks RT since I forgot to pick it up), and the owl was in inventory for almost as long. I just noticed it was missing a couple of days ago. It might have been lost in a grapple bug (near Serpent's Pass) that made party members and inventory disappear. I kept reloading until it looked like everything was back, then avoided that grapple point afterward.

Last edited:

Gord

Arcane
Yeah, it's a shame that the game is still a bit buggy (with some potentially gamebreaking), but no more patches will be made.
Then again the DS engine is pretty dated now anyway, and better alternatives might arise.

Redeye

Arcane
Yeah, it's a shame that the game is still a bit buggy (with some potentially gamebreaking), but no more patches will be made.
Then again the DS engine is pretty dated now anyway, and better alternatives might arise.

I wonder about that Captain Johne-Sutek-Jacquiline-Gregory thing. Is that just a Red Herring?
I'm trying various combinations of sequences of speaking, but can't find one that works.
Perhaps I need to have not resolved the Gregory quest to get the right dialog options, or it is just an uncompleted thing, or maybe it is just intriguing backstory/possibility included as a mindfuck.

Gord

Arcane
Don't know, sorry. I played it 2 years ago and have forgotten many of the details. While looking for the infos for you yesterday, I discovered an old thread I had made there that contained a short list of bugs and exploits I had run into, which I had mostly forgotten about, too. Was interesting to refresh my memory, since some of them caused a fair amount of butthurt to me. I wonder if someone would like to make another remake in the D:OS engine, once the construction set for it is out.
Anyway, as I said, you can always try asking a question on their forums, even if the devs don't come there often nowadays, there still might be other players that know more.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Started playing this, seems really good so far with the exception of the dungeon siege engine. The DS engine makes the castle look really bland and the rooms are HUUUUGE with lots of empty space that seem unneeded.

Question; Are there no maps in game for dungeons? I see how you can view the world map and put pins on it, does this not exist for dungeons?

Also it appears to auto map I need gems and they are one time use correct? (I think I change change that setting though so I might)

I know there is a compendium to read by I get ADD really quick

Edit post; nevermind it's the TAB key if you disable gem use. How common are gems? If they are hard to find might disable this option.

Last edited:

Morkar Left

The mods are pretty good actually. Some things regarding character advancement are dated but true to the original games. If you like Ultima definitely worth a try.

Deleted Member 16721

How do I install it and what do I need?

In b4 urmom, gay jokes and whatever else you fucks post about.

Deleted Member 16721

Setup doesn't work, it says I need to have DUngeon Siege installed, which I do, both in Steam and Program Files. What gives?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom